Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/25/2018 8:03:25 PM EDT
I was extremely thankful to the person who sold me these that will remain unnamed. These appear to be only loaded and interested into a rifle once. 2 of them are engraved with an ‘AR 4’ so I’m assuming these are the mags for the prototype #4 rifle. That would make sense as that is the only one that is still US property and not in private  hands.

How many mags per rifle did they make? How many total?

I will get more pics tomorrow with measurements if needed.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 8:07:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was extremely thankful to the person who sold me these that will remain unnamed. These appear to be only loaded and interested into a rifle once. 2 of them are engraved with an ‘AR 4’ so I’m assuming these are the mags for the prototype #4 rifle. That would make sense as that is the only one that is still US property and not in private  hands.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/372020/620E8287-52F6-4526-8E7B-3746DD71E7A6-464435.JPG
View Quote
Are they stolen government property?
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 8:09:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Not likely. No way of knowing either so no point
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 8:28:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn.  Outstanding acquisition!
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 9:01:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Wtf... you have the best stuff!
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 9:24:35 PM EDT
[#5]
OUTSTANDING acquisition!
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 10:17:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Those are awesome!! Floor plate/follower pictures please.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 10:21:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh My! Are those actually 25 rounders?
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 10:32:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oh My! Are those actually 25 rounders?
View Quote
Yes actual 25 rounders
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 10:33:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Those are awesome!! Floor plate/follower pictures please.
View Quote
I will post better pictures tomorrow. Went to a show today so didnt have too much time to play with them
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 10:37:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow!  Incredible find!
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 10:40:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 2/25/2018 10:47:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/372020/620E8287-52F6-4526-8E7B-3746DD71E7A6-464435.JPG
Ever wonder the same thing about 1968 amnesty registered M16 receivers?
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 10:49:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/25/2018 11:01:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Maybe get with Brownell's so they can make retros?
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 11:04:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not retro but I have a CAPCO A2 upper.  I called the company to try to get a little info on them and they told me I was in possession of stolen govt property.... Oops, my bad...
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 11:05:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Maybe get with Brownell's so they can make retros?
View Quote
The problem is these are not made for m16's so they dont fit anyones build. Also they are unmarked so high chance of knock offs unfortunately...
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 11:06:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not retro but I have a CAPCO A2 upper.  I called the company to try to get a little info on them and they told me I was in possession of stolen govt property.... Oops, my bad...
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 11:13:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Great score, can't wait to see more pics!
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 11:26:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Wonder how many of those are left intact
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 9:14:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Knight owns #4.

Out of the 30 forging sets made, at least 27 to 29 rifles were created. 4 are known to be in collectors hands, and 5 are known to be in US Army museums. The whereabouts of the other 18 to 20 rifles is a mystery. The 30th set of forgings were in Bob Miller's collection if I remember right.

I couldn't find any magazine count in the documents I have. If you figure at least 2 to 4 per rifle, it could be anywhere from 60 to 120. They likely made at least 200 or so given all the testing they did throughout the world.

The ones you've got there look absolutely amazing. That they somehow went virtually unused for the last 60 years is astounding. Very nice.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 10:48:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The problem is these are not made for m16's so they dont fit anyones build. Also they are unmarked so high chance of knock offs unfortunately...
View Quote
The fact that they DO NOT FIT anyones build is a GOOD thing.  The reproductions could be made so that they DO fit our builds, and thus would be different enough from the originals that nobody could pass them off as originals.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 12:35:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The fact that they DO NOT FIT anyones build is a GOOD thing.  The reproductions could be made so that they DO fit our builds, and thus would be different enough from the originals that nobody could pass them off as originals.
View Quote
OK ill give you that one. Ill contact them to see if it is something that would want to do. There are measurements out there so I dont think they would need a mag but just the dimensions.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Wow those are spectacular, Alex has the ability to obtain the unobtainable, many thanks for the great parts I've bought from you over the years
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 10:36:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Knight owns #4.

Out of the 30 forging sets made, at least 27 to 29 rifles were created. 4 are known to be in collectors hands, and 5 are known to be in US Army museums. The whereabouts of the other 18 to 20 rifles is a mystery. The 30th set of forgings were in Bob Miller's collection if I remember right.

I couldn't find any magazine count in the documents I have. If you figure at least 2 to 4 per rifle, it could be anywhere from 60 to 120. They likely made at least 200 or so given all the testing they did throughout the world.

