AR Sponsor
Posted: 3/23/2010 4:46:52 AM EDT
| I like the price and it seems to have everything I would need. I like 65MOA circle with 1 MOA aiming dot combo. Would I need a riser for this? I am unsure about cowitness. Is true or lower 1/3 the way to go? |
|
With out a riser the Eotech 512 gives a true cowitness....that means when you look thru the rear peep sight the red 1 moa dot sould rest directly on the top of the iron sight front post.
a 1/3 co witness puts the reticle above the front sight post offering a clear isght picture. I prefer a true cowitness as it make it easy to check zero and I do not have to change my cheek weld.... If you want a 1/3 you need a riser if you want a true co witness no need just put the scope on the rail. I recommend starting with a true co witness if you dislike having the FSB in your sight picture get a riser. BTW Eotech makes a fine optic, Aimpoints have a better batt life and are tougher but nothing is as reflexive or as quick as an eotech. |
|
Reflex sights + true co-witness = waste of money.
One of the positives to a reflex sight is that no matter where your head is, as long as the dot is on the target it will hit POA/POI. By mounting it directly to the rail without a riser, you're forcing yourself to have to get a tight check weld just like you would with iron's and IMO that defeats the purpose of a reflex sight, might as well save your money stick with irons. |
|
Quoted:
Reflex sights + true co-witness = waste of money. One of the positives to a reflex sight is that no matter where your head is, as long as the dot is on the target it will hit POA/POI. By mounting it directly to the rail without a riser, you're forcing yourself to have to get a tight check weld just like you would with iron's and IMO that defeats the purpose of a reflex sight, might as well save your money stick with irons. i always thought the purpose of the reflex sight was to quickly and accurately engage a target. seems like cheek weld is part of the accuracy component. ETA: i co-witness mine and love it. |
|
Quoted:
Quoted:
Reflex sights + true co-witness = waste of money. One of the positives to a reflex sight is that no matter where your head is, as long as the dot is on the target it will hit POA/POI. By mounting it directly to the rail without a riser, you're forcing yourself to have to get a tight check weld just like you would with iron's and IMO that defeats the purpose of a reflex sight, might as well save your money stick with irons. i always thought the purpose of the reflex sight was to quickly and accurately engage a target. seems like cheek weld is part of the accuracy component. So you don't understand the difference between a tight cheek weld and a check weld you would use for a scope or raised optic? |
|
Quoted: <Keep your commentary to yourself - Z> Suit yourself, had a absolute co-witness at first and quickly changed. Now I get clearer sight picture and I'm able to move my head some and still keep the dot within the viewing area(more forgiving). Much quicker to bring the weapon up and get the dot on target as well. |
|
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Reflex sights + true co-witness = waste of money. One of the positives to a reflex sight is that no matter where your head is, as long as the dot is on the target it will hit POA/POI. By mounting it directly to the rail without a riser, you're forcing yourself to have to get a tight check weld just like you would with iron's and IMO that defeats the purpose of a reflex sight, might as well save your money stick with irons. i always thought the purpose of the reflex sight was to quickly and accurately engage a target. seems like cheek weld is part of the accuracy component. So you don't understand the difference between a tight cheek weld and a check weld you would use for a scope or raised optic? forgive me, but i don't understand what your argument is. |
|
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Reflex sights + true co-witness = waste of money. One of the positives to a reflex sight is that no matter where your head is, as long as the dot is on the target it will hit POA/POI. By mounting it directly to the rail without a riser, you're forcing yourself to have to get a tight check weld just like you would with iron's and IMO that defeats the purpose of a reflex sight, might as well save your money stick with irons. i always thought the purpose of the reflex sight was to quickly and accurately engage a target. seems like cheek weld is part of the accuracy component. So you don't understand the difference between a tight cheek weld and a check weld you would use for a scope or raised optic? forgive me, but i don't understand what your argument is. I don't know a better way to describe it, I've always had a hard time getting this point across without being able to physically show someone what I'm talking about. Sorry for the lack of imagination within my post. Maybe someone else will chime in and explain it better. |
|
$415.00 with quick detach that doesnt raise the sight and lens covers
link |
| Buy it, mount it, sIght it in, and thank us later... not a big fan of the co-witness my self, even in the lower third, still hate seeing that FSB sooo I bought a new upper with out one :) you cant really aprreciate the awesomeness of the Eotech untill you have nothing in you way period... But if Co-wittnessing is your thing then yes it works... |
|
I use an absolute c-witness and I never even notice the front post. Also, you need not use the same cheek weld as you would with iron sights. I often do, out of habit, but you can see the reticule from a head-high position as well.
I love the Eotech but the ring is distracting (to me) for precisely aimed shots. I often close my week eye when I am shooting groups from slow fire. I still find it more precise than the big blob in the Aimpoint. |
|
I picked up a 512 from the EE and it served me well for range use over thousands of rounds. My preference was for using it with a LaRue QD riser mount, but you can easily slap it on without the riser and decide for yourself what you like.
