Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/19/2003 4:01:25 PM EDT
Hi all great forum,I am going to buy a 16"AR15
Post Ban Carbine kit. And I gather from this forum that the J&T Kits are very good.Any input on the kits from M&A Parts Inc? They claim to come direct from Goverment contractor
& have good prices.Also this is prolly a dumb
question, but as long as I use Post Ban Kit &
Post ban Lower Receiver I will be legal? The reason I ask is I read this in one of the links in here. ( It should be noted that it is a felony to possess a Post-Ban (newly assembled after Sept 13, 1994) assault weapon.)I'm thinking that it was supposed to be Pre Ban!  Thank's for any info!
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 4:17:37 PM EDT
[#1]
No, dude...the quote was right.  You cant build an assault weapon.

What, exactly is an assault weapon, do you ask?
Well, f*%&$ Bill Clinton and company decided an assault weapon was one that had more than two bad features on a big list of cool stuff.

You can only have, like 2 points...and one is high capacity magazines, and one is a pistol grip.  Guess what? every AR on the planet has those...so I guess you dont want anything else on the list, like flash hiders, bayonet lugs and stuff like that.

Buy a post ban kit and your cool.  No "real" collapsible stock, though.  Make sure its pinned, or have your local gunsmith do it to the right length.

my 2 cents, hope it helps.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:37:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I just got my post-ban 16" mid-length kit through M&A and was very pleased with the quality, fit & finish. It mated perfectly with my Eagle Arms (Armalite) lower.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:29:08 AM EDT
[#3]
You can only have, like 2 points...and one is high capacity magazines, and one is a pistol grip.  Guess what? every AR on the planet has those...so I guess you dont want anything else on the list, like flash hiders, bayonet lugs and stuff like that.
View Quote

The law allows one of the "bad" features IF the centerfire rifle has the ability to accept a removeable magazine.. If you can not live without a [insert "bad" feature" here], then get rid of the pistol grip..

Another way to get a rifle with all those "bad" features is if you [and this is probably stretching the limits on you true AR-15 folks, unlike us regulated Kalifornians] go out and get a lower receiver that can not accept a removeable magazine (IE: FAB-10) - If you get one of those you can knock yourself out with any and all of those "bad" features.

Not by choice, I have to go the FAB-10 way. I'm trying to look on the bright side - at least I'll still have an "AR-15 look-alike fixed-magazine rifle" (can't call them AR-15s in Kalifornia or the Liberals will freak) and I'll be able to piss off those idiots in office with all those extra features.[}:)]

Or maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of these things than they really are.. nah. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:19:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks 4 the info all. Yea I understand about only two evil features and am quit content with that, I just misunderstood the phrase i my first post, thought it was saying that I couldnt even build a post ban gun at all. I'm clear now, LOL. I'm going to order a J&T Post ban 16"CAR Kit w/tac comp. A shop here carries the RRA lowers,so will get one of them. This forum has been very helpful as I was intending to get a ASA Kit before I ck'd out this forum.
Thanks all, will let you know how it turns out when I get it.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top