Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 4/4/2006 10:11:01 AM EDT
I was drilling the hole for the selector spring/detent and it did not drill strait. The hole came out more to the back of the selector hole. I am not sure how to fix this and would like help. I thought (Its bad when I think so I do not do it often) that maby I could fill the hole with a weld, would that work?Thanks
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:27:43 PM EDT
I'd suggest pressing a dowel rod, either steel or aluminum into the hole u drilled and redril it.

I'd also suggest using some red loc-tite as well as the loc-tite primer. with those two used in conjuction with a slight press fit. it should never move.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:33:04 PM EDT
jb weld would fill it just fine, then you could redrill. another option would be to drill it out a little biggerthen install a sleave made from steel or brass from your local hobbie store and jb weld it in
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:53:02 PM EDT
what is jb weld and were can I get it?Thanks
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:53:47 PM EDT
were can i get some loc-titeThanks
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:01:10 PM EDT

Try this place this stuff looks like it will work

I hope this helps
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:04:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2006 3:07:29 PM EDT by SCRAMBLD]
I made the link above active alumaloy.net/

I'm not sure the alumaloy brazing rods will really do what you need as they will seal the surface hole but I doubt very seriously that you'll be able seal the entire hole for redrilling

Jb weld is an epoxy that is forms a very solid machinable surface. you can drill it, tap it just about anything you want. and this might work for your application since the spring doesn't move very much, but its possible that it could be whittled away by the springs movement, which will probably gum the spring up and make the selector difficult to move.

Loc-tite, most all major automotive parts store will have it, also industrial tooling supply houses will stock it.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:40:20 PM EDT
I would HIGHLY recommend finding a peice of AL welding rod and JB weld it in place, red loctite will work if the rod is real close to hole size. If you put steel or just JB weld your drill will walk, following the path of least resistence. You could even ream the hole larger to exactly fit an AL rod. I would use a new drill next time, unless it was just a bad setup. Good luck
Top Top