Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/2/2006 12:57:03 AM EDT
Here it is my first AR build.

Stag limited edition m4 upper with pinned YHM Phantom 5C2 (Dennys guns)

Badger Ordnance Tac Latch (Brownells)

Troy Rear Folding Battle Sight (Dennys guns)

RRA striped lower (Northwest Houston Tactical)

Bushmaster LPK (Bushmaster)

JP trigger and hammer (Brownells)

KNS hammer and trigger pin set (Brownells)

Magpul M93B stock w/ H buffer and spring, MAID grip and enhanced trigger guard (Dennys guns, except the trigger guard which was from Brownells)

And now to please the picture tribunal:







The build took me much longer than I expected, I had an issue with the Magpul stock, the right hand claw didn't have a chamfer on the taped hole and the thread had a bur that laid back into the thread causing the rear bolt to start cross threaded. Disassembly of the 2 claws when the spacer has been put into place is a pain in the ass, but once I got it apart fixing the lead in of that taped hole was just a matter of using a scraper and running the supplied bolt in from the rear and repeating as needed. Timing the buffer tube didn't go quick either, when I found the combination of 2 shims that was almost right I needed to remove a bit of material to get it right but for some reason a file only removed the molding marks on the shims but a medium india stone worked, go figure, YMMV though (medium india stone was the most aggressive stone I had handy). I took my time timing the disconnector that came with the JP trigger but I wasn't so impressed with it's quality and put the disconnector in from the bushmaster LPK and it was timed perfectly with no modification, wouldn't you know. Unforchently these factors led to the build lasting into the morning (along with some reloading I did) and I missed the Houston New Years Eve shoot at the impact zone :( .

The push pin is pretty damn hard to push in, at first I couldn't get it into the left side of the lower without using a dead blow hammer but now I can push it in via my thumb but it's not easy, taking it down still requires a push pin tool and a hammer. It's getting easier to take down but I don't know how long it will take to being where I'd like it to be.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:15:17 AM EDT
put some rails on that mofo
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:44:44 AM EDT
another black rifle was born. Job well done
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:00:00 AM EDT
Everytime I see that stock I think of................Voltron
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:41:44 AM EDT
Which two shims did you have to use on the stock, the closest I've come to getting it all to line up right leaves a little wiggle in it, is yours tight ?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:32:30 AM EDT
Grrrrr, SWEET! Slap an EOTech on that puppy and go!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:37:26 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:28:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By UtahARguy:
Which two shims did you have to use on the stock, the closest I've come to getting it all to line up right leaves a little wiggle in it, is yours tight ?

I used the .040 and the .035 shims but with this combo it was ~15 degrees short so I used a medium india stone (a sanding block would probably be ideal) to take some material off the shims until it was timed perfectly. And it is TIGHT.

A rail and an EOTech, I'll get an EOTech pretty soon but I'm on the fence about putting rails on her. If I do it will be one of the 2 piece free floated designs (Samson, Troy or MI). I don't know much about the MI rail but it sure is priced right, I'd love to hear some feedback from anybody that has one and see some more detailed pictures too.

Patient I gotcha fooled! The AR build wasn't so bad it was just a few gotchas but the work I did on that 1911 was pretty damn tedious at times. The steel on that Springfield is HARD, fitting the beavertail and filing the mag weld took forever. On the mag weld I just did a bit at a time and then put it down and come back to it later until I was done. Now on the trigger work that was down right testing, the hammer and sear pins in the frame are not perfectly parallel so I had to use a hammer hook squaring file and layout fluid to get full engagement between the hammer hooks and the sear. Setting the primary sear angle and cutting the secondary relief was cake after that experience (30x magnification and having the right tools helps a ton too).
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:20:58 PM EDT
Very nice first build. You did good.

Originally Posted By Inspector1:
put some rails on that mofo

BS - Don't add crap and waste money on stuff you don't need and just add weight.

Originally Posted By 3-4CAV
Slap an EOTech on that puppy and go!

Good advice if you are looking for an optic
Top Top