Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2006 7:21:11 PM EDT
Newb here looking for my first M16/M4 style civilian legal rifle. I would like a complete flat top rifle with a telescoping butt-stock. I'd like to attach a red dot scope for optics, and a picatinny rail with vert grip. Can the knowlegeable experts out there, give me advice on all the components I'd like to get, such as companies/manufacturers?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:32:59 PM EDT
[#1]
read around--expecially the tacked threads, try your "search" button

for a stock AR, stick to the ABCDR brands

same for parts, but include CMT and LMT

can you be a little more specfic--uses for the AR? budget? build or buy whole? etc
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:47:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd like a "buy whole" rifle. As for uses, I'd like it for personal defense and just shootin at the range for shits and giggles. Dealing with budget, I wouldnt mind spending two thousand just to start with.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:38:48 PM EDT
[#3]
You're in CA,  your options for buying whole rifles is limited.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:19:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

He could get a nice Preban lower and add the bells and whistles to it.  No?

TS
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:43:12 PM EDT
[#5]
moving to arizona soon, no strict bans, sorry didnt mention
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:57:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Dealing with budget, I wouldnt mind spending two thousand just to start with.

2K to get started?  Holy Crap, where do we start?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:14:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He could get a nice Preban lower and add the bells and whistles to it.  No?

TS

Nope.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:24:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'd like a "buy whole" rifle. As for uses, I'd like it for personal defense and just shootin at the range for shits and giggles. Dealing with budget, I wouldnt mind spending two thousand just to start with.

You will buy a hell of a carbine/rifle for 2k.  With that cheddar I would go all out with a Noveske N4SPR or BUILD one around a WOA SPR upper.

My .02.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:39:22 PM EDT
[#9]
$2k to start?! Nice! You should do well.

I'm @ $2k with 98% of everything I want in an AR that is currently available. This includes case, light, optics, cleaning supplies, mags etc. The only thing I didn't get was a LaRue FF tube.

If you want to learn all you can, just lurk here a little while and read all you can. I learned so much in so little time just reading things on this site.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:12:10 PM EDT
[#10]
With a $2K budget you could get a M4 type carbine and pick any brand you like, Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, LMT, RRA, Stag Arms, etc.

Dont get Vulcan/ Hesse.

For optics either an Aimpoint or EOTech would be fine.

You should also get a back up iron sight like ARMS, Troy, Knight's or LaRue.

If you want to put railed handguard Midwest Industries, Knight's Armament Co. (KAC) M4 RAS, Samson/ Troy brands are some of the brands to choose from.

If you want a vertical front grip look at the KAC or TangoDown, they're popular.

Don't forget plenty of mags and ammo.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top