Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2006 6:22:43 PM EDT
I was cleaning my AR today and was on the carrier and bolt.  Looking at the bolt I noticed that one of the gas rings had a large piece missing.  I pulled them and installed a one piece so the rifle is back up and running, but it only has about 1800 or 2000 rounds through it.  Is this a symptom of another bad part like the carrier or the bolt itself?  This is my main defensive carbine and its got me worried.

Polytech
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Sometimes gas rings just break. It's unlikely that your bolt or bolt carrier was to blame.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:26:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Most likely you just need a new set of 3 gas rings. These are an 'expendable' item that is designed to wear. I would just replace the rings and not worry. Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:32:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I installed one of those one piece corkscew looking gas rings
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:38:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I put in one of those one piece gas rings and it has performed flawlessly.  I have only got maybe 1500 or so round out of it so far.  But it has been reliable.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:13:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I got rid of my Mcfarlands.... To much gas....I run the std. 3 pc. rings.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:37:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Replace them with the 1 Piece McFarlaand gas ring
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:51:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

What do you mean by this? How many rounds can you normall get out of the 3 ring setup? ...and the 1 piece?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:19:10 AM EDT
[#8]
No definite round count... Just look at them when you clean your gun.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:42:39 AM EDT
[#9]
So the 1 piece ring allowed too much gas to blow-by because of the violent nature of the carbine length gas system?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I got rid of my stock 3 pc rings in favor of the McFarland 1 pc ring. I love it.

I have a Wolff extra power extractor spring and a PRI Gas Buster CH. The setup works flawless
and I have yet to experience any issues at all.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:51:58 AM EDT
[#11]
What is different about the PRI gas buster CH?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top