Originally Posted By freeflow:
Crap 100%

Is this based on personal experience?
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 2:34:19 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/8/2009 12:05:39 PM EST by VA-gunnut]
Edited...VA-gunnut
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 2:38:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/7/2009 2:53:21 PM EST by g8rgunner]
I say GTG depending on what you use it for. Is it as good as an Aimpoint? No. Is it a good quality red dot for 1/3 the cost of an Aimpoint that comes with a lifetime warranty and is backed up by great customer service? Yes. For hardcore use where your life depends on it , it's probably not what you'd want. For what 99% of the folks here will use it for, I say GTG. You may not be as tacticool as all your friends with Aimpoints, but you will have about $250 more ammo than them .
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 2:41:08 PM EST
Originally Posted By g8rgunner:
I say GTG depending on what you use it for. Is it as good as an Aimpoint?

OK, I own an Aimpoint, and used it for years. I am a believer.

But how do we know the strikefire won't hold up as well until someone puts it through a torture test. I say any criticism is premature until we see some tof the units fail.

Link Posted: 6/7/2009 2:45:14 PM EST
Gtg. Works great
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 2:46:29 PM EST
Zero issues with mine...
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 2:51:17 PM EST
Originally Posted By Texkaw:

But how do we know the strikefire won't hold up as well until someone puts it through a torture test. I say any criticism is premature until we see some tof the units fail.

I'm not critcizing the Strikefire, I own one and love it. It has worked well for several hundred rounds range use and has held zero after bumping around in the back of the SUV going to and from the range. I plan on using it in a carbine class soon and am confident it will not fail me. It will take a while for those who have them to put them thru their paces and see if any issues come up. Vortex customer service is top notch and has quickly dealt with the issues the earlier Strikefires had. I'm sure they will continue to do the same in the future. I don't think saying they're not on par with an Aimpoint is criticism, just reality. However, 80 bazillion hours of battery life and being able to dive to the bottom of the ocean with the optic aren't worth the extra $250 to me. As far as general reliability and hardiness, time will tell.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 4:04:14 PM EST
Love mine and have had zero problems with it. I just couldn't bring myself to spend more than that on a scope and was even trying to spend less, but am glad I did.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 4:06:49 PM EST
I have one and I like it. It's by far the best red dot in it's price range, especially considering that it comes with a mount and 2x magnifier. Should anything go wrong with it Vortex has excellent customer service and will take care of you.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 4:38:57 PM EST
Vortex needs to send one to someone so they can beat the crap out of it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 5:10:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/8/2009 12:05:56 PM EST by VA-gunnut]
Edited...VA-gunnut

Link Posted: 6/7/2009 5:20:50 PM EST

Originally Posted By wav3form:
Crap 100%

Yes my friend had ( key word had) one and it was a night to sight in. But yes I have a Aimpoint and it was worth the extra 300 for the piece of mind...
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 6:54:10 PM EST
I have both the Strikefire and the Aimpoint ML-2, and i will tell you I have NO problems recommending the Strikefire to anyone except the .mil.
I was walking through my house and accedently dropped and kicked the Strikefire across the room into the wall.
So after it survived being kicked and bounciing across carpet and wooden floor and banging the wall, it worked fine and held zero.
That is the worst abuse I have put it through.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 7:24:03 PM EST
I was planning on abusing the crap out of mine, but work schedule got real crazy for the last 9 months or so and I havn't had the time or energy. Now I'm transferring, so maybe after I get settled in the new home and job.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 7:30:18 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 7:37:26 AM EST
How does the magnifier lock in place? Friction mount, threaded, quarter/half turn type system...? How are folks finding the overall view from behind them? having the controls over there on the left has me wondering whether it would interfere with the view a bit when using both eyes but I haven't seen one in person and it doesn't look like it sticks out that far to the left.

Also, though I'm sure I can find this elsewhere, what is the transmittance rating, both with and without the magnifier?
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 6:45:41 PM EST
I have a Strikefire and an Aimpoint M. It is a very good Aimpoint substitute and has been trouble free for me. Haven't tried to abuse it, but it seems solidly built. The main difference I see is that the field of view is smaller with the Strikefire, probably because it has a smaller ( 30 mm ) tube than the Aimpoint. Does not seem to be a problem if you keep both eyes open. The magnifier screws into the rear of the eyepece and is probably only useful for a little magnification while at the range. As the tube is smaller, Aimpoint QD mounts will not work, but one of these will

http://www.swfa.com/pc-6521-2856-arms-22h-throw-lever-30mm-rings.aspx

Would be nice if Vortex included a spacer so Aimpoint mounts could be used. Hopefully Vortex will come out with a flip mount 3x magnifier that could be used with a Strikefire, Aimpoint or EOTECH. $500 is outrageous for those things.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 3:52:38 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/9/2009 3:54:19 AM EST by VortexSam]
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 12:08:47 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/10/2009 2:29:52 PM EST by strat81]
Originally Posted By VortexSam:
Originally Posted By Wild_Man:
I have a Strikefire and an Aimpoint M. It is a very good Aimpoint substitute and has been trouble free for me. Haven't tried to abuse it, but it seems solidly built. The main difference I see is that the field of view is smaller with the Strikefire, probably because it has a smaller ( 30 mm ) tube than the Aimpoint. Does not seem to be a problem if you keep both eyes open. The magnifier screws into the rear of the eyepece and is probably only useful for a little magnification while at the range. As the tube is smaller, Aimpoint QD mounts will not work, but one of these will

