Page / 3
Posted: 1/3/2003 1:50:14 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 2:22:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Very Helpfull
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 9:59:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Troy, nice chart.
I wonder why Colt doesn't make a DCM/CMP rifle?
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 10:31:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Troy your chart is GREAT!  A very nice tool for buyers.

Just as a note, DPMS has 1:8 twist as an option (or standard) on everything but their Race Gun that comes with 1:8 only.  DPMS also has a variety of lightweight 16" and 20" barrels.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 11:18:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Once again Troy--You are the man!
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 11:27:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice work!
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 11:42:31 PM EDT
[#6]
gee hesse really sucks.

chrome line barrels? No
stainless barrels ava?unknown
barrel source? unknown
hard coat anodized recievers?No
cast or forged?Cast
M4 barrel ava? No
other lightweight barrels?No
Preban rifles?No
%of total market for 2000?1%

and the big finisher....

warranty length? NONE!!!!

How in the hell do they even stay in business?

Link Posted: 1/5/2003 3:57:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Excellent reference!
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 5:07:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By WolfAR15:

How in the hell do they even stay in business?

Same way any "budget" manufacturer stays in business - by catering to customers whose main concern is initial purchase price.

Nice tool, Troy!!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 9:02:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Now that's the reason I joined this site. People like Troy doing research like that and posting it for the rest of us.

Great Job!!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Nice chart, but please note that ArmaLite does  offer 1:8 twist also.

ArmaLiter
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 1:37:09 PM EDT
[#11]
But Troy, what exactly does this chart mean to all those who say Colt is BY FAR the best AR on the market?

I'm worried for them. They've dedicated themselves to a cause without merit. We might need an ARFCOM 12 step program to "deprogram" the propaganda they've suffered from for so long.

"Class, we all know Colt makes a very nice AR, so lets start with that premise, mmmmm k? Now remain calm.....I have some shocking news for you. They have nothing on Bushmaster. The two companies produce rifles of about identical quality." "Martha....could you run and get us some tissues please.....make it a LOT of tissues. Thanks" "Hey, you in the back, put that razor down! And you up front, what do you think you're doing with all those pills? Don't make me come over there.....and think of your Colt AR, what will happen to it when you're gone? Come on people, keep it together."
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 2:37:07 PM EDT
[#12]
ROTFLMFAO!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 2:44:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Colt, schmolt!
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 6:18:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks, Troy!
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 7:44:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Finally

Job well done

Can't beleive I never thought to do this.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 3:13:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Troy, in the thread that you linked to, budam posted that he contacted Oly Arms and they verified that their recievers are hard coat anodized.

Just when you thought that you were done...
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:00:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Under "Armalite/Prebah Rifles" remember that the AR-180 IS such a rifle.
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 1:19:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Troy:
Nice work!!!!
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 1:39:47 AM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By NYPatriot:
Troy, in the thread that you linked to, budam posted that he contacted Oly Arms and they verified that their recievers are hard coat anodized.

Thanks for keeping an eye out!

Yes, Olympic receivers are hard coat anodized.
Link Posted: 1/13/2003 1:22:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: QuanticoArms] [#20]
Link Posted: 1/17/2003 4:46:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I have an Oly "Maxhard" lower on one of mine.

I beleive they still offer this.

Link Posted: 1/20/2003 5:44:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Colt and bushmaster both identical.
Your ass hurts M4. Last I cheked you cant seperate the two halves with out a screwdriver, the trapdoor in the stock is made of the cheepest plastic(BM is more beefy with a metal latch) and what about that plastic buffer(once again metal used on the BM).
Link Posted: 1/20/2003 6:25:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4] [#23]

Originally Posted By BALOO:
Colt and bushmaster both identical.
Your ass hurts M4. Last I cheked you cant seperate the two halves with out a screwdriver, the trapdoor in the stock is made of the cheepest plastic(BM is more beefy with a metal latch) and what about that plastic buffer(once again metal used on the BM).

Hey BALOO, keep strokin' the barrel of your Colt, it just might cum for you one of these days...you friggin' nit wit.

"The two companies produce rifles of about identical quality."

I own pre-ban AR's from both Bushy & Colt and the differences in NO WAY justify the rediculous price differences. Thanks for the input, a real slice of genius.

Link Posted: 1/20/2003 8:51:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Hey ass munch in that case all companies  produce ABOUT identical quality.
Link Posted: 1/20/2003 9:59:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By BALOO:
Hey ass munch in that case all companies  produce ABOUT identical quality.

A) No they don't. ***See chart above.***

B) Slap a little Vagisil on that sore twat of yours, the swelling will go down, I'm sure.

Link Posted: 1/21/2003 5:29:03 AM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By garandman:
I have an Oly "Maxhard" lower on one of mine.

I beleive they still offer this.

Yes they do.  I have more of them coming in right now.
Link Posted: 1/21/2003 5:31:17 AM EDT
[#27]
For DPMS, you need to add note 6 to the twist rates.  DPMS offers various...
Link Posted: 2/4/2003 9:38:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Have you ever done/considered doing a chart of which brand/grain/caliber (.223 vs 5.56mm) from best to worse should be put through the various brands of rifles?

I would love to see somethinglike that, or if anyone can recommend an idiot's version of what I am talking about,let me know.

Duhhhh...

Matt
Link Posted: 2/6/2003 6:53:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Troy,

You list some as .223 and some as 5.56 and some as .223/5.56.

What is the difference?

