Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2007 9:54:45 AM EDT
New to the AR platform. Should I clean the rifle before firing it for the first time? Or just shoot it and clean after first shoot?
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 10:49:07 AM EDT
Clean and lube before firing.

There are tacked threads posted at the top in this fourm that cover the how to's.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 3:08:58 AM EDT
Yes , clean and inspect before takeing to the range. WD
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 5:43:07 AM EDT
Thank you for your invaluable advice. I received the following from the manufacturer.

"I would suggest a basic field cleaning of the rifle before you shoot it for
the first time. I would not clean the barrel in any way though. With a
chrome lined barrel you should break in the barrel by shooting approximately
200-300 rounds before you clean it for the first time."

This site is extremely beneficial. Although I have only been reading it for a short time span I have found a wealth of information that allows me to make an educated decision.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 12:19:46 PM EDT
I would pull a dry patch before fireing. You just never know what could be in there. But agree with the 2-300 rnds. There's really nothing to break in on a chromed barrel. Congrads, WarDawg
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:04:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By WarDawg:
I would pull a dry patch before fireing. You just never know what could be in there. But agree with the 2-300 rnds. There's really nothing to break in on a chromed barrel. Congrads, WarDawg

+1 on running a patch through the barrel to remove any "post manufacturing" debris that might be lurking in there.

Tack
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:24:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Tack:
+1 on running a patch through the barrel to remove any "post manufacturing" debris that might be lurking in there.

Tack

Agreed.

I have a new SAM-R clone that’s about to gets it’s first “pre-range” cleaning. The barrel will get a good flushing out with Break-Free Powder Blast then the basic cleaning with CLP. The rest of the rifle will get lubed as normal with a bit of extra lube on the gas rings, cam pin, bolt lugs and bolt carrier rails just for break-in
Top Top