Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/12/2014 4:55:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher]
It's fairly common to hear a person say they want to buy a shotgun to shoot "skeet" or "trap". Often these folks don't understand that these terms have a specific meaning to shotgun folks. By request, here's a basic primer:

SKEET is a specific game. It's shot on a half-moon shaped skeet field. Every skeet field anywhere is laid out exactly the same.  A skeet field has 8 shooting stations -- seven around a half circle like a clock, and the 8th in the center (where the hands of a clock would be attached if the whole thing were a clock face). The birds are thrown from two houses, one low and one high. As the shooters (usually squads of five or less) move their way around the half circle they see/shoot birds at a bunch of different angles -- everything from straight on and going away to crossing. There is a 25-shot course of fire, with a specific number of shots at each station (two singles and a double at stations 1, 2, 6, and 7 and two singles everywhere else).

Skeet can be shot with any gauge and, in fact, tournament level skeet shooting has events for four gauges: 12, 20, 28 and .410. At the distances skeet is shot at there really is not much advantage to the bigger gauges (though I wouldn't bet against anybody who can clean 25 with a .410). Shotguns for skeet have open chokes, typically "skeet", but cylinder bore or improved cylinder works fine. Longer barrels (28" or longer) are preferred since they tend to smooth out your swing and encourage follow-through. Repeating shotguns are necessary because the four doubles in the course of fire require quick follow-up shots. While over/under shotguns are probably the most common choice among experienced skeet shooters, any repeater will work, even pumps if you're fast enough.

Skeet is a very social game that allows opportunity for friendly banter between stations. Because any gauge and type of shotgun will work you see a lot of guys bringing out their latest toys to shoot a round of skeet.

TRAP is also a specific game. Up to five shooters participate at a time, each taking their place in one of five positions located 16 yards behind a central trap (or bird throwing machine). All birds in trap are heading away from the shooter but the angle of presentation is random as the trap machine is constantly oscillating back and forth within a 54 degree arc. Shooters fire five shots from each of the five positions for a round of 25. More advanced shooters progress to handicap trap and take positions farther back from the trap house. As the name implies, Singles Trap involves only one bird being thrown at a time. In Doubles Trap, participants must shoot two birds thrown simultaneously.

Trap is a 12 gauge game. It's rare to see anyone use any other gauge, especially in competition. Tighter chokes -- modified to full -- are the rule with trap guns. Longer barrels are preferred, typically 30 inches or longer. Dedicated trap guns often have high ribs and straight or Monte Carlo style stocks, but almost any 12 gauge shotgun with a tight choke will work. Beginners (and even some old hands) start with a pump gun, loading only one shot at a time when they're ready to fire. Break-barrel single-shot trap guns are also popular. Over/unders are popular for doubles trap (or for singles, though only one barrel is loaded). Semi-automatics may also be used but are often frowned on by the guy standing to the shooter's right if a shell catcher is not used.

Trap is a fast-paced game with each shooter calling for his next bird as soon as the shooter to his left has fired. Many trap fields use voice-activated callers so chatter is kept to a minimum. Any social activity occurs between rounds.

SPORTING CLAYS
is like golf with a shotgun. It involves moving from station to station and shooting at a variety of targets and presentations in a more of less natural setting (woods, pastures, etc.). Usually, shots are set up to mimic some sort of hunting situation. High flying geese, flushing quail and bouncing rabbits are all possibilities. Courses typically are set up for either 50 or 100 shots. You may be presented with singles, "report pairs" or true pairs.  Every sporting clays course is different and the design is limited only by topography, landscape and the course creator's imagination and budget.

Because every sporting clays course is different it's hard to generalize about shotgun needs. At some courses, a 28 gauge gun with open chokes will suffice, while another course may present long shots that require a tight choked 12 gauge. Interchangeable chokes are definitely useful. A repeater is a must as doubles will be be the norm. Semi-automatic shotguns are extremely popular among sporting clays shooters, though over/unders are quite common as well. Again, pumps will work but you must be fast on the slide. Like any shotgun game that involves moving targets, longer barrels will smooth out your swing and encourage proper follow through. These days, 30 and 32 inch long barrels on are popular on over/unders, while most semi-autos sport 28-30" tubes.

Sporting clays is an extremely social game. Much like golf, a lot of the enjoyment comes from the time spent with a few friends, walking or driving the course, encouraging each other and giving each other grief over flubbed shots.

FIVE STAND
is combines the variety of angles and shot presentations that you might get on a sporting clays course with the convenience of fixed shooting location. I've not actually shot any five stand so I won't go into detail. As I understand it, shooters take their place on each of five stands and will see/shoot targets that come from traps strategically positioned around the stands. Like sporting clays, every course is different and course designers spend every waking hour dreaming up vexing shot presentations.

