Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/1/2005 3:55:12 PM EDT
when you get issued a rifle in the service, are you allowed to customize it, i.e. add a scope, diff. handguards, light, etc.?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:30:55 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
when you get issued a rifle in the service, are you allowed to customize it, i.e. add a scope, diff. handguards, light, etc.?

Generally not, there are exceptions made for certain units, or under certain cercumstances.

As with all things, check with your CO before deciding on adding that Airsoft SOCOM stock to your M16....
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#2]
im not in the service yet, but i was wondering because you see all the soldiers with the rails and lights and scopes, i was just wondering if they did that themselves, or if theyre issued like that. and if so, who decides on who gets what or how the rifle is set up?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:41:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I found it to be VERY case by case.  If the person is a soup sandwich, HELL NO!  If you out shoot top every time, mabey.  If you fix tops canted FSB by hitting it agenst a bed post hock.gif, sure whatever you want.  The point, prove to them you wont fuck it up like some might, and you shold be good.  I would wait, because new privates are very suspect when the first get there.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:09:43 PM EDT
[#4]
is it easier if youre a 2nd Lt.?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:10:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
is it easier if youre a 2nd Lt.?

Not if your CO & Platoon Sgt are worth a damn.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:17:06 PM EDT
[#6]
No, we don't allow allot of flexability in what the troops or platoon commanders do with their weapons. Some commanders allow little things like slings and lights.

I personally would not allow allot of variation even in the small things like lights in my unit, but that has more to do with most Marines, regardless of their rank, don't know what to get.  You will see them go to Saigon Sams and get a POS light or sling and in some cases 782 gear and expect to use something I know won't last the deployment.  If however they get something high quality than it wouldn't be an issue, but since we issue allot of expensive gear there is not much point in it today.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:14:53 PM EDT
[#7]
+1 to kc0iwx

I was promoted in Iraq to a Headquarters XO so I had to give up my Gov't issued tricked out M4 for a standard M16A2. I immeadiately begged, borrowed, traded, and scrouged to get my guys rails, lights, collapsible stocks, and Aimpoints for their M16s as well as mine. After that success I built a M4 upper with Troy rails, bells and whistles and put it on my A2 lower w/collapsible stock. The CO didn't mine and no one ever questioned me.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top