Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/20/2008 1:27:42 PM EDT
I am wondering how you use this tool in conjunction with a torque wrench. I am guessing you attach the torque wrench to the square hole beneath the barrel portion of the tool but I am confused about the slight offset. Is the offset of the hole enough of a distance to throw off the torque value because of the additional moment arm?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:33:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Never had a problem with it throwing off torque values. At least not that I can tell. The torque wrench mates with the multi wrench in the manner in which you've described. Certainly a good tool to have.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 3:20:39 PM EDT
[#2]
There are calculations to figure this out but I believe all the torque values are given in ranges so just target the middle of the range and all should be good
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:34:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok awesome, just the information I was looking for. Now for the next question, where can I get a torque wrench? Walmart? A car part shop?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:38:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Any auto parts store ought to have them.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I was fortunate to borrow one. Once you use it one time, you'll realize its not needed. When you tighten the barrel nut, you'll face two options. Stick with the notch its at or tighten a little harder and get to the next one. 9 times out of 10, go to the next one. It's not rocket science.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:30:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Torque wrenches are invaluable tools, don't skimp and go for a cheap, buy one that will last awhile and take care of it, if possible get a hard sided case for it.

Zach
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 10:23:24 AM EDT
[#7]
If you place the torque wrench 90 degrees to the barrel wrench, no calculations are needed.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 11:41:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Since I only used mine to build a few ARs, I just went to Harbor Freight.  Came in a hard case - was cheap and worked fine.

IMO 100% balls on torque isn't necessary.  If you are in the higher part of the range, you should be good.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 2:07:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ok awesome, just the information I was looking for. Now for the next question, where can I get a torque wrench? Walmart? A car part shop?

I bought mine from the auto section of Wal-Mart for $24 & it's pretty heavy duty/long. I can't remember the brand but it's prolly not anything high speed.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top