ETA: I've had opportunity to shoot some five stand. THe only thing I will add is that five stand is quite fast-paced, much like trap. While a shotgun with interchangeable chokes is definitely a good idea, it's not likely you'll have time to change chokes between shooting turns. You just pick one or two chokes that covers most of the shots you'll see and then go with it. Fun game!

BACKYARD or PASTURE CLAYS
is what happens when guys and gals toss clay birds with a hand thrower or small portable trap in an informal setting and shoot at them with a shotgun. Any shotgun is acceptable, including your 18" 870.

GENERAL CLAYS GUIDELINES:

As with any organized/formal shooting sport, safety is paramount. If you're going to a skeet, trap or clays range you will be expected to wear hearing and eye protection. Until you are inside a designated shooting station the action of your shotgun will remain OPEN (this is one reason break barrel guns are so popular with the shotgun sports). You do not load your gun until you are in position to shoot. You never load more shells than are needed for the station. This means that in skeet or sporting clays you never load more than two shells and only once you're inside the "box." When shooting trap, you should not close your action on a live round until the shooter to your left has fired and it's your turn to call for a bird.

Target ammunition is what you want when shooting skeet, trap or clays. Typical shot sizes are from 7-1/2 (trap) to number 9 shot (skeet) - 8 shot is a good compromise. Hot loads are not necessary or desired. In 12 gauge 1 ounce loads are fine for skeet, though a lot of guys will shoot 1-1/8 ounce for trap or clays. Low recoil is good. You're going to be shooting a lot.

Whichever sport you try, bring along a vest or a pouch and belt to hold your shells. Most skeet and trap places expect you to pick up your empty hulls, though reloaders don't need to be told to do that. Not having to chase hulls is one of the biggest reason shotgun shooters like break-barrel guns.

Finally, wear a hat. Not only will a hat shield your eyes from the sun, but your buddies will want to shoot your hat when you finish your first perfect round. Shoot your first 25 in skeet or trap, prepare to get your hat shot. Shoot 100 straight? Opps, sorry about your hat . . .

ETA: Prompted by the comments of Imaposer2, I'd like to add that, for the most part, shotgun shooters are pretty welcoming. It really doesn't matter what kind of shotgun you have or how much experience you have. They want to see new shooters (they should anyway) and they're going to do what they can to get you started. If that means loaning you a choke tube they'll do that. If it means loaning you a gun for the day, they'll probably do that, too. Don't sweat the gear part of it. That will all sort out. It's more important that you try the various games and see what appeals to you.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 5:34:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Pigeon Shoots. Big money and big fun.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 5:39:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By artman54:
View Quote

Do tell . . . details please.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 6:13:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Imaposer2] [#3]
Great synopsis of the clay games.  Well written and informative.  

Should be a sticky.

Just a couple of comments about some generalities that may or may not apply....

Autos for trap...  While in general, shooters don't enjoy getting pelted with the hulls from the shooter to their left.  I guess there's just something about standing there with your $15,000 O/U while some dufus stands there pelting you with empties that sorta pisses you off.  And it's considered good manners to attempt to prevent doing so to the shooter to your right.  Some sort of shell catcher or deflector is pretty easy to use and cheap to buy.  Even something as cheap and simple as putting a rubber band around your receiver will keep the empty in the gun until you pluck it out manually.  Just wanted to mention that so as to not discourage someone from giving trap a try just because they think they need a specific gun or can't use their auto.

Policing shells...  Yep, at many fields it is considered good form to pick up your empties and you may be frowned upon if you don't... at my field that isn't the case at all.  In fact, the first time I shot there that was my mindset.  I really didn't pay much attention to what other shooters were doing I guess because I was using an O/U and putting my hand over the action to catch the shells as I opened the gun and throwing them in a box placed at each station.  I missed a few and bent to pick them up as I went along.  Once or twice the trapper said, "you don't have to do that".  I thought he was just being nice because I was the only one shooting on his range at the time.  Then down around station 4 I did it again, and he finally said, "really, you don't need to do that.  That's my job".  After that round I walked around observing some other fields and noticed that no one was picking up hulls unless they were taking them with them (reloaders) and that the end of each round the trappers were sweeping them up and disposing of them.  Moral of this story?  Pay attention to the regulars at a new to you range and follow suit with what is expected there.  If new, play by the rules of the house where you play....

