Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/16/2008 1:52:16 PM EDT
I am thinking of getting a free float rail system for my AR, but I only have one and it would be considered my SHTF rifle. Would it be better for cleaning and such just to stick with the hand guards and not have to worry about special tools for cleaning or removing a gas tube? Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 2:02:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#2]
     I wouldn't bother.

I know that free floats are all the rage but in my mind unless you are useing the rifle for serious match use and really cranking on a competition sling it is all kind of pointless.
      Not everyone feels as I do but there is one guys opinion.

Save your money and put it towards a better trigger or practise ammo or training. These things will help you become a better shooter. The free float upper will make no noticeable difference unless you are very good to begin with .

Then again it's your gun and your money so have at it if you choose .
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 7:39:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I am thinking of getting a free float rail system for my AR, but I only have one and it would be considered my SHTF rifle. Would it be better for cleaning and such just to stick with the hand guards and not have to worry about special tools for cleaning or removing a gas tube? Thanks.

There is no reason you should have to remove your handguards to clean anything on your rifle.  You shouldn't have to clean the gas tube ever, unless you run a metric crap-ton of .22 conversion through it without firing it with .223 afterwards...

Go with whatever you think you'd like better.  I have my main gun w/ the rails because i like flip up F&R BUIS.  If you don't have any tactical accessories (VFG, light, etc) then don't worry about the rails.

My .02
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top