Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/14/2010 9:04:41 AM EDT
I would like to install ,myself, a FF forend on my LR-308 but I don't have the .308 upper receiver block and I dont want to pay the 70 bucks that Brownell's has them listed for. Is there a way to do this without it. Especially one that does not involve me warping the upper receiver?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:22:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I've done 3 or 4 ar10 uppers without a block.  What I did (alot of guys wouldn't approve) was to use a hardwood board across the top rail the full length and another on the bottom, making sure the bottom one fits between the lugs with no gap.  Lay this in a vise sideways.  Make sure the jaws are centered on the center line of the receiver (up and down) and don't apply too much pressure, but enough where the receiver will not twist when torqueing the barrel nut.  I suggest at least a 5" vise.  Be careful because if something does go wrong, the guys here will never let you (or me for suggesting) live it down.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#2]
It's worth having the vise and vise block, and barrel wrench.  

Maybe see if someone in your ares has one you can borrow or rent.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I've done a lot of AR15's using the wooden blocks, and bench vice, with flattop uppers.

I don't know that I'd risk it with an AR-10 upper, though, considering how much more pricy that upper is, than your run-of-the mill AR15...

Knowing me, I'd probably go for it, but I'd also recommend people not doing about 50% of the things that I've done. ;)
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:15:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy the proper tools for the job.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top