AR Sponsor
Posted: 9/25/2026 9:26:34 PM EDT
| new build has an adjustable(Superlative Arms) gas block. This is the first non pinned GB I have and wonder what I should do to keep things where they are supposed to be. Should I use red lok tite or rockset for the set screws? The barrel is dimpled for them. I was also thinking about trying to stake the screws . |
|
Gas blocks tend to get hot so I'd recommend rockset. I'd also be tempted to bed the gas block with rockset, i.e. put a thin coat of rockset on the journal before sliding on the gas block. I've never done this before, and I've never had one come loose, but if I wanted to be absolutely sure I'd consider it. |
I know I'll never go home.
So set fire to your ships, and past regrets, and be free.
So set fire to your ships, and past regrets, and be free.
|
Originally Posted By TGWLDR: Loctite 243 and proper torque. I use knurled set screws personally. +1 This plus a dimple does the job very well. I've never had a gas block come loose with this process. In fact I have had two gas blocks installed with this method that filled my cuss jar when I tried to remove them to swap handguards. If 243 and the proper screws can cause me to swear like a sailor when I am intentionally trying to remove them, then they sure aren't going anywhere by accident. |
|
Thanks guys. I used Red Lok tite and torqued to 25in/lbs. All I have at home is the Red, Purple and some Vibra Tite plus some Hot Lock. I don't plan on needing to remove the gas block anytime soon and I guess if I need to and can't get the screws out I'll just cut it off, wouldn't be the first time I've had to cut a gas block off. Any benefit to making a small stake on each screw or will that just mess thing up? ETA. saw the comment above on staking |
|
I use rocksett. Higher temp resistance than red and blue. Won't cook off. To remove drip water onto screws and hit with a small amount of heat. Heat doesnt do anything to the rocksett but it can help migrate the water to the threads. Never had an issue removing screws with rocksett. |
|
Rocksett is great cause the high temp tolerance. It doesn’t have a super high tensile strength. If you actually get your barrel good and hot loctite of the non high heat variety isn’t doing much after you get it hot the first time other than the residue and any fouling making your threads dirty. Like 3 mags kinda quick is enough to get hot enough to breakdown most common Loctite. Cheap insurance to use the right stuff. I’m not a scientist but I’ve seen way more than one gas block get loose from shit not installed well on factory guns, and home builds That said If you don’t shoot a ton it’ll probably be fine with what you did |
AR Sponsor
Join the Community
Your next conversation starts here.
Create your free account to join discussions, share your experience, save topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.
- Join discussions
- Follow topics and replies
- Connect with fellow enthusiasts
Already a member? Sign in
Stay informed by subscribing to our Newsletter

