Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/29/2004 4:47:17 PM EDT
The standard type trigger for an AR is built such that the contacting parts of the hammer and trigger touch at a slight angle to each other.  This causes the hammer to be cocked farther as you pull the trigger, and corresponds to a harder trigger pull because of the hammers spring also working against the trigger pull.  

Why doesnt someone make AR triggers with the contacting parts of the hammer and trigger meeting at a neutral angle???  The trigger sping would have to be a little stiffer to return the trigger, but its also possible a standard trigger spring would work just as well.  And you would get a much softer trigger pull out of the whole package with no sacrifice to safety or reliability.

I know modifying a stock trigger like this would mean taking off the heat treatment and such and such though.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:37:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Im sorry that this sounds so unclear.  I'm not good at figuring how to word stuff.  If I knew how to post a pic I would draw a diagram in Paint.  

Any comments welcome
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:16:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Take a look at the various aftermarket or match triggers available.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:06:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah lots of good stuff out there, but NOTHING is as reliable as the standard design.  Not even the RRA trigger.  And even factory Bushy triggers and other single stage triggers are all still over 5 or 6 lbs.  Some go as hight as 11.  Im just wondering why someone doesn improve the original without changing the concept.

I may take my old trigger out and weld a bead to the contact sufaces and do a lil "Smithing" to see what I can do with it.  Prolly have to trash it though.  And it sure wont have the heat treatment unless the welding does something I dont know about.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:46:18 AM EDT
[#4]
You're talking about an Accuracy Speaks FCG.

SD
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:21:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Thats it.  It doesnt look like they do the heat treating though.

Does anybody know how long these triggers last compared to standard?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:46:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Your observations are correct: the hammer moves backwards as the trigger is pulled.  Your mission now is to study up on the subject before becoming a trigger jockey.  There are several components to doing trigger work, only 1 of which is to make the trigger pull pleasant.  There are all kinds of pleasant trigger pulls that are absolutely unsafe.  Know what you are doing before filing.   I recommend the AGI video on AR trigger job.  Keep in mind while watching this video that they are showing you how to build a 2-stage trigger using standard parts.  Remember that the standard parts were designed that way so the gun can fire semi and full selectively.  Excellent aftermarket semi triggers move the primary sear backwards (up the hammer leg) where it should be - see Jard and JP Rifles for great single stagers.  And, report back with your findings.
-WhiteFox
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:21:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thats it.  It doesnt look like they do the heat treating though.

Does anybody know how long these triggers last compared to standard?

If you're referring to the units from accuracy speaks, they have much better heat treating than the standard parts and are very reliable.  I've got close to 5000 rounds plus a lot of dry fire on mine and it still looks and feels like it did when I first installed it.  Durability is -not-a problem with the AS trigger.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:28:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I have not heard of any reliability issues with the non-adjustable NM RRA trigger.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:55:45 PM EDT
[#9]
You haven't been listening in the right places then.  There have been quite a few reports on here of them losing the second stage or otherwise failing.  (I don't think any of them have been WOA-tuned though.)  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top