Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/1/2005 12:40:03 AM EDT
For those interested I did my own rust test on a few gun oils/lubes that have already been tested and a few that have not been tested here yet.
I wish I had the ability to post pictures but I don't, sorry for that!

I used several pieces of angle iron that can rust if you look at it wrong! I cleaned them with brake cleaner and 91% isopropal alcohol. I then labled them and coated each piece with a heavy coat of oil.
I mixed a 3.6% salt mixture(a little stronger then sea water) and sprayed them all down with a heavy spray so that the salt water was standing on the iron.

So far after 6 hours here's how they are doing.

TW25B oil............No rust

Hoppes oil............Rusting heavly

Breakfree CLP.....No rust

FP-10..................No rust

Butches Gun oil..No rust

Tetra oil..............No rust

Slip 2000 CLP...No rust

So far only Hoppes is rusting. All of these were put on with a heavy coat. Tomorrow I'll do a lite coat and see what happends and post back. I'll also re do the whole test to make sure the results repeat and I did not make any mistakes.
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 4:35:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Apply them to the nails as if you were applying the products to your BORE or rifle mechanisms. Do you leave a thick layer on your rifle parts? I wipe off all the excess product from my rifle, so I do the same for the nails.
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 9:55:55 AM EDT
[#2]
The oils were put on heavy and were standing on the iron I then fliped the iron on it's side and let the oils run off and then sprayed them with salt water. I do this with my guns, I apply a heavt coat of oil and then stand the gun on end and let the extra oil run off. So this coat of oil was heavier then if I wiped it off but still not heavy enough to drip or run.

I will do the test with the oils wiped off to leave a very thin coat as well as I would leave on my carry gun. I'll let ya know how it goes!
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 5:57:49 PM EDT
[#3]
After sitting overnight 12 hours I checked the iron and all the water has evaporated. The results are as follows.

Hoppes.......rust covering whole surface

FP-10.........No rust which surprised me! I should add this is the Shooters Choice aerosal FP-10

Tetra...........No rust but a slight discolortion on the edge of the oil.

Slip 2000...No rust

Break Free..No rust

Tw25B........No rust

Butches Gun oil...No rust

Control....Completly rusted.

This was with a thin coat of oil that I would apply to my guns.

I'm going to redo this a few time to make sure the results are the same. I'm happey so far as all the oils but Hoppes seem to protect well. After seeing this I'd even use Fp-10 again.

The iron pieces had salt crystals all over for the record.

Link Posted: 1/1/2005 7:36:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Great post, very informative.   I won't be using hoppes oil anymore on my rifles.
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 9:19:29 PM EDT
[#5]
SS40,
Im not shocked the FP-10 did not rust.Thats exactly what Ive been seeing in my tests regarding FP-10.Thats why I have argued what I have been seeing in my tests.By the way the Shooters Choice FP-10,both aerosol and liquid are the same formula as the Firepower and all made by MPC.The aerosol is packaged under contract for Shooters choice out of house.
Also glad to see you got the same results with the TW-25B high Tech oil/MC-2500 as Ive seen.
As for leaving a film of oil on your weapons,thats exactly what I do and is how I test also.Been applying oil to my weapons like that for almost 30 years and never had an issue.Carry guns dry rather fast due to holster and clothes contact.A light film especially works for me in that area.
In fact I use 7/8" stencil brushes to apply the oil to my firearms.Put a few drops on the brush and paint away.Leaves a nice thin film.If you use TW-25B grease as I do,you probably know its about the only way to apply the stuff unless you use the EP.
Also,a cloth can be wasteful...it wastes oil and could also trap additives,especially PTFE.
Im not sure where the "wipe dry to the touch" theory has come from.My -10 says to leave a thin film of oil on the metal and to keep it unifrom,especially in high humidity and damp environments.I can see where wiping dry in dusty desert conditions could be the norm,but then again dry metal attracts dust also due to its negative charge...it just does not create mud as a layer of oil will.
But here in the humidity and dampness that is found in the southeast wiping the oil off the metal just not a function I would recommend...even with Break Free.Ive used Break Free since 1989 and can say,you better leave a thin film on you firearms just to be safe,especially in storage.
If you read some of the military and small arms folks memo's that are floating around,they recommend leaving a film of clp on the moving parts of the weapons to prevent failures in desert dusty conditions.It seems the oil film helps keep things working smoothly as the dust fouls the action.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:41:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys. Day 3 and the oils are starting to give in. I have misted them heavly now every 12 hours.

Hoppes....totally rusted

FP-10......starting to rust just a bit in the center but edges are ok????

Breakfree...light speckels starting all over

Slip 2000...Amazingly this has no rust yet!!!!!!!

