Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/2/2006 11:26:47 AM EDT
Anybody found any negative side effects of using this for soaking/cleaning the BCG and other parts?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:29:05 AM EDT
[#1]
It works good, but I have heard some say it was bad for the metal. I have used it for 2-3 years now without any problems.
My .02
TS
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:15:23 PM EDT
[#2]
non al parts it works great on.
on al it will cause problems if not washed off
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:59:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I use it in a heated (40C) ultrasonic for cleaning, then do a fast rinse in water and then a solvent afterwards.

Only issue is have to make sure the parts are completely under water/simple green when cleaning and get the oil on right after you are done.  Combination of moisture and the parts having been stripped of oils does allow rust if you leave parts sitting.

Have had good luck in cooler weather drying the parts with heated air.

P.S. Agree to keep away from aluminum ... in particular the high dollar alluminum in a M16A1 receiver ;-).

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:06:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Anybody found any negative side effects of using this for soaking/cleaning the BCG and other parts?

Only side effect I ever encountered was a severe "go get your 2-quart" type smoking for having my M240B receiver sitting in a basin full of Simple Green as I washed it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Used it a lot to clean m4's, saws and m60's with no problems.  Just rinse it good and oil.  I've used to clean aluminum parts and never had any negitive effects.  Below is what their website says about aluminum.

"Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green on aluminum?
Simple Green products have been successfully and safely used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: Aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green or Crystal Simple Green can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times of All-Purpose Simple Green and Crystal Simple Green with unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green/Crystal Simple Green residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation. "
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Used it a lot to clean m4's, saws and m60's with no problems.  Just rinse it good and oil.  I've used to clean aluminum parts and never had any negitive effects.  Below is what their website says about aluminum.

"Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green on aluminum?
Simple Green products have been successfully and safely used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: Aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green or Crystal Simple Green can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times of All-Purpose Simple Green and Crystal Simple Green with unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green/Crystal Simple Green residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation. "

Good Post with lotss of Info.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:54:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Naval Saftey Center

you want extrem simple green

bottom of page

be well.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top