Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 4/28/2014 9:15:23 AM EDT
Not sure if this should be posted here or not but here goes, I have a Spikes ST-15 16" LE M4 Carbine and have not started relaoding for it yet but plan do as I have just received all my dies etc... The rifle did not come with a tag to indicate where the HS was set and since I control how far I bump the shoulder back this in a pretty good number to know and I don't have the HS gages to measure it so is there a way to shut off the gas so I can sort of fire form the case to get a shoulder measurement, I have called Spikes and left a message
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 11:16:09 AM EDT
Shoot the thing. Measure a fired case.........assuming you have something like an RCBS case gauge, or one of the doo dads that go on a set of calipers. Generally, a new unfired round is going to be .002 under min. headspace.
On another note........It's a gas gun and I wouldn't want the case to be real close to the chamber headspace anyway. There's a reason for small base dies for 223/AR's to boot..........and it's an off the shelf rifle.....doubt you could ever tell the accuracy difference anyway. But that's just my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 11:17:35 AM EDT
SEMI
Always full length resize.
some even have to use small base dies.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 12:03:46 PM EDT
I have not FL resized my semi auto rifles in a long time and it's not so much an accuracy issue as much as it's brass life, on my M1A for instance I go .005" under HS and have never had a issue with slam fires etc... by bumping back the shoulder minimally it reduces working the brass so much and I can get a few more loads from it before I have to toss if I FL resize my M1A brass and drop it in my case gage so it falls between the hi/lo cuts it puts it about .008"-.010" and that is hard on brass plus it does IMHO give you just a tweek on accuracy and since I plan on pushing the bullet out as far as I can without exceeding mag length which I hope will give me additional accuracy as the Nosler bullets I use prefer more jam than jump or at least they do in the M1A
Top Top