The ones you've got there look absolutely amazing. That they somehow went virtually unused for the last 60 years is astounding. Very nice.
View Quote
I did not know so many were made. I always believed it was under 10 but good to know. Any more info in any books about this?
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 10:37:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Wow those are spectacular, Alex has the ability to obtain the unobtainable, many thanks for the great parts I've bought from you over the years
View Quote
I appreciate it! I have alot of time on my hands right now so always throwing lines out to see if I can get some nibbles! Have to throw alot out to get a nibble
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 1:48:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I did not know so many were made. I always believed it was under 10 but good to know. Any more info in any books about this?
View Quote
Unfortunately no. On page 61 of The Black Rifle, there is a photo of a set of prototype forgings and an accompanying note from Jim Sullivan. It states that the forging set is one of 40 made by Harvey Aluminum in 1959. Obviously that's a bit late as the rifles were tested in 1958. I believe someone, either Sullivan, or the author, got the date wrong. In either case, this seems to indicate that perhaps as many as 39 rifles could have been made (as we must discount the unfinished forging set).

We know from photos that Knight presently owns X01 (THE prototype), as well as #1 and #4.

The Rifleman LLC. owned #2 and #3 as of last year.

Those are the only known prototypes in "collectors" hands, if you count Knight as a private collector and not another museum.

The museum at Aberdeen held #7 on public display until it was closed several years ago.

Springfield has #8 on display in its museum and has #6, #11, #22, and #27 in it's collection. They have photos of these in their online archive.

That's it as far as what is known to be left to the best of my knowledge.

The May 27, 1958 Evaluation of SVHC Rifles from Fort Benning lists rifles #12, #13, #16, and #17 as being used in their testing.

The Dec. 26, 1958 report from Aberdeen Proving Ground lists rifles #10, #14, #18 being tested repeatedly and briefly mentions #5 having previously been tested.

Where any of those ended up is anyone's guess. Furthermore, that still leaves #9, #15, #19, #20, #21, #23, #24, #25, and #26 unaccounted for in documentation or photography. If we go out on a limb and assume ArmaLite made 39, that also leaves #28-#39 unaccounted for as well.

I think, definitively, we can say that they made at least 27 and that, today, we only know of 10 that survive, not counting the X01 prototype.

That's quite a bit of "missing" hardware and potential accessories.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 2:44:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Unfortunately no. On page 61 of The Black Rifle, there is a photo of a set of prototype forgings and an accompanying note from Jim Sullivan. It states that the forging set is one of 40 made by Harvey Aluminum in 1959. Obviously that's a bit late as the rifles were tested in 1958. I believe someone, either Sullivan, or the author, got the date wrong. In either case, this seems to indicate that perhaps as many as 39 rifles could have been made (as we must discount the unfinished forging set).

We know from photos that Knight presently owns X01 (THE prototype), as well as #1 and #4.

Those are the only known prototypes in "collectors" hands, if you count Knight as a private collector and not another museum.

The museum at Aberdeen held #7 on public display until it was closed several years ago.

Springfield has #8 on display in its museum and has #6, #11, #22, and #27 in it's collection. They have photos of these in their online archive.

The May 27, 1958 Evaluation of SVHC Rifles from Fort Benning lists rifles #12, #13, #16, and #17 as being used in their testing.

The Dec. 26, 1958 report from Aberdeen Proving Ground lists rifles #10, #14, #18 being tested repeatedly and briefly mentions #5 having previously been tested.

Where any of those ended up is anyone's guess. Furthermore, that still leaves #9, #15, #19, #20, #21, #23, #24, #25, and #26 unaccounted for in documentation or photography. If we go out on a limb and assume ArmaLite made 39, that also leaves #28-#39 unaccounted for as well.

I think, definitively, we can say that they made at least 27 and that, today, we only know of 10 that survive, not counting the X01 prototype.

View Quote
Explains why there is a good chunk of parts from the original rifles. I have seen internals, buffers and gas systems but no barrels or uppers. Those might be on someones rifle who doesnt know what it is if they got it in the 80's when everything was cheap.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 3:11:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
There’s one on display at the Infantry Museum at Fort Benning.  I don’t know which Serial #, but a buddy sent me this pic when he was going through Airborne this summer because he knew that I’m into the retros.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 4:29:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
There’s one on display at the Infantry Museum at Fort Benning.  I don’t know which Serial #, but a buddy sent me this pic when he was going through Airborne this summer because he knew that I’m into the retros.  
View Quote
That looks like it might be one "we" haven't seen before.

It still has the trigger charger and hasn't been threaded. The serial number side is facing the public as well. I wish I could get a closer look.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 5:57:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That looks like it might be one "we" haven't seen before.