Thanks,
Eaker
Link Posted: 2/7/2003 7:01:07 AM EDT
[#30]
I believe .223/5.56 is a Wylde Chamber, right guys?

Quote from the FAQ:
"Some AR manufacturers use an in-between chamber spec, such as the Wylde chamber.  Many mis-mark their barrels too, which further complicates things.  You can generally tell what sort of chamber you are dealing with by the markings on the weapon, but always check with the manufacturer to be sure."

This is from an FAQ about RRA Wylde Chmaber:
http://talk.shooters.com/room_3/Oct172002.cfm

Link Posted: 2/20/2003 2:57:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Hey Troy,

Sent you email about Oly being anodized twice via email.  Is it not working?  Let me know if you need anything else in updating table.
Link Posted: 2/23/2003 10:32:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stator] [#32]
Bushmaster buys barrel blanks and turns, chambers  them. I believe Jarrod stated this several years ago here.  I would expect only Colt makes the barrel from raw stock. Even then, they probably contract for the blank too.
Link Posted: 3/21/2003 6:15:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Troy, great post.
And... I see a lot of Colt envy here. Why bash some one else unless you're insecure about your own weapon(s).
And btw, I own Colt, Bushy, E.A., and DPMS, so it ain't just Colt loyalty. They all make great weapons. Except hesse.
Now I want/need an Armalite.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Just a quick note that DPMS also makes a left-handed model of the AR-15. Nice Chart
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 2:22:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Belial] [#35]

Originally Posted By QuanticoArms:
Because (choose one)
 A.  They can't build accurate rifles?
 B.  They don't understand the market?
 C.  They're always bankrupt, so can't produce another model?
 D:  ???? ---> Come up with your own

Originally Posted By ECS:

Now that is funny!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:08:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jtb33] [#36]
-
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 12:53:45 PM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By ECS:
Troy, nice chart.

They do...Colt service rifle
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:57:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Isn't Vagasil what Dianne Feinstein (who has a CCW Permit) uses to lube her handgun?  What a woman of the people.

It's not that they put themselves above the law (as they do) but the arrogance of putting themselves above the people is the source of the outrage.

They'll tell you their job is to govern the people if you ask  the question correctly, bedcause that's what they believe.  They're devoid of the concept that their job is to govern the United States Government, on behalf of the American People of the States they represent.

How did we let them turn that into collecting revenues from all the States to redistribute them to the People of their own State's, for the purpose of exploiting that tool in securing their election to, or perptuating their overstay (see Robert Bird, Strom Thurmond, etc.) in their respecting legislative bodies?

Now stop fighting and FOCUS.  Or we're going to be using that chart for toiltet paper.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 10:59:11 AM EDT
[#39]
I'll just keep buying bushmasters, thank you very much. But a good resource nonetheless.

Buy Bushmaster!
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 12:48:09 PM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By texashark:
Troy, great post.
And... I see a lot of Colt envy here. Why bash some one else unless you're insecure about your own weapon(s).
And btw, I own Colt, Bushy, E.A., and DPMS, so it ain't just Colt loyalty. They all make great weapons. Except hesse.
Now I want/need an Armalite.

How about downright colt hatred?   ps in case you  didn't notice, they don't give a rats ass about what you want in a gun.   I hope they just go away.

lessee-   messed up the takedown pins.   (isn't that enought?)   use plastic buffers now.   did that wacky "block" in the trigger well so all us evil gun owners can't use a legal dias.  

ohh, before i forget, how bout the rip-off price?   I think colt considers regular consumers just like the government- don't know what we want, are willing to pay twice what it is worth and  what other companies make them for, etc etc.

don't ever accuse me of colt envy- they don't have anything i want!  

Link Posted: 12/18/2003 8:23:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Howdie - As a newcomer, where might one learn about the various terminology used in Troy's chart above and what the pros/cons are to the variations?  Any websites, books, etc...?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:11:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/20/2004 2:09:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: POF-USA] [#43]
Troy,

Nice list. Very informative for someone that is looking to buy a weapon. Do you know the selling prices for each company?

Frank
POF-USA

(Weighs 45% Less and Cost 42% less)
Link Posted: 3/4/2004 9:52:22 PM EDT
[#44]
 I need some input on AR`s.  When I pick one up I will probably buy surplus ammo at the local shows.  Which rate of twist is best for most milspec ammo?  I see mainly DPMS and Rock River at the Dallas shows, how do they stack up side by side?  It will be used mainly for casual shooting,  I want something between the 22RF`s & 30-06`s I currently have.  All advise appreciated, thanks.  DAVE
Link Posted: 3/4/2004 10:05:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/16/2004 12:52:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Between DPMS and RRA, I'd have to suggest Rock River. Great quality gun, plus they just secured a DEA contract (not that that's saying much), their prices ain't too bad either. I'm still a Bushmaster man though... -Op
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:48:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Nice List.
Thanks for the work
Link Posted: 5/19/2004 4:24:29 PM EDT
[#48]
The chart isn't showing up for me right now.

Did the photoserver upgrade "unlink" it?  Or is it just me?

Link Posted: 5/22/2004 3:17:16 AM EDT
[#49]
A clarification on Colt's warranty:

www.colt.com/CMCI/lifetime_agreement.asp
Link Posted: 6/4/2004 7:43:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Ha! Hesse Arms doesn't even have a website!

How hard is it these days to get web hosting? They must be in some kind of trouble, or run by a bunch of fat rednecks that smell like cigarette smoke and have a filthy workplace.

You know what I'm talking about.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top