Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
Armory Sponsor
6/8/2016 4:23:25 PM EDT
I'm looking for opinions and load data for Sierra GameKing 65 g. 5.56

Would these work well for HD using a 14.5 inch tOBR?

I haven't reloaded since early 90's when IMR 4895 with 52g match was the bomb.  I'm sure there are new powders which may be a better match for the GameKings.

I'm open to other HD recommendations, just don't want to spend a fortune.  (Range: to 200 m) no real close neighbors / penetration worries

Thanks
6/8/2016 4:39:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I have not reloaded Sierra 65gr Gamekings. But I have thought about doing so several times. I believe they would make a decent home defense round.  That said, I ended up purchasing a bunch of 64 gr Speer Gold Dots instead and loaded them up for home defense. The Gold Dots are bonded and they were quite a bit cheaper than the gamekings.  $0.14 a bullet for the Gold Dot vs $0.19 a bullet for Gamekings. I sent you an IM where to find them if you decide to go that route.

Edit- I think someone here has shot their 65 gamekings into ballistic gel and posted a video. I'm fairly sure it was BlueFalcon
6/8/2016 5:35:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I use them and LOVE them !!!!

They shoot great and kill WV size whitetail deer very efficiently.

They also will withstand velocity in the neighborhood of 3800 f/s. I just found this out this past weekend when I realized I was out of 75gr A-Max for the 22-6mm AI.

Here is my AR-15 .223/5.56 load data for them. This is for reference only you must work up your own load:


Remington commercial casing.

Reloder-15 powder. 25.5gr

Remington 7 1/2 primer.

No crimp.

Seated to 2.235 OAL (My Remington "brand" 5 round mag seems to be a tad shorter than other magazines this is why they are 2.235" instead of the usual 2.250")

Motor
6/8/2016 6:24:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I love the 65gr. SGK, use them in my 700 almost exclusively. I'm on the warm side of the loads, but mine seems to like them over 25.5-26.0 gr. of Varget in LC brass with most primers I've tried.
6/8/2016 7:13:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm running 25.8 grains of RE-15 in LC brass, 65 grain SGK , 7 1/2 primers.  Home built AR with Noveske 1/7 twist barrel.
6/8/2016 8:03:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Varget, CCI 41, 2.250, LFC, 16" 1/7
65 - 25.0
69 - 24.8 (2680 fps)

The GK is bout accurate as the 69.
Haven't tested the 65 term performance
6/8/2016 8:59:51 PM EDT
[#6]
RE-15 with 27.5 gr gives 2940 fps out of my 20" barrel. 10 shot 2.5" ES, so not all that great accuracy wise.





25.5 gr W748 and 25.5 gr Varget group about the same, but I have no velocity for those.







Maybe I'll try the RE-15 25.5 load referenced above and see if they'll group better at a slower speed.


 
6/8/2016 10:58:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Has anyone loaded Hodgdon CFE223 with this bullet?

Does this powder really work?

Any difference between chrome or non-chrome barrels?

H335 seems popular, is this a better choice?
6/8/2016 11:27:11 PM EDT
[#8]
The Sierra Speer 70gr Semi-Spitzer with 26.0grs W-748 is deadly on hogs and deer. Trouble free feeding at 2.260" COAL.

Edited for correct bullet mfg.
6/8/2016 11:29:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quote History
Quoted:
Has anyone loaded Hodgdon CFE223 with this bullet?

Does this powder really work?

Any difference between chrome or non-chrome barrels?

H335 seems popular, is this a better choice?
View Quote


I have a pound of CFE223 that was given to me and I've yet to try it... I've heard nothing but great things about it.

For hunting or home defense, CL or non-CL is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned... others have hard line opinions on the matter though.
6/9/2016 6:43:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I've used the 25.5gr RL-15 in 3 different rifles so far. The VTR-15 (avatar photo) 1in9 .233 a 20" government profile chrome lined 1in7 5.56 and a 1in8 16" 5.56

The VTR-15 shoots them around 3/4" at 100 yards. The 1 in 8 5.56 is around 1" and chrome lined 1in 7 is easily under 2"

The VTR-15 is the only one with free float barrel.

I agree with the post above that said they shoot very close to what the 69gr BTHP will.

Motor
6/9/2016 7:16:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I used Tac and found two loads, 24.0 gr and 25.5 gr.
6/9/2016 8:44:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quote History
Quoted:


I have a pound of CFE223 that was given to me and I've yet to try it... I've heard nothing but great things about it.

For hunting or home defense, CL or non-CL is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned... others have hard line opinions on the matter though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Has anyone loaded Hodgdon CFE223 with this bullet?

Does this powder really work?

Any difference between chrome or non-chrome barrels?

H335 seems popular, is this a better choice?


I have a pound of CFE223 that was given to me and I've yet to try it... I've heard nothing but great things about it.

For hunting or home defense, CL or non-CL is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned... others have hard line opinions on the matter though.




To be more specific, the chrome barrel reference is related to copper cleaning capability and whether there is any bearing on barrel life. Sorry I wasn't clear.
6/9/2016 11:29:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quote History
Quoted:
The Sierra 70gr Semi-Spitzer with 26.0grs W-748 is deadly on hogs and deer. Trouble free feeding at 2.260" COAL.
View Quote


I wasn't aware of Sierra building a 70 gr semi spitzer. Are you sure it's not a Speer?
6/10/2016 12:13:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quote History
Quoted:


I wasn't aware of Sierra building a 70 gr semi spitzer. Are you sure it's not a Speer?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Sierra 70gr Semi-Spitzer with 26.0grs W-748 is deadly on hogs and deer. Trouble free feeding at 2.260" COAL.


I wasn't aware of Sierra building a 70 gr semi spitzer. Are you sure it's not a Speer?


Opps...yes, Speer, thanks.
6/12/2016 9:57:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Dieselman,
I sent you a PM.
6/24/2016 9:20:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I loaded 50 up with 25.5gr of RE15 and will test them soon

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

Armory Sponsor