Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/30/2011 6:13:22 PM EDT
OK, I am in a bit of a jam and need some help from the ARFCOM crowd.  My police dept only allows specific lowers.  Don't ask me how they came up with this list, but here it is...Colt, Armalite, RRA, Bushmaster, and DPMS.  
I already have a BCM upper and I need this lower within about 6 weeks (we have our annual AR class coming up March 14).  So I need it by then or I have to wait until next year to carry my AR.  Not an option.  
I originally chose the Armalite (part #L15PCB) which is the black lower with 6 pos stock.  I can' find Colt lowers anywhere and figured Armalite was the next best thing with some help from you guys.  Well, my FFL guy says the Armalite lower I want is on backorder and won't know when they will be able to ship.  So what is my next best option?  I'm thinking BM, but need some input.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:21:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally...

I would buy the DPMS (assuming it was the cheapest stripped) stripped.  Then put in a DD/Spikes LPK in it, a real milspec stock assembly (are you allowed aftermarket stocks?... if not get a milspec stock) and call it a day.

The reason i say this is because the Colt is too expensive usually.  And all of the other options are going to come with a commercial receiver extension ... now a commercial receiver extension will work, but typically they have alot more slop in them than a milspec sized one and technically are weaker... for a duty gun you might as well have a milspec one for the extra strength if you ever need to be beating on a door or something with it.

That is my opinion.  Im sure someone else will come in with a different one.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
OK, I am in a bit of a jam and need some help from the ARFCOM crowd.  My police dept only allows specific lowers.  Don't ask me how they came up with this list, but here it is...Colt, Armalite, RRA, Bushmaster, and DPMS.  
I already have a BCM upper and I need this lower within about 6 weeks (we have our annual AR class coming up March 14).  So I need it by then or I have to wait until next year to carry my AR.  Not an option.  
I originally chose the Armalite (part #L15PCB) which is the black lower with 6 pos stock.  I can' find Colt lowers anywhere and figured Armalite was the next best thing with some help from you guys.  Well, my FFL guy says the Armalite lower I want is on backorder and won't know when they will be able to ship.  So what is my next best option?  I'm thinking BM, but need some input.

There all pretty much the same, besides the roll mark.  Check the EE here.  They wont let you use Smith and Wesson?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:24:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Personally...

I would buy the DPMS (assuming it was the cheapest stripped) stripped.  Then put in a DD/Spikes LPK in it, a real milspec stock assembly (are you allowed aftermarket stocks?... if not get a milspec stock) and call it a day.

The reason i say this is because the Colt is too expensive usually.  And all of the other options are going to come with a commercial receiver extension ... now a commercial receiver extension will work, but typically they have alot more slop in them than a milspec sized one and technically are weaker... for a duty gun you might as well have a milspec one for the extra strength if you ever need to be beating on a door or something with it.

Forgot that part, if push came to shove, you could buy a mil spec reciever extension, whats RRA?, I know Bushys are civi
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Personally...

Forgot that part, if push came to shove, you could buy a mil spec reciever extension, whats RRA?, I know Bushys are civi

not sure about armalite.. but bushy, RRA, and DPMS are all commercial
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Colt, Armalite, RRA, Bushmaster, and DPMS

Whichever is cheapest, honestly. So that puts Colt out of the picture. I've never handled an Armalite product but don't doubt they're just as good as the rest on the list. DPMS gets a bad rap but it's not because of their lowers. My favorite lowers are RRA, I've had great luck with them. I'd check Pete @ Legal transfers, PKFirearms, and Krista(?) @ RB Precision for the best deal on RRA.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:50:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Personally...

I didn't know that all of those came with commercial extensions.  I definitely want a mil spec receiver ext.  I just wish they would let us use BCM lowers.  Armalite lowers aren't milspec?

I have never put a LPK together before.  How hard is it.  I served in the USMC infantry.  So I know the AR well, but we never broke it down to the lower parts before.  Will it come with instructions?

RRA=Rock River Arms

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#7]
[/quote]They wont let you use Smith and Wesson?[/quote]

No on the S&W.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:03:38 PM EDT
[#8]
As far as stripped lowers go...these are the prices
Armalite - $159
DPMS - $189.95
RRA - $170
Bushmaster - $200

Is this the way I should go?  Buy stripped and then build with an LPK?  If I build, what LPK has the Milspec stock/receiver extension?  

It looks like RRA can get the Milspec stock on a complete lower for $20 more.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#9]
+1 on the EE. Several Armalite and DPMS lowers for sale.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:04:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They wont let you use Smith and Wesson?[/quote]

No on the S&W.[/quote]

My M&P 15T comes with a MIl-spec receiver extension.  Any late production M&P lower will come with the Mil-spec one.  

