Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/27/2002 3:25:10 PM EDT
OK, here is a "different" question and I’m not sure exactly what board to post it to. I’m putting it on the full auto board because those guys have some pretty expensive toys and might have some ideas. I’m putting it on the maintenance board because keeping rust off my guns is maintenance and that is as close as I can come to figuring out what board to post this to…..

I am in the blueprint drawing stages of a new house. In this house I will have a gun vault/tornado room. It will be about 10x12 or 12x14 feet (not sure of exact size yet, depends on some other rooms and how they all fit). There will be a bank type safe door on it, walls are 12" high pressure fiber reinforced solid poured concrete with 1" rebar on 12" centers both vertically and horizontally. That will be plenty strong enough to thwart pretty much any burglar and will stand up to even a direct hit from a tornado.

Now my reason for this post; currently I have a large gun safe and have 2 goldenrod dehumidifiers and several large bags of descant in there. Living in Florida is good sometimes but the humidity is not so good (ever). The safe will have ducting to and from the A/C unit (with fire dampers connected to the fire alarm system that will also shut off the A/C in case of fire) how can I store the guns in there and keep the humidity LOW? I know the A/C will dry the air some (in the area of 50% relative) but I want it really low, like in the 30% range to help keep the guns rust free.

Do any of you out there have a safe room and what do you do? Are any of you out there certified architects, if so, what would you recommend?

(Just to avoid what I know is going to happen—Yes, I know the door needs to open in and not out in case the tornado drops a big tree in front of the door. That issue has been addressed in the design and will not need to be discussed here. )

Thanks to all for any assistance,

Jon - Lakeland, FL

Link Posted: 11/28/2002 8:25:58 AM EDT
Dame Jon I thought my closet was cool until now. You lucky guy. Heres my 2 pennies worth for keeping the humidity levels under control. I think the only real way would be to have the room "Air Tight" and have some type of air condition system feeding that room. That would be impressive and I would love to see a set up like that. Even then if power were lost you would have to rely on other methods. I lived on a boat for five years and the best way to keep the rust devils at bay for myself was to coat my guns in oil. Samuel
Top Top