Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/30/2003 6:22:33 AM EDT
I am ordering a Carbon Fiber hand guard from Hiperform for my midlength barrel I just got from ArmaLite. How much longer than carbine length is the gas port/gas block out towards the end?

How much shorter from full length?

How long are standard carbine handguards?

How long are the mid length handguards?
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 2:57:31 AM EDT
Looks like your not going to get an answer so I'll have a go. Measured from the barrel nut flange face of the barrel extension the CAR gas port is positioned anywhere between 178.5 mm to 180mm on some barrels. The CAR handguards are 170 mm over all length length. The RRA Mid Length handguards are 219 mm overall length.A difference of 49 mm. The difference in length of the 2 tubes is 50.4 mm.Therefore the position of the centre of the gas port for the mid length barrel would be 228.9 -230.4 mm from the nut face of the barrel extension.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 6:53:56 AM EDT
FAHR451: Thank you very much. Those measurements will work. I'm right where I was when I started. My first assumption was 2" longer. Based on your measurements from a standard 16" CAR barrel and what I measure on my Armalite barrel it seems that the Armalite gas port is about 1/4" further out than the RRA mid length. I measured 236.5 mm from the front face of the barrel extension flange (side the barrel nut bears on) to the center of the gas port and the gas tube has a 299 mm over all length. I'll have the guy make the hand guard 2 1/8" longer than the ones he makes for CARs and I should be good to go.
Top Top