Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2010 3:14:52 PM EDT
I have a 7.62x39 AR and am having a problem with one of my magazines. I have no clue who made it, it is an older mag, but it is a 30 rounder. When unloaded the mag will fit into the gun, but when loaded it will not go in, at least not easliy, and it will not go in far enough to lock. Also, I can only get 16 rounds into the mag easily. I have 20 rounders that load without any problem, this 30 rounder just seems hard to load even from the start. I read in a post that you can put the mag in a vice and sqeeze it back down to size. I realize this is not a long term solution, just need to use the mag this weekend for a fun match at the local gun club, then I plan to order some new C Products 30 rounders. Is there anything else I can try and how much do you squeeze the mag in the vice???
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:38:21 PM EDT
With the mag empty, does it flex or make a noise when you squeeze it from any angle or position? If it flexes at all or makes a slight clicking or metal-to-metal scratching sound (the spring & follower shouldn't be making any sounds when doing this too), then you may have a weak, poor, or failed seam weld on it that's allowing the sides of the mag to expand just enough when it's loaded so that it won't fit in the magwell as easily as when it was empty. (This is a common telltale on used USGI's showing up at some gunshows for a too-good-to-be-true super cheap price.)

A good mag won't change dimensions loaded or unloaded. Open up the mag and check the spring, follower, & mag body internals. Post a picture if you can.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:07:16 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:38:19 AM EDT
Wow Larry! You guys are amazing to do that! Plus thanks for the insights - I didn't realize the whole mag body is heat treated, and it would swell if the treatment wasn't done right. I only thought the feedlip area would've been heat treated. Always glad of my decision to buy C-Products, 600+ times!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 1:56:17 PM EDT
Larry, that is awesome! C-Products rocks! I have sent Chad an email and will get that mag sent to you guys. I have no clue who made it, not a mark on it that I can find. I also have a 20 round mag that functions wonderfully, but again, it does not have any marks what so ever on it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 4:32:44 AM EDT
Top Top