Barrel length...  Things have been trending toward longer barrels for the reasons cited.  But, keep in mind that autos have longer receivers so the while the specific barrel lengths mentioned above are good general guidelines, they sound more specific to an O/U.  If you're using an auto you may not want one quite that long.  It's also pretty common to add weight to the mag tube on an auto in order to change the balance and swing to an individual's taste.  It really depends on personal preference and what works for an individual though.

I guess one reason I mentioned these things is that some people that may otherwise be interested in trying one or more of the clay sports may be put off by the high cost of a quality O/U.  Sure, if you love it and stick with it, you may decide to move up to an O/U one day if it suits you.  But, a nice used 1100 can be bought for around $400 or so and they make great guns to get into the sport with, and without breaking the bank.  In fact, there's still a lot of pretty serious competitive shooters that prefer autos including 1100s.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 6:37:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#4]
Originally Posted By Imaposer2:
Great synopsis of the clay games.  Well written and informative.  

Should be a sticky.

Just a couple of comments about some generalities that may or may not apply....

Autos for trap...  While in general, shooters don't enjoy getting pelted with the hulls from the shooter to their left.  I guess there's just something about standing there with your $15,000 O/U while some dufus stands there pelting you with empties that sorta pisses you off.  And it's considered good manners to attempt to prevent doing so to the shooter to your right.  Some sort of shell catcher or deflector is pretty easy to use and cheap to buy.  Even something as cheap and simple as putting a rubber band around your receiver will keep the empty in the gun until you pluck it out manually.  Just wanted to mention that so as to not discourage someone from giving trap a try just because they think they need a specific gun or can't use their auto . . . .

Barrel length...  Things have been trending toward longer barrels for the reasons cited.  But, keep in mind that autos have longer receivers so the while the specific barrel lengths mentioned above are good general guidelines, they sound more specific to an O/U.  If you're using an auto you may not want one quite that long.  It's also pretty common to add weight to the mag tube on an auto in order to change the balance and swing to an individual's taste.  It really depends on personal preference and what works for an individual though.

I guess one reason I mentioned these things is that some people that may otherwise be interested in trying one or more of the clay sports may be put off by the high cost of a quality O/U.  Sure, if you love it and stick with it, you may decide to move up to an O/U one day if it suits you.  But, a nice used 1100 can be bought for around $400 or so and they make great guns to get into the sport with, and without breaking the bank.  In fact, there's still a lot of pretty serious competitive shooters that prefer autos including 1100s.
View Quote

You're absolutely right. I don't want to discourage anyone. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of "this is what you'll see" or "the current fad and fashion is . . . " I should have made clear that with the shotgun sports there is a shoot what you've got attitude among most shooters. As long as you're safe, most guys won't care what you're shooting. If what you brung is completely wrong for the game, usually there's somebody who will offer up a loaner for the day.

Regarding barrel length: Folks new to shotguns often don't understand the role of barrel length. It's all about feel and balance. Specifically, it's about swing. Short barrels are "fast." They're easy to swing fast but they also stop fast. Stopping equals missing when trying to shoot a moving target. Longer barrels smooth out your swing and encourage follow-through so that the shooter continues his swing even after he's pulled the bang switch. That's the key to hitting moving targets. The trend and fashion in recent years has been longer and longer barrels. About 40 years ago there was a buzz about shorter barrels for skeet and you saw a lot of 26" barrels on over/under shotguns. Today, those guns languish on dealer's used gun racks. Hunters are about the only folks who still want them. Even 28" barrels are considered short on a break-barrel gun these days. (BTW, Imaposer2 is absolutely right about the the added receiver length of semi-autos/pumps. A 28" barrel is still considered normal on autos and pumps).

If you talk to an old guy, they'll swear that the longer barrels "hit harder" or shoot tighter, but that's only because in the days of fixed choke barrels, the manufacturers sold long barrels with full chokes, medium barrels with modified chokes and short barrels with open chokes. Those were your only choices. Today, with interchangeable chokes, you can have a 20 inch barrel that shoots the same pattern as a 30 inch barrel . . . just by changing the choke tube. So, a shorter barrel gun can be used for any of the shotgun sports. The barrel can be set up to throw the needed shot pattern, but the handling dynamics of a short, fast gun may not be conducive to a smooth, even swing and proper follow-through.

BTW, typically riot guns and other really short barrel shotguns are not all that welcome in skeet/trap. That has as much to do with tradition and the desire to see new people acclimate to the culture of the shotgun sports as anything. It's certainly POSSIBLE to shoot skeet with a riot gun. In fact, during one of our club tournaments we had a fun shoot "riot round." We provided the shotguns -- each one with a barrel 20-inch or shorter and most of them were pumps. It was great fun watching the guys who were used to shooting only long barrel over/unders trying to swing those light whippy guns and forgetting to pump for their doubles.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 7:05:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I was a skeet guy for several years and it's like the most addictive thing evar!