It still has the trigger charger and hasn't been threaded. The serial number side is facing the public as well. I wish I could get a closer look.
View Quote
Yeah he sent me the picture after he left the museum, so I didn't even think to ask him what the serial was.  I was also too excited and wanted to learn him some knowledge because he wasn't quite sure what he was looking at haha.    I'll be at fort Benning this summer for Airborne, so if no info comes up until then, i'll figure it out in June when I get there.

EDIT: I have a few buddies stationed there right now.  I'll ask if one can go in and figure it out for us
EDIT AGAIN: ...he lives right across the street. He'll go tomorrow
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 8:30:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Wonderful museum. Wish I could find my pics...
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 11:47:48 PM EDT
[#32]
In lieu of starting a new thread, I am posting these pictures here.  This 25rd Armalite magazine is a friend of mines, it is #6 or maybe #9.  We are trying to find out how many of these magazines were made.

Link Posted: 3/7/2018 12:19:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
In lieu of starting a new thread, I am posting these pictures here.  This 25rd Armalite magazine is a friend of mines, it is #6 or maybe #9.  We are trying to find out how many of these magazines were made.
View Quote
I posted a picture from this page on another thread, but it’s relevant here...  This may be a start.  Assuming 10 per rifle, as many as 390 mags?  Maybe after the first 10, they made less mags per rifle, who knows.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 5:46:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I posted a picture from this page on another thread, but it’s relevant here...  This may be a start.  Assuming 10 per rifle, as many as 390 mags?  Maybe after the first 10, they made less mags per rifle, who knows.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/463351/0753F615-0C51-48CD-94E5-1AC1482A772C-474189.JPG
View Quote
What book is that from? Interesting they went to Fort Greely... I am very close to there. Wonder if they still have the rifles or any parts...
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 8:11:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

What book is that from? Interesting they went to Fort Greely... I am very close to there. Wonder if they still have the rifles or any parts...
View Quote
This is The Black Rifle
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Well, it wasn’t the one day turn around I said, but here’s a couple of teaser pictures... I’ll put the more detailed ones in once I get them.

In the display case at the Infantry Museum in Fort Benning, GA:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 6:58:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Well, I'll be... It's number 13.

That's one of the rifles they tested in '58. I'd almost bet they have the other 3 in storage somewhere. I wonder if they're transferable?

What's up with that sling? It looks like it's got some kind of claw keeper... and maybe it's wrapped in tape?
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Well, I'll be... It's number 13.

That's one of the rifles they tested in '58. I'd almost bet they have the other 3 in storage somewhere. I wonder if they're transferable?

What's up with that sling? It looks like it's got some kind of claw keeper... and maybe it's wrapped in tape?
View Quote
I was looking at that as well.  Early prototype sling?    And yeah, it'd be interesting to see what they have.  I'll probably post all of the pictures compiled into one thread.  The 601 in the case looked like it had one of the prototype forward assists.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 8:07:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I was looking at that as well.  Early prototype sling?    And yeah, it'd be interesting to see what they have.  I'll probably post all of the pictures compiled into one thread.  The 601 in the case looked like it had one of the prototype forward assists.
View Quote
Seen that type of strap before. It's some sort of cinching strap.

I have a strap like it but it is too short to be used as a rifle sling. Has the same hardware but only 2' long.

GI's have used lots of non issue slings but I wonder if that is period.

What I have looks more like 80's issue to me.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 8:21:48 PM EDT
[#40]
It's not a sling. It's an equipment strap. Same buckle and diameter as used on all things like ammo can tie downs in tanks/apcs and gobs of applications of varying lengths. I've seen such straps with that closure from 6" long to 6 foot long , from cotton to nylon construction while I was in uniform.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 8:50:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's not a sling. It's an equipment strap. Same buckle and diameter as used on all things like ammo can tie downs in tanks/apcs and gobs of applications of varying lengths. I've seen such straps with that closure from 6" long to 6 foot long , from cotton to nylon construction while I was in uniform.
View Quote
I found it!

ePay links don't work anymore so search 152757598032 if you want a new rifle sling!
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 9:09:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I found it!

ePay links don't work anymore so search 152757598032 if you want a new rifle sling!
View Quote
I did a quick search and found them too haha.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Wow.  This is amazing!

I would love it if someone repro'd these and improved the design so it needs reliably.

I understand this is difficult due to the taper of 5.56/.223 casings,

I can dream, right?
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 12:59:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Wow.  This is amazing!

I would love it if someone repro'd these and improved the design so it needs reliably.

I understand this is difficult due to the taper of 5.56/.223 casings,

I can dream, right?
View Quote
You couldn't have it where you live anyway . . . . . . .
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#45]
I recently moved to NH so I'm good.  Haven't been online since I moved.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 5:11:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Anyway, I'd still love love to see a company do these up.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top