That being said, I would go M&P.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:08:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Personally...

not sure about armalite.. but bushy, RRA, and DPMS are all commercial

ArmaLite uses a mil-spec tube.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:16:53 PM EDT
[#12]
If this is used for a  department gun, I would buy a complete lower. They call it LIABILITY. If you put it together yourself and a mishap occurs, lawyers are always looking for an out. New complete Colt lowers are always for sale on Gunbroker. Usually $500.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:17:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Those seem to be expensive for stripped lowers. Too bad you can't go spikes. I just got one for 90$ with the markings painted. Installing an LPK is a cake walk. I just installed my first one with no problem. Check the built it yourself section for instructions. I can vouch for the spikes enhanced LPK. Very nice.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:27:06 PM EDT
[#14]
get the cheapest, make sure its in spec, and get a magpul kit from dsg for $100(if they are still that price).  Comes with a MOE stock and pistol grip, and the MOE handguards.  Sell what you dont use or what you take off on the EE, or let it grow into another gun

Even DPMS LPK are ussually pretty good, if everything fits and funtions fine, I dont see a problem, but Id run it like a raped ape to bring out any potential problems.  If its problem free after a couple thousand rounds, you can pretty much bet your life on it.  99% of problems will show themselves in a few thousand or sooner of running it rough.

The upper is the main part of the gun to spend $ on.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:29:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If this is used for a  department gun, I would buy a complete lower. They call it LIABILITY. If you put it together yourself and a mishap occurs, lawyers are always looking for an out. New complete Colt lowers are always for sale on Gunbroker. Usually $500.

Agree 100%.  This is why I wanted a complete lower.  

Im a noob so I'm not really sure how to use the EE.  Sounds like the way to go.  Do the lowers have to be sent to an FFL or not from the EE?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:17:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree 100%.  This is why I wanted a complete lower.  

Im a noob so I'm not really sure how to use the EE.  Sounds like the way to go.  Do the lowers have to be sent to an FFL or not from the EE?

I guess thats true... but what "mishap" is going to occur with a lower?  Factory or not?  I mean if you use a quality LPK you aren't going to have any issues you would with a factory lower... and honestly.. i would trust a Spikes or DD LPK a bit more than some of those other brands on the list

Meh, but thats me.. i always feel safer with my built rifles than factory ones.. i know what goes into the assembly process.

ETA yeah same process with lowers bought off the EE
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:48:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Here's a complete Colt 6920 lower for sale:

Click
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:23:02 AM EDT
[#18]
I thin who ever made up that list reads a buch of gun rags and just listed the comon vendors he saw in the list.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:43:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If you buy a Forged stripped lower?
99% are the same except for logo

I like LMT complete lowers
They can come with extras

complete Bushy/Armalite are good lowers but might come with commercial Telestocks

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:19:40 AM EDT
[#20]
All of my Armalite lowers have mil-spec extension tubes, fit and finish of complete lowers are very good. Stock is very good with a good fit between it and extension tube. Ex-tubes and stocks as nice to some BCM ones I keep as spares.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:55:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
All of my Armalite lowers have mil-spec extension tubes, fit and finish of complete lowers are very good. Stock is very good with a good fit between it and extension tube. Ex-tubes and stocks as nice to some BCM ones I keep as spares.

Called Armalite this morning.  They stated all of their lowers have mil-spec receive extensions.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:30:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Check with specialized armament for colt parts
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:14:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Impact Guns has ArmaLite stripped lowers on sale and in stock for $119.99.
ArmaLite lower

You can buy an ArmaLite LPK and other parts from DSG Arms. I'd suggest going with a BCM milspec receiver extension/M4 stock kit with an H buffer (it is completely unmarked).
I wouldn't be too concerned about building the lower as long as you buy good parts and carefully check the fire control group. Besides, it's kind of obvious this is a build with the BCM upper.

I bought one from Impact last year and it turned out well. I'll drop in some pictures...
Note the genuine ArmaLite bolt hold open latch, it's quite unique and might convince even an expert witness that the lower is is a factory build

ArmaLite EA900G stripped lower:

Here's the complete lower:

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:31:21 AM EDT
[#24]
I tried to go to DSG earlier while doing the first post but got server busy errors. I noticed they sell an Armalite Complete Lower Receiver w/o Buttstock - but they are backordered
The site seems to be ok now so here are more links

AR lower receiver $159

LPK single stage trigger
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:00:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Get whichever lower is cheapest stripped, add a quality lower parts kit, I like DD myself, a stock kit of your choice and call it a day.  I like our policy better, if you can qualify with it you can carry it.  I think somewhere in between would be a better way to go but we can only play by the rules they set.  I carry a Daniel Defense.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:42:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Too bad you can't use a BCM lower for a BCM upper.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Why dont you just buy a Colt 6920 or 6940 to base your build off of ?     add an optic , then the furniture of your choice and its a done deal
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:51:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Too bad you can't use a BCM lower for a BCM upper.