I wouldn't let them shoot my Tilley hat when I got my first straight though.  I love my Tilley.  

Link Posted: 6/12/2014 7:31:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Bladeswitcher:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I've never been to one, but you can find more info here
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 7:45:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Serious fun!
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 8:02:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By M-60:
I was a skeet guy for several years and it's like the most addictive thing evar!

I wouldn't let them shoot my Tilley hat when I got my first straight though.  I love my Tilley.  

View Quote

I love my Tilley, too, but if I'm wearing it when I shoot my first 25, it's getting shot. I know better than to wear my Tilley to the skeet field though.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 11:10:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 7:45:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#10]
Originally Posted By mike103:
I just ask that this thread remain informational and not degrade into a anti fud diatribe.
View Quote

Whenever I see some arfcommer make a disparaging remark about "Fudds" I think of one old boy I shoot skeet with. He's 83 years old and, at first glance, would seem to be the prototype Fudd. However, I happen to know that the guy owns three or four AR-15 rifles and a .308 AR. He also shoots 1,000-yard bench rest and loves big bore handguns. A lot of these so-called Fudds would put your average ARFcommer to shame if you saw inside their safes. Don't judge a book by its cover.

As a noted member of this forum is known to say, "shooting stuff is fun." For those who haven't done it, I would encourage them to come on out and give the shotgun sports a try. You may find that there's an enjoyable and challenging aspect of shooting that you've been missing.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:00:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Whenever I see some arfcommer make a disparaging remark about "Fudds" I think of one old boy I shoot skeet with. He's 83 years old and, at first glance, would seem to be the prototype Fudd. However, I happen to know that the guy owns three or four AR-15 rifles and a .308 AR. He also shoots 1,000-yard bench rest and loves big bore handguns. A lot of these so-called Fudds would put your average ARFcommer to shame if you saw inside their safes. Don't judge a book by its cover.

As a noted member of this forum is known to say, "shooting stuff is fun." For those who haven't done it, I would encourage them to come on out and give the shotgun sports a try. You may find that there's an enjoyable and challenging aspect of shooting that you've been missing.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mike103:
I just ask that this thread remain informational and not degrade into a anti fud diatribe.

What is funny too is that "fudd" guns tend to get used for their intended purposes a lot more than tacticool rigs. While my HD ar15 is sitting at home my shotguns are getting muddy and scratched in field or my bolt guns are taking game or traveling thousands of miles for hunts. Who is goofier, the basement dweller decked out in 5.11 or the 60 year old wearing red heads with a vest full of pheasant?

Great post OP. My father in law isn't a big shotgunner (yet) but enjoys shooting Wobble. I haven't tried it yet, I shoot a lot of trap and sporting clays, but it seems fun. From wikipedia:

A variant of standard trap is Wobble or Wobble trap. The main difference is a more variable target flight path than in standard trap shooting because the trap machine oscillates up and down as well as side to side. Shooters are allowed two shots per pull, and shooters at stations 1 and 5 stand at the 18 yard (16.5 m) mark while positions 2–4 stand at the 17 yard (15.5 m) mark. Although this version of trap is not sanctioned by the ATA, many shooters consider it to be both more challenging and engaging as well as a more realistic preparation for bird hunting.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 9:12:48 AM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

serious money..................
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 10:17:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Slug-O:

View All Quotes

Regular clays games are expensive enough. If you don't reload, figure $6-$7 a box for 12 gauge and another $4 or $5 for your birds (at cheaper places). You shoot 100 rounds of skeet or trap and you've spent about $50. Sporting clays is even higher. Do that a couple of weekends a month and you've got a fairly pricy hobby.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 10:27:53 AM EDT
[#15]
More clay target game info to go along with Bladeswitcher's excellent post.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 11:11:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Regular clays games are expensive enough. If you don't reload, figure $6-$7 a box for 12 gauge and another $4 or $5 for your birds (at cheaper places). You shoot 100 rounds of skeet or trap and you've spent about $50. Sporting clays is even higher. Do that a couple of weekends a month and you've got a fairly pricy hobby.
View All Quotes

It's all about perspective I suppose...

I have friends that are golfers (thousands in clubs, balls, green fees, cart rental, etc)...  I have friends that are bass fishermen ($70,000 boats, $50,000 trucks to tow it with, thousands in gear and equipment, fuel, tournament entry fees, etc)...  I have friends that are rec pilots (plane, hangar fees, maintenance, fuel, etc)...   I have friends that spend a lot of time in bars (drinks, women, etc )...  The list goes on and on.

