Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2013 11:11:38 PM EDT
Not sure where to post this but I may be purchasing a new house with about 10.25 acres. The lot is long and not wide and mostly wooded ( I'd say about 9 acres of it). So I am planning on putting a range that I can use to shoot on. I am thinking about making it atleast 300 yards or so with a bunch of different targets to shoot at, as well as use for handgun shooting. Like I said its just a plan and I don't have the property yet but it's wishful thinking. So, I'm pretty much looking for ideas or suggestions right now as well as any tips on how I should have it setup. I wouldn't mind seeing other setups if possible.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 5:56:33 AM EDT
[#1]

If I were in a position to start from scratch, I would design a dedicated gun room/ mancave /safe room/ into a walkout basement facing the range, engineered so I could shoot from there without having to haul the guns and range gear outside every time I wanted to shoot.
It would have to have good ventilation and soundproofing, but it sure would be a luxury to be able to handload right at the shooting bench, as you're test-firing loads.

Range safety would have to be considered from every possible angle to prevent shooting the meter-reader, nosy neighbor, etc. as he walked around the corner of your house into your firing line, of course.

An underground shooting tunnel wit a target carrier would be ideal from an opsec/safety standpoint, but would probably get costly real fast if you wanted to go to 300 yards, because you'd have to use large diameter culvert to accommodate the mid-range trajectories of any rounds you planned on firing.

Link Posted: 6/30/2013 8:15:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Before you start your plan, ask yourself these questions...

1.  What, if any noise ordinances are in place?
2. What is directly behind the property and more importantly, who owns it?
3.  Since the tract of land is narrow, are there any houses down range outside of your property line?  

If there are no hiccups answering those questions, then proceed with the wishful thinking.

300 yards of clearing out trees won't be fun.
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 9:21:42 AM EDT
[#3]
If you can source dirt right there on site that's a BIG benefit.  It would be nice if you could "cut" a back stop into the earth... any hills or elevation you could use to your advantage?

I simply sourced dirt from a pit already on my property to build a small berm and I used tires, filled with dirt, to make a back stop for a steel target shooting area.  Nothing like having your own range...
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I built my "dream home" In the country in 2005. 10 acres with 3/4 mile of corn/bean fields behind it and 3 hedgerows. I had the excavator build a huge backstop and pack it in as he went. I then built a target holder for it. I could get back easily 250 yards. It was a hoot while it lasted. I burned up a lot of ammo on it. Shot bowling pins, water jugs, tested pistols for penetration. I had a 30 X 40 Morton building set up to be a gunsmith shop. Nothing major, just re barrel rifles etc. It was an ideal set up. Then in 2006 I had a series of heart attacks. Had to move back to town. I really miss that place. I do have access to a very nice indoor range in Ottawa, KS. I go there when I can. I can only get out to 25 yards, but it is better than not shooting. Good luck with your range and HAVE FUN with it. I sure did.

Mark
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#5]
50 meters ave your dough learn Olympic shooting skills
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 8:40:43 AM EDT
[#6]
There's a bunch of fields behind the property. No houses on either side of it as well. Yeah cutting the trees down will be a pain in the ass, but I have plans to use the trees I cut down to make a shelter for when I'm shooting so they aren't gonna go to waste. Right now I don't think there is any dirt laying around that can be used bu I haven't gotten to venture all the way back to the end of the property to really see what it looks like. The woods are super dense either so that will help. I am thinking of building a small shelter up by the house for long range shooting and then way I the back I'll have it setup for handguns with different steel target and what not.
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 9:51:28 AM EDT
[#7]
OP,
I have a very similar setup.  I have 10 acres, 7 of it wooded.  The front 3 are cleared (former farm ground that's been graded and seeded 7-8 years ago).  I cut a 50 yard lane, into the woods, which created a 150 yard range.  The lane is just wide enough for my truck.  The backstop is built from railroad ties placed horizontally in a U shape, about 7 feet high.  I shoot into the open end of the U.  A second, removable layer of railroad ties are placed vertically in the interior of the U, so I'm shooting into two layers of ties.  When the vertical ties get too shot up, I replace them.  Some calibers will penetrate into the U, but in 8 years of shooting, it's still very sound.

Lately, I've taken some of the "shot up" pieces, cut them in half where they were shot up, and stacked them horizontally in front of the vertical ties, creating a third layer.  I've been using this for some of the "heavier stuff".  

Having your own range is one of the nicest ways to enjoy shooting.  I built mine shortly after I had a neighbor of a private club scream in my face when I was shooting FA.  Why an idiot would square off and scream at someone holding a machine gun is beyond me, but that's what he did.  I reconfirmed that FA was allowed at the next club meeting (I had already been through this, but felt like I should re-confirm, as well as make sure the club was aware the neighbor was upset).  I finished my range as quick as I could, just to avoid the hassle.

BTW, dirt makes a much better backstop, but at the time I had no place to source it from for free.  If we ever build out there, I'll replace my backstop with dirt from the basement.
Enjoy
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:57:30 PM EDT
[#8]
OP,

I built a 45yd range in my backyard.  Box is made from 3ea 4x8 sheets of plywood and some 4x4s.  Cut one sheet (4x4) for ends.  I haven't had anything past thru the 48" of dirt/clay.  I would like to built it higher at some point.  Behind the box is woods, fields and swamps.  I have my workshop just to the left of the picture where I reload and cast.  Enjoy

CD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top