http://www.swfa.com/pc-6521-2856-arms-22h-throw-lever-30mm-rings.aspx

Would be nice if Vortex included a spacer so Aimpoint mounts could be used. Hopefully Vortex will come out with a flip mount 3x magnifier that could be used with a Strikefire, Aimpoint or EOTECH. $500 is outrageous for those things.

I thought that the Aimpoints use a 30mm tube as well? Any of the LaRue QD mounts should work fine with the StrikeFire. There are some pictures of guys running them with LaRue mounts in our forum.

-Sam

I have my Aimpoint ML3 mounted in a 30mm Burris ring.

As for bargain magnifiers, while I have no doubt that Vortex could come out with one, IMO, the market is pretty much covered with units like the LaRue Hensoldt. There are some very good inexpensive magnifiers available, but the issue is getting a quality mount. In a pivot mount, it must be built well or else the user will literally rip it apart. The LaRue is a great option for a very reasonable price.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 12:14:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/10/2009 12:17:38 PM EST by Bizzarolibe]
$195 for a magnifier? That just doesn't seem affordable to me, considering what you're getting. Let's remember that while there is alot of science that goes into optics, a magnifier is a relatively simplistic device. They've been around for centuries. And mounts? They're metal rings with a couple of screws. Considering the general trend that Vortex has been setting, i.e., matching or beating the quality of long-time industry standards at a fraction of the price, I think there would be more than enough of a market for one of their own magnifiers (and I say this as a poor––I mean, very poor––college student). I've had enough experience with their products to say that I would be one of the first to buy any new AR platform optics they come out with, no questions.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:50:17 AM EST
For those of you with the Strikefire, hows the brightness? Ive read a few reviews stating they're not quite bright enough.....
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 12:47:35 PM EST
How many of the ones that voted the strikeforce a POS actually owned one? I would think with the POS votes there would be more POS posts. Makes you wonder if some fo these folks are a little upset that the ones that paid a little less might actually be getting the same quality out of a cheeper price. lol
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 2:38:08 PM EST
Originally Posted By Snapper692:
For those of you with the Strikefire, hows the brightness? Ive read a few reviews stating they're not quite bright enough.....

I've shot mine in the bright Florida sun and not had a problem. I do have to go up to one of the brighter settings if it's really sunny out, but have been able to see the dot well in those conditions. For the $$ you pay and the customer service you get, the Stikefire is GTG IMO.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:59:37 PM EST
Originally Posted By Texkaw:

Ok, I dumped mine on the ground today. Bought it used from a guy at a pistol match, took it to the range on my 8lb AR15, and was using my pistol bag as a sand bag. I overbalanced the rifle too far forward on the bench and the whole thing hit the ground. It fell about 3 feet into the soft dirt. The rifle hit muzzle first, then landed on the scope. Picked the rifle up, blew off the dirt and fired another 150 rounds through it. Didn't change point of impact at all. For what I want, I'm good to go

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:06:23 PM EST
Originally Posted By VortexSam:

Originally Posted By wav3form:
Crap 100%

Yes my friend had ( key word had) one and it was a night to sight in. But yes I have a Aimpoint and it was worth the extra 300 for the piece of mind...

Not sure exactly what "a night to sight in" means, but if he was having problems getting it zeroed he could have given us a call and we would have helped him out. I haven't had any problems myself with it and I haven't heard of anyone else having problems either. It's possible he could have had a defective one? Or something else? In any case, based on feedback we've heard after selling thousands of these I can safely say the sighting them in has not been an issue with the vast majority.

Sorry to hear that your friend had trouble. Wish we could have had the chance to make it right before he gave up and got rid of it.

-Sam

Hey Sam,
A change to the sight, if I might . Please move the on/off switch from the side of the scope to the rear where the other three controls are. I needed to remove the battery to keep the sight from powering on when I accidently bump the power switch while I'm putting the rifle back in the safe. I realize that this might make the rear of that panel a bit crowded, but I'd rather not have to remove the battery when I put the rifle away. Or setup the NV switch to cycle throught the on/red/green/off selections with long presses. Other than that, I really like the sight a lot.
Vince

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:47:12 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:28:48 PM EST
I bought one about a couple of months ago and liked it so much that I just ordered another one. For non serious use, I see nothing not to like about them, they're well made and loaded with features you only see on $400+ units. And even for serious use, should it go bad I can flip up the irons and I'm still in business. Not all of us can afford $400-$500 red dots for all our guns, yet I want to practice and plink with the same type of optic that's on my serious gun. The Vortex is an excellent option. I'm building an AR for my lady, I may buy a third for her rifle, as soon as I can locate the parts to finish it.
Top Top