I have a few hobbies myself, and while nothing I do is extravagant, most things that I really enjoy and consider a hobby cost money.  Personally, in the greater scheme of things, I don't consider trap/skeet all that terribly expensive.  

My local range costs $6.75 a round (25 targets) and sells ammo at $7.90 a box.  They also have rental guns at $9.00 a day.  I recently picked up a couple of cases of ammo at BPS when they had a sale on Federal target loads for $5.00 a box.  So, with my on sale ammo I can shoot four rounds of either skeet or trap for $47.00.  Not exactly cheap, but not a deal breaker for me as a form of recreation.

Since I assume that most people here are into some sort of shooting sport, I'd compare those costs to other related expenses in other forms of shooting.  Ammo cost wise, it isn't all that bad, IMO.  If you shoot at formal ranges you're most likely paying range fees to shoot paper targets.  Hell, with the ammo shortages even plinking with your .22 in the back forty ain't exactly "cheap" these days...

I enjoy most forms of shooting actually.  But, hitting a small fast moving target IS FUN!..  Then again, I enjoy firearms in general, pistols, revolvers, rifles, shotguns, etc.  I don't see the whole tactical vs. Fudd thing.  We all enjoy making noise and breaking shit, right?  

If you enjoy shooting I recommend you give some of the clay games a try.  Even if you're only interested in tactical guns and matches, you might find that a little cross training in another discipline could improve you skills.  And who knows?  You might even have some FUN.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 12:21:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#17]

I have friends that are golfers (thousands in clubs, balls, green fees, cart rental, etc)...  I have friends that are bass fishermen ($70,000 boats, $50,000 trucks to tow it with, thousands in gear and equipment, fuel, tournament entry fees, etc)...  I have friends that are rec pilots (plane, hangar fees, maintenance, fuel, etc)...   I have friends that spend a lot of time in bars (drinks, women, etc )...  The list goes on and on . . . . .
View All Quotes

I have friends that are golfers (thousands in clubs, balls, green fees, cart rental, etc)...  I have friends that are bass fishermen ($70,000 boats, $50,000 trucks to tow it with, thousands in gear and equipment, fuel, tournament entry fees, etc)...  I have friends that are rec pilots (plane, hangar fees, maintenance, fuel, etc)...   I have friends that spend a lot of time in bars (drinks, women, etc )...  The list goes on and on . . . . .

All hobbies cost the same . . . ALL you have to spend!

I enjoy most forms of shooting actually.  But, hitting a small fast moving target IS FUN!..  Then again, I enjoy firearms in general, pistols, revolvers, rifles, shotguns, etc.  I don't see the whole tactical vs. Fudd thing.  We all enjoy making noise and breaking shit, right?  

If you enjoy shooting I recommend you give some of the clay games a try.
 Even if you're only interested in tactical guns and matches, you might find that a little cross training in another discipline could improve you skills.  And who knows?  You might even have some FUN.

And that really is the point of all this, isn't it? . . .
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 1:18:13 PM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

EXCELLENT point!  And VERY true.

I have too many hobbies...  What does that say about my finances?  

But, I'm having fun!  

And that really is the point of all this, isn't it? . . .

Yes SIR, it sure is...  
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 9:40:57 PM EDT
[#19]
You guys have inspired me...I am on the  field right now, first Skeet I've shot in 5 years

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 10:38:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By GunCat:
You guys have inspired me...I am on the  field right now, first Skeet I've shot in 5 years

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

. . . but only after you're done shooting, of course . . .
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:53:05 PM EDT
[#21]
There have been a few post about Big money and big fun.!!!
No one has mention the really fun/ money game with a shotgun.
Does anyone play Oakley? Or Chip? Or International? There are others!
Am I the only one who has donated  hard earned money to these games????

