Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2006 1:22:43 PM EDT
does anyone know if the streamlight TL-2 led light will fit in the 1" mounting rings. or if it is too small?  there isnt anything on the package to indicate a diameter.figured someone may have one of these on their gun. thanks in advance
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:06:11 PM EDT
[#1]
The TL series lights are about 0.900 inch in diameter.

Streamlight is now making a QD mount that clamps the light securely in place.  Botach (clears throat, spits on floor) makes one which is very secure and well made, but not QD.

Here's an older model TL-2 LED mounted using the new SL QD mount.

Paladin
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:57:06 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the reply.i searched for Botach but nothing came up. also, what is QD? and how is that mount attached? is it screwed into the handguard?nevermind, i found botac's website. thanks
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:40:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
also, what is QD? and how is that mount attached? is it screwed into the handguard? thanks

QD = quick detachable.

In two ways.  The mount is secured with a thumb/screw and can be removed from the rail easily.  Also, the mount itself uses a thumbwheel to clamp into corresponding grooves in the flashlight body itself, eliminating any chance for slippage.  So the light can also be quickly removed from the attached mount for hand held use, and/or swapped for something more or less powerful.  The TL-2 LED (was 30, now 42 lumens), TL-2 Xenon, TL-3 LED(rated 90 lumens, somewhat less actually), and TL-3 Xenon(rated 200 lumen, IDENTICAL performance to a 105 lumen Surefire P90 lamp assy. IMO) all fit interchangeably.  Remember, only Streamlight sized bodies fit their mount.

And now the Streamlight website is showing a rechargeable Strion being mounted, which will be great news for daily "serious" users.

The QD mount will clamp to any rail system.  The Thunder Ranch RIFLE kit comes with a short rail that bolts to the handguard.  You need to carefully drill 2 small holes for the mounting screws, then two slightly larger holes thru the inner aluminum handguard.  About 5 minutes time and it is not hard to do at all.

The Botach mount, while not QD, has worked well for quite some time, and is slightly smaller than the Streamlight mount system.  For a light that is semi-permanently mounted, it is an option worth considering.

Botach is just a PITA to deal with, and you should expect in advance they will hose up at least 1 order every couple of times you try to buy from them.  For example, they emailed me weeks ago a credit for shipping had been returned to my credit card.  Then the bill comes and shows they did nothing about it.  Another email.  They say a refund is several weeks away.  Meanwhile, they are hanging onto MY money for well over a month.  This is in spite of 2 phone contacts discussing the  order with their Customer Service BEFORE the wrong charge was even applied.

The up side of dealing with them was the order involved a pair of Streamlight Scorpions, one LED and one Xenon, delivered for just UNDER $60  The shipping was SUPPOSED to be free, and they charged me for it anyway.  No longer on "special".

Paladin
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:02:04 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks, very helpful
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top