Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/10/2007 1:13:40 PM EDT
Between an AR-15, M-4, and M-16?  I only ask because I've seen accessories mention that they're for M-4 (and, by default, not the other 2?)  or something similar.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:23:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to arf.com

In a nutshell...

M16 and it’s different enhancements are the military rifle.

M4 and it’s different enhancements are the military carbine.

AR-15 has been Colt’s model name for their civilian semi auto.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#2]
M-16 is fully automatic. with a rifle gas system

M-4 are fully automatic with a carbine gas system

The name AR-15 is patented(sp) by COLT. Its the semi automatic version or civilian version.

kinda like chevy camaro.....colt ar-15....

all other manufacurers will have a similar name to ar-15 like..... Stags Stag-15....etc

*edit* I guess I pretty much said what ch139 said.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:42:31 PM EDT
[#3]
AR-15 is the original civilian name, whether full or semi-auto. It is usually associated with the semi-auto version due to full-auto being restricted by federal law.

M16 is the military designation. Originally full-auto, select-fire. Subsequent versions came in 3-round burst select-fire or full-auto. There were also carbine versions made.

M4 is the military designation for the carbine only version with only small changes from the M16 carbine. Many, including myself, think it was created so Colt could keep the sole patent for manufacturing it.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top