PITA45
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 4:39:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I love these games, and shoot "trap" every weekend. Me and my buddies go set up his little trap in a field and just guess where were supposed to stand and blast away. As for guns, I shoot a Browning Maxus (my fowl gun) because of its pattern, with the 26" barrel and my improved cylinder or modified choke it patterns every bit as good as my dad's browning lightning sporting clays O/U which was the gun he used to shoot in competition so if you have an auto, and don't mind some dirty looks from the guys next to you when your gun slings shells all over them, go out there and shoot, you don't have to have the most expensive gun you can find. I just wouldn't go with a pump because if you start shooting doubles you might not have as much fun.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:48:11 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm really looking forward to getting into clays.  Mostly skeet and trap probably
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:27:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By vtgunner:
I'm really looking forward to getting into clays.  Mostly skeet and trap probably
View Quote

Aside from the fact that skeet and trap are two different disciplines with different techniques, equipment, etc., you'll likely find that they are two completely different crowds/cultures. I suppose there are exceptions, but in my experience, skeet shooters are more social and laid back than trap shooters. Trap shooters tend to be an older crowd and pretty much all business. Any socializing they do is between rounds while the skeet shooters visit and "encourage" each other on the stations. These observations are only based on the local clubs I visit, though. At the tournament level, I'm sure skeet guys are pretty serious as well.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:48:01 AM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

Live pigeons. They have to be knocked down and retrieved in ring that's not to large. You don't know which box their coming from nor which way they'll fly. Toughest shooting sport there is and what trap, skeet, and sporting clays originated from.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:36:46 PM EDT
[#26]

Aside from the fact that skeet and trap are two different disciplines with different techniques, equipment, etc., you'll likely find that they are two completely different crowds/cultures. I suppose there are exceptions, but in my experience, skeet shooters are more social and laid back than trap shooters. Trap shooters tend to be an older crowd and pretty much all business. Any socializing they do is between rounds while the skeet shooters visit and "encourage" each other on the stations. These observations are only based on the local clubs I visit, though. At the tournament level, I'm sure skeet guys are pretty serious as well.
View All Quotes

I'm aware they're two different games, didn't realize they had different "sub-cultures" though
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:56:06 PM EDT
[#27]

I'm aware they're two different games, didn't realize they had different "sub-cultures" though
View All Quotes

I'm sure it varies from club to club, but my experience is that the skeet guys are friendlier.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 1:01:52 PM EDT
[#28]

I'm sure it varies from club to club, but my experience is that the skeet guys are friendlier.
View Quote

It may be because I was raised by skeet shooters (I'm sure there's no bias there )  but at the club I shoot at the skeet shooters are more friendly.  Skeet is definitely a more social game, since only one person in the squad is shooting at a time, there is a lot more down time for everyone over the course of a game.  Since you spend most of the time just standing around, and talking, everyone gets to be pretty good friends after a couple rounds.

In trap its all business, everyone is separated by a few yards and you're always either shooting or about to shoot.  It doesn't promote talking very well.

And trap isn't a real game, since all the clays are going the same direction.  A monkey could do it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:24:46 PM EDT
[#29]

Allright, I'm hooked now.  Found a place not far from me that has practice, wobble trap, and sporting clays.  Last week a couple buddies and I went and had a blast.  Used a Ted Williams over under and a Remington 870 Express, both in 12 gauge.  Went back today with my daughter and a 20 gauge Stevens 311, did nothing but the practice range.  Freaking awesome.  Guys at work are trying to get the whole unit together to do the sporting clays course for our employee appreciation day.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:42:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Eli822:

Allright, I'm hooked now.  Found a place not far from me that has practice, wobble trap, and sporting clays.  Last week a couple buddies and I went and had a blast.  Used a Ted Williams over under and a Remington 870 Express, both in 12 gauge.  Went back today with my daughter and a 20 gauge Stevens 311, did nothing but the practice range.  Freaking awesome.  Guys at work are trying to get the whole unit together to do the sporting clays course for our employee appreciation day.
View Quote

Some of those Ted Williams over/unders were made in Japan by the same factory that made the Winchester 101.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:54:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Trap shooters hate it when you call it traps.

I hate traps but love skeet. Sporting clays is more fun with a riot  gun.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:24:20 AM EDT
[#32]

Originally Posted By GunCat:

More clay target game info to go along with Bladeswitcher's excellent post.
View Quote

One more game that's pretty popular in NoVA/MD is Wobble Trap, which I guess is a variant of 5-Stand.  

In the Wobble Trap setups around here, you have 5 stands right next to each other in a pyramid-like shape with one oscillating thrower underneath the center station.  The rules, which seem to vary regionally, involve shooters taking turns shooting a single shot at one clay, followed by a pair, followed by another pair - 5 shots total per shooter per round.  Shooter #1 goes first, followed by #2, and so on, until shooter #5 finishes, at which point everyone rotates to the next station to repeat the process.  

