Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2003 7:15:57 AM EDT
How do I remove from old barrel? It has,I'm sure baked on, any known chems that can disolve without too much damage to finish?
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 7:22:06 AM EDT
[#1]
heat with a propane torch.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 8:41:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I will give that a try.  The barrel is off the gun.  The lock tite is smeared on non thread surfaces.  Thanks
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 8:49:45 AM EDT
[#3]
If the barrel is already off then no need to heat it.Try soap and water first or maybe acetone or xylol.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 9:00:56 AM EDT
[#4]
There is a chemical remover, but it's nasty stuff for your liver... don't get it on you or breathe it.

Serious hobby stores sell "CyanoAcrylate Glue remover" or "C/A glue debonder"

I found some on-line for you:
[url]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXK299&P=7[/url]

OK, I have answered your question to some degree!

Now, I have no idea what this will do to the finish of your barrel, because you didn't tell us what the finish of your barrel is. I would think this stuff would mess up just about everything, from what I've seen it do.

You are going to need to soak the locktite for a long time. It's built to last, not be removed.

Personally, I would start with a plastic scraper, move to careful work with a hobby knife (Xacto type), maybe cold blue any nicks, then say "Screw it! This ain't no beauty contest!" The torch might help, but go EASY and use that exacto knife on the goo.

Good luck

Pete
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 10:35:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Acetone worked,  noticed letter S stamped on barrel. is that Oly mark for stainless??
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top