Tell me about it.  My hope is that our "List" gets updated to include BCM among others.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:08:59 PM EDT
[#29]
The best complete lower is the LMT SOPMOD with the 2-stage trigger.  They can be had for around $515.

Seriously, this is the only complete lower, save for the KAC lower, that you'll never feel like you should consider upgrading.
It already has a Colt-Quality LPK & receiver extension.  
No one really likes another stock more than the SOPMOD, some people just think you can get the same for less money.
Unless you're an armorer, they'll put it together better than you will.
Just add the Magpul Trigger Guard and it's done.  

If you build it yourself, you'll always feel like one of the parts in your build could be better and you'll always be chasing that final configuration.  

Example:  A DPMS lower with a complete Colt LPK, Geiselle trigger, Magpul UBR, ambi controls and a Redi-Mod may be your perfect build, yet you'll still have the urge in the back of your head to get rid of the DPMS lower even though it works fine.

What you have listed?  Armalite.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:29:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The best complete lower is the LMT SOPMOD with the 2-stage trigger.  They can be had for around $515.

Seriously, this is the only complete lower, save for the KAC lower, that you'll never feel like you should consider upgrading.
No one really likes another stock more than the SOPMOD, some people just think you can get the same for less money.

If you build it yourself, you'll always feel like one of the parts in your build could be better and you'll always be chasing that final configuration.  

Example:  A DPMS lower with a complete Colt LPK, Geiselle trigger, Magpul UBR, ambi controls and a Redi-Mod may be your perfect build, yet you'll still have the urge in the back of your head to get rid of the DPMS lower even though it works fine.

Maybe in your personal opinion.  Ive had a complete LMT lower.  Stripped it and sold it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:46:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Why dont you just buy a Colt 6920 or 6940 to base your build off of ?     add an optic , then the furniture of your choice and its a done deal

This would be my advice also. CDNN has them cheap. (if they are in stock)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#32]
awill0352, did you see my post? I thought you said you were held to the brands on your list and leaned to ArmaLite.

If you can now go BCM for a lower that's great but not what I understood from you earlier.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:18:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe in your personal opinion.  Ive had a complete LMT lower.  Stripped it and sold it.

Your opinion as well

I

Other than the  SOPMOD Telestock & 2 stage trigger & the Tango Down Battle Grip ( older model)

Its the same as most all other lowers !!

The Complete LMT SOPMOD Lowers & KAC lowers  do offer alot

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:33:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Armalite - $159
DPMS - $189.95
RRA - $170
Bushmaster - $200

Is this the way I should go?  Buy stripped and then build with an LPK?  If I build, what LPK has the Milspec stock/receiver extension?  

Dude, who is giving you those prices for stripped lowers?!
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:54:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Armalite - $159
DPMS - $189.95
RRA - $170
Bushmaster - $200

Dude, who is giving you those prices for stripped lowers?!

Pulled straight from their websites.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:55:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
awill0352, did you see my post? I thought you said you were held to the brands on your list and leaned to ArmaLite.

If you can now go BCM for a lower that's great but not what I understood from you earlier.

You are correct.  I am limited to a lower from the previous listed 5 brands.  I wish we were allowed ot use BCM lowers.  If so, that is def the route I would go
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:25:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Their websites are giving high prices, I wouldn't pay attention to them. (Unless they really do charge that much for a stripped lower).  As said before, RRA + Bushy use commercial buffers.  At a minimum you would have to have that changed out.  Personally, I like RRA.  You can always buy a complete lower now and have the tube changed out later if the Armalite and Colt are unavailable.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:58:50 PM EDT
[#38]
+1 for Specialized Armament Warehouse, give Ken a call and see what he can do on a Colt

http://www.specializedarmament.com/index.php?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:18:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct.  I am limited to a lower from the previous listed 5 brands.  I wish we were allowed ot use BCM lowers.  If so, that is def the route I would go

Well anyway, the price at Impact is much lower than you listed. If you want to go ArmaLite (or must) you might want to check with them because they don't stay in stock long then are hard to find. Good luck whatever you do.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top