It's a nice, compact game which conveniently uses exactly one box of shells (unless something goes awry along the way), and it's good prep if you do any sort of canned-bird hunts where the dumb birds tend to not take flight until you're almost right on top of them.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Anyone been doing any clay shooting lately?  Finally got an over/under and have been itching to get out and shoot it
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 4:32:39 PM EDT
[#34]
great thread. as usual im late to the party.
i use clay shooting as my training for quacker off season. no better way to kick off the rust than to keep things moving and never let things get rusty.

bought a Remy VM around xmas. we put about 2 cases through remy before snows. laid down piles of snow geese in april but just doesnt quite quench my bird lust.
since then i have put an additional 3 cases through him towards skeet and sporting clays. (not a single failure btw with 7.5 rio)

shooting trap with my buddy (first timer) we were coached up on the rules for skeet. then we tried skeet.
oh man. like a junkie to a dead hobo we took skeet and went crazy. probably 20+ rds in the last 4 months he's bumped up to 16 avg and i am around 21. sooo much fun

so natural progression led us to being teased by sporting clays... man... o ....man what a blast.
wheretoshoot.org enter your zip and go shoot sporting clays.... you have to try this. its seriously frisbee golf, with a 12g, and no tie-dye. its a perfect combo.

we have done our local course now 3 times (78,63,72). i even took remy on vacation and shot another pathetic 63 there. but sooooo much fun.
shooting sporting clays this weekend locally as a fathers day gift and ive been thinking about it all week.

again great thread and hopefulyl some guys catch the unscratchable itch that is bluerock busting
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:56:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Trap, with a 12 ga semiauto, my O/U was beating  the snot out of my shoulder.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 9:46:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Last weekend I attended a Home Builders Association trap tournament, local president decided to try something different than the usual golf tournament. This is the third year and there were 50 shooters this year, lots of contractor teams with team T shirts. I asked the participants why they like this event and all said they don't golf but everyone has a shotgun in the closet and are proficient enough to blast a few clay pigeons with it. One of the vendors did a lunch set up with hamburgers and other vendors had door prizes, all in all it was a great event.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 7:48:02 AM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes
If you're paying that much for 12 ga. you aint shopping ! Cabelas in my AO was closing out Herters 12 gauge 8 shot for less than 5.00 per box. I bought 14 boxes that were on the shelf !
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 7:53:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By The_Raptor:
I love these games, and shoot "trap" every weekend. Me and my buddies go set up his little trap in a field and just guess where were supposed to stand and blast away. As for guns, I shoot a Browning Maxus (my fowl gun) because of its pattern, with the 26" barrel and my improved cylinder or modified choke it patterns every bit as good as my dad's browning lightning sporting clays O/U which was the gun he used to shoot in competition so if you have an auto, and don't mind some dirty looks from the guys next to you when your gun slings shells all over them, go out there and shoot, you don't have to have the most expensive gun you can find. I just wouldn't go with a pump because if you start shooting doubles you might not have as much fun.
View Quote
Nothing wrong with using a pump. Get faster. Watch some videos of Herb Parsons, he used a Winchester Model 12 during some of his shows.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 7:56:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#39]
Originally Posted By RickH11:

If you're paying that much for 12 ga. you aint shopping ! Cabelas in my AO was closing out Herters 12 gauge 8 shot for less than 5.00 per box. I bought 14 boxes that were on the shelf !
View Quote
I'm sorry to see the Herter's shells disappear. I was buying their light recoil shells for use in older side-by-sides. But even with free shipping and no sales tax, the cheapest I ever bought them was $48 per flat.

You might occasionally find shells for $5 per box locally, but when you add in sales tax (almost 8 percent in my area) you're up to almost $5.50. Dick's Sporting Goods (yeah, I know) sometimes runs $5 Remington Gun Clubs, pre-tax.

Stack 'em deep when you find the bargains. Fourteen boxes would last about two weekends for me.

ETA: Thanks for revising a dormant thread . . .
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 7:58:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Thank you. I wish you could post this in every newspaper.To me, people that use these words interchangeably,  is more frustrating  then clip/magazine.
I can't tell you how many times someone has told me about their weekend shooting "skeets" in their backyard.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 1:34:38 AM EDT
[#41]
You forgot International Trap and Skeet. You know, like they shoot in that little thing called the Summer Olympics.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 7:34:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#42]
Originally Posted By wtfboombrb:
You forgot International Trap and Skeet. You know, like they shoot in that little thing called the Summer Olympics.
View Quote
Feel free to tell us about it. How is it different? What do we need to know?

(BTW, I've shot a country-folk version of international skeet . . . low gun, delays and doubles all around, but without speeding up the machines . . .  It's a fun change of pace, but I generally prefer normal skeet.)
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 8:45:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: johnh57] [#43]
Shot a couple rounds of bunker (international) trap yesterday.  Its been a while.  Targets are much faster, IIRC they are set to throw 75 meters instead of 60 yards. The angles are more severe +/- 45 degrees instead of +/- 22.5, and they vary in height as well. Targets are a harder composition and a lower profile.