Tetra....light rust around edges but not in the center

Butches...No rust but some discoloration.

TW25B oil...Just like the Tetra.

Control...RUSTED!!!!

I have to work a few 12 hour days so when have some time Tuesday I'll redo this test with fresh ground iron!
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 8:32:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Keep it going and see which one lasts the longest SS40.
By the way...the "Tidewater test" that my cousin did using my jug of FP-10(which is posted on fp10.com)was done with a light film of oil on the metal plates.MPC duplicated the test using the same procedure.So maybe you are seeing the results that are shown in those tests as well.Maybe Im not crazy afterall.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 8:48:46 PM EDT
[#8]
The fp-10 is the exact same as Shooters choice, except its cheaper, Shooters choice marks up the product.  you forgot to test militech and the new KG-4
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 2:20:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Miltec is widely known to off zero rust prevention.  I'll nolong use this oil. With what i have left in stock I mix in with my gear and motor oil.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 6:51:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Up date.
I just got home after a long day at work and I quickly checked them. They all have rust on them now.

I'm extreemly tired after 17 hours at work so I'm going to bed. I'll give a full report the the morning!
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:14:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I thought I smelled a B.S. when the infamous "Oil Test" was done recently.  I know that something was tampered with. FP10 is a very good protectant.  I have tested FP10 as well and no rust until days later. I think the tester had some agenda.

Thanks for the test SkagSig40
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:59:26 PM EDT
[#12]
try eezox.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:31:08 PM EDT
[#13]
So sorry I have not reported! I have the day off tomorrow and will report the finall results of test 1.

I'll also regrind the iron down to bare metal again and redo the whole test.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:36:28 PM EDT
[#14]
so Breakfree CLP did good?
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:54:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
so Breakfree CLP did good?

+1 thats what i use!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Final test 1 results after 3 days of salt sprays every 12 hours or so.

All oils but the Hoppes held off rust for the 1st day. The 2nd day Hoppes was totally rusted but the others were still mostly rust free. The other oils were as follows at the end of day 3.

TW25B......Rust where salt deposits were sitting but some shinny iron still protected

Tetra......."                                                                                                                            "

SLIP 2000....Rust only in the middle and all edges and sides were rust free. I think that is where the water pooled and was in contact with the iron longer.

Butches...Speckeled rust all over.

FP-10....Speckeled rust all over

Break Free....Same as the SLIP 2000

So for my test 1 It seems that SLIP 2000 and Break Free were tied at 1st place

2nd goes to TW25B and Tetra

3rd goes to FP-10 and Butches oil

4th to Hoppes.

I feel that all the oils EXCEPT for Hoppes provide PLENTY of Protection for your guns. They provided more then enough protection for up to 5-6 hours safely maybe even longer in that harsh environment.

Test 2 is under way with a little different results already!!!
Same test same Iron same salt water. 5 hours in the test the oils look like this:

TW25B...No rust

SLIP 2000...No rust

BreakFree.....No rust

Butches oil....Not testing yet but will as no Iron avalible

FP-10...SLIGHT SPOTS OF RUST AROUND SALT CRYSTALS @ 5 hours in.

Break Free...No rust.

Hoppes...No longer testing!

At eight hours all is the same including FP-10 as it has not rusted any more then what it was at the 5 hour mark.

I'll post back when the 3 days are up. Thank you!

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#17]
4th day into test and here are the results.

Slip 2000... rusting quiet a bit. Almost all shiney iron is covered with rust

Tw25B oil....spots of rust all over but not as bad as the SLIP 2000

FP-10....completey covered with rust. A little worse the SLIP 2000

Breakfree.....you guessed it, NO RUST!!!! it is starting to discolor though and I believe one more spray with salt water and rust will be setting in. BF did better this test then in the 1st test.

So in test 2 it looks like:

BreakFree #1

TW25B #2

SLIP 2000 #3

FP-10 #4

I felt all pieces of Iron and all felt like they had a film of oil on them. I don't know why and wish I knew why the results were different this time. I'm going to continue to test 2 more times to see how it turns out. So far I still feel the all of these oils provide more then enough rust protection in normal use and even if you were in the Ocean for a few hours just as long as you cleaned you gun with in a few hours you should get no rust on them.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:10:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Breakfree has been around a long time because it works, maybe some newers ones have an edge on it - but BF has a proven track record - I have been using it the last 20 years and will keep using it, I did get a sample of militec - nothing special and slip2000 but I didn't see much difference in use then militec - BF is still my old reliable.

They got this collectors oil now which has a longer stick life to it, BF product etc...  I use it for the ones in my case which I dont use atm

L8r
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top