Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2004 1:19:45 PM EST
I just got a 6920. Although I am pleased to have the 6920, I am bummed a little bit at the lack of QC. One problem is severe milling marks on the A2 flash hider, which leads to my few questions.

I have a replacement A2 flash hider coming from SAW...it will be here in a few days along with a crush washer.

1) Will I be able to unscrew the A2 flash hider simply by steadying the rifle between my knees, or will I need to use some sort of vise (which I don't have)? Same with reinstalling the replacement?

2) Will a simple wrench marr the finish when I install the replacement? Is there a wrench out there that will not marr the finish?

Thanks in advance for any help. These may be very elementary questions for some of you guys...I apologize, but hey I'm learning.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:29:23 PM EST
Wow, you ordered an A2 flash hider from SAW. What did that cost you?

I prefer the peel washers since they allow me to pick the torque. I don't like to torque flash hiders over 15 foot punds.

Remove the upper from the rifle and lay the side of the front sight block on something hard like a brick. Use a towel over the brick to protect the finish. Use your left foot to hold down the fsb and your right hand on the wrench to remove the flash hider.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:37:08 PM EST
Thanks. Sounds like something I should be able to handle.. I just don't want to end up screwing something up. You know how it is...new toy and all. Once I get it to the range and shoot it, I won't be so paranoid anymore.

Yeah, I called Colt CS and complained a little...they referred me to SAW since it was only a $10 item. SAW was pretty cool to work with.

Thanks again!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:37:40 PM EST
A padded bench vise is the best way to hold it down.

If you continue to fool with guns, a bench vise is a very wise investment that will come in handy like you won't believe. It will give you that "third" hand.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:02:39 PM EST
You're right Rebel. Instead of eyeing up accessories right away, I should be looking to get tools to do PROPER maintenance. Accessories can come later. Thanks for the sound advice.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:46:55 AM EST

Originally Posted By tfisch67:
You're right Rebel. Instead of eyeing up accessories right away, I should be looking to get tools to do PROPER maintenance. Accessories can come later. Thanks for the sound advice.

I'm just now buying proper tools now that I'm on my 7th AR. The money I've spent on smiths to do work which I've discovered is pretty basic was more than what the tools cost. The only thing I'm a little leary of is dealing with the barrel extension and headspacing. Everything else seems to be childs play to the mechanically unchallenged.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:03:23 PM EST
What do you recommend in a good AR tool kit? Rebel mentioned the bench vise. I went over to brownells and saw an AR kit for $900+ . Can't afford that one right now...holy moly. Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:34:24 PM EST
I would be sure to get an upper receiver vise block, a good barrel wrench, a set of punches, lower vise block (to hold the lower on the vise) and some masking tape. Also helpful but less used are headspace gauges, collapsable stock wrenches, and screwdrivers.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:41:22 AM EST
O.K. Ghost Shooter. Well, so far I have the collapsable stock wrench and screw drivers. I'm gonna print off your message and gradually order the tools listed. I really do appreciate the help and advice you guys so freely give out here at AR15.com. Thanks!
Top Top