The field consists of 15 trap machines set up using 3 machines for each station.  One machine throws a right angled target, one throws a straight target, one throws a left target.  There is a computer controlled scheme that results in every station throwing 2 right targets, 2 left targets, and one straight away for every shooter, but you dont know which target you're going to get when.  By the end of a round every shooter will see exactly the same target presentation on all 25 of their targets and will get 10 right birds, 10 left birds, and 5 straightaway birds.

The proceedure is different from American trap.  You shoot at your target (2 shots allowed) and wait for the next shooter to shoot.  When the next shooter has shot and dismounted you step half way from your station to his.  When he steps off of his pad, you step onto it.  So you shoot once, move to next station, etc.  A full squad is actually 6 shooters because one guy is walking from sta.5 around to station 1.  We shot one squad of 4, you almost couldn't move fast enough from station to station to not violate your time.   There is a light on each voice call that lights up when that station is hot and its your turn to shoot.  Once that light turns on you have 12 seconds to close your gun, mount, and shoot.

No autoloaders allowed for various reasons.  Mostly I think because if you don't take your second shot you have to fool with unloading the thing while you're trying to move to the next station.  Done correctly they use 24 gram ammo, which is slightly less than 7/8 oz. and around 1300 fps.  We just  used 1 oz 2-3/4 dram loads, but they would not be legal in any competition.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 10:23:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#44]
Originally Posted By johnh57:
Shot a couple rounds of bunker (international) trap yesterday.  Its been a while.  Targets are much faster, IIRC they are set to throw 75 meters instead of 60 yards. The angles are more severe +/- 45 degrees instead of +/- 22.5, and they vary in height as well. Targets are a harder composition and a lower profile . . . (GREAT EXPLANATION SNIPPED) . . .
View Quote
Sounds like a great way to take your trap game to the next level. Might be a bit advanced for people trying the clays games for the first time, though.

Hey anything that gets people into the shotgun sports is cool by me. If international rules is what it takes, so be it . . .
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 10:37:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: johnh57] [#45]
I shoot more skeet than trap - but I've never shot a round of international skeet.

Our trap club has a bunker trap and does one or 2 registered competitions a year.

Our skeet machines can throw international targets but you have to put a more powerful spring and do some arm adjustments to accomodate the international targets to throw true international rules skeet.  To my knowledge no one has ever set one of the fields up though.

Bunker trap is humbling.  Really humbling.

I cant imagine how you break a high or low 8 low gun with a target moving 1/2  again faster than an american skeet target.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 1:32:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By cone256:
Anyone been doing any clay shooting lately?  Finally got an over/under and have been itching to get out and shoot it
View Quote
I try to get a round or two of skeet in twice a week.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 12:17:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Just got my O/U out for the first time this weekend to try sporting clays for the first time

I shot a 29/50 and had a great time

I'm curious what chokes to use ... I was using improved cylinder chokes in both barrels, and I have no idea if that's ideal or not

Anyone have some good literature or advice on the subject?
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 8:12:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#48]
Originally Posted By NotanATFagent:
Just got my O/U out for the first time this weekend to try sporting clays for the first time

I'm curious what chokes to use ... I was using improved cylinder chokes in both barrels, and I have no idea if that's ideal or not . . .
View Quote
Totally depends on the course you're shooting. At my local club, which has a bunch of fairly close-up presentations, I typically shoot light mod/light mod or maybe IC/Mod depending on the gun. Some courses require a bit more choke. Others, not so much.

Choke is way overrated. Don't sweat it too much. Focus on the targets instead.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 9:23:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By NotanATFagent:

I'm curious what chokes to use ... I was using improved cylinder chokes in both barrels, and I have no idea if that's ideal or not

Anyone have some good literature or advice on the subject?
View Quote
The simple answer is "It depends".

A lot of folks that I know that shoot sporting clays a lot, use LM, or M.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 8:43:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By M-60:

A lot of folks that I know that shoot sporting clays a lot, use LM, or M.  
View Quote
A LM or M will do fine for the vast majority of targets. Yeah, it's a bit tighter than you'd like for extreme close-up shots but still quite do-able. Besides, smoking birds does wonders for your confidence. The truly long shot that require tight choke are not that common on most courses. Most of the birds aren't as far as they look.

As much as people like to talk about the advantage of interchangeable chokes, you really don't want to be messing around screwing in chokes between stations. Your game will generally benefit from forgetting about choke and, instead, concentrate on just shooting the birds.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top