I resold the 512 in the EE last year as the new XPS optics hit the market. They're smaller and use a CR123 battery instead of AA's. You might want to take a look at the XPS2-0 before you make a final decision. Primary Arms has them at a great price. |
|
I like lower 1/3 co-witness because it gives me a cleaner field of view yet still lets you use the irons if need be, but to each their own. If I were you, don't worry about getting a riser yet. Try it as is and if you're happy, then you won't have wasted ammo funds. Later on, if you get the itch, get a riser and try it.
Will second the recommendation of the xps. There have been problems reported about the battery contacts going bad on the other models, after HUGE amounts of rounds fired, due to the batteries beating on them under fire. Also, they're supposed to have fixed the problem of EOTechs sucking batteries dry. They aren't all that much more expensive either. |
|
this is what i got and the mount is great, i dumped the lens covers though. they work, just not my thing. |
|
I had a 512 and loved it however the front post annoyed me sometimes. Mostly when behind the 4x fts I could see the post a tiny bit enuff to annoy.
This time I went with the 516 with the built in riser. Im gonna mount it tonite to see how I like the raise With the 512 i just adjusted my head up more to bring the reticle off the post as much as I could and still be comfortable. With the magnifier it wsnt as easy though |
|
Reflex sights + true co-witness = waste of money.
One of the positives to a reflex sight is that no matter where your head is, as long as the dot is on the target it will hit POA/POI. By mounting it directly to the rail without a riser, you're forcing yourself to have to get a tight check weld just like you would with iron's and IMO that defeats the purpose of a reflex sight, might as well save your money stick with irons. I would say I pretty much agree with that as well! I don't know if I completely agree that it is a waste of money. Lower 1/3 or absolute co-witness is a matter of personal preference but I also think it defeats the purpose of what holographic weapon sight was originally intended for, which was fast target acquisition. When I look through my optic what I want to see is a clear, unobstructed view of what is directly in front of me. What I DO NOT want to see is my front post cluttering up my line of sight! Again...it all comes back to mission requirements and personal preference. For LE / MIL work an unobstructed view is faster and a safety issue. Do I want to be clearing house and find a male in my line of sight and see that he has a knife in his hand or do I want to see my front post!?! That's kind of a no brainer! Whether you are just a weekend, recreational shooter, or an operator...different needs and different requirements dictate what works best! |
| I've got an eotech 512 mounted on a RRA dominator 2 riser. I like the lower 3rd co witness personally, plus with the dominator you don't have any moving parts to mess with when you decide to use irons instead of your site. I got my site on EBay and saved 50 bucks or so over what they were going for in stores. The only down side to the dominator mount is that it makes it pretty much impossible to mount a magnifier for your eotech. Not a problem for me but some people would hate that for sure. I went with the 512 because it was cheaper, looked cooler and batteries for it are cheaper and easier to find. If things go south you don't want to be up a creek without a battery. With AA's you can always raid the TV remote. |
|
An Eotech 512 outfitted with lithium AA batteries is the gold standard in Eotech AR sights as far as I am concerned. If you want to reduce or eliminate the distraction of the front sight post, get the YHM-220 riser for a lower 1/3 co-witness, or use an upper with a low profile gas block and flip up front sight. I own and recommend aimpoints as well, but the 65 moa circle with a 1 moa dot is my favorite reticle and you can only get that with Eotech. The aimpoints have crazy battery life, but with lithium AAs, the Eotech is pretty good and AA batteries are easy to get hold of for replacement. Some say the Eotech reticle is fuzzy, I say add a magnifier and then check it out. You'll see why there are so many little pixels projected into that circle. The XPS is lighter and cuter, but with AA lithiums, the 512 runs twice as long between battery changes. I have Eotechs, Aimpoints, and Primary Arms clones, and I still love my Eotechs. |
|
The truth is you should be very proficient with iron sights regardless of your sight or setup first and foremost. Once you accomplish that, everything is a joy ride. The purpose of the sight is for close combat. The idea is to get the dot on the target without wasting time "lining up". Regardless of your head position, where ever the dot is...it will hit. So, try it stock first, if you are locked in to lining up with the irons, get a riser. I personally prefer "absolute co-witness" with a Holo sight for a number of reasons. For example, if the sight goes down you can shoot right through it with no loss of light (like tube designs) using irons. Also, If you need to transition from close to long range you don't have to change a thing, etc... The GREAT debate of "1/3 co-witness" vs "absolute co-witness" can go on forever. But it really comes down to personal preference and comfort. So, unless you try both you will never know. Either way you can't go wrong. |
|
Quoted: An Eotech 512 outfitted with lithium AA batteries is the gold standard in Eotech AR sights as far as I am concerned. If you want to reduce or eliminate the distraction of the front sight post, get the YHM-220 riser for a lower 1/3 co-witness, or use an upper with a low profile gas block and flip up front sight. I was about to start shopping for a riser to get a lower-1/3 co-witness until I remembered that I have a flip-down front on that rifle already. ![]() |
AR Sponsor
Join the Community
Your next conversation starts here.
Create your free account to join discussions, share your experience, save topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.
- Join discussions
- Follow topics and replies
- Connect with fellow enthusiasts
Already a member? Sign in
Stay informed by subscribing to our Newsletter


