Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2017 9:44:26 AM EDT
Does anyone know of an outfit that makes custom bolts. Specifically a bolt face smaller than 223.
I want to do a custom 17 vha build and need a smaller than standard bolt face.

Thanks 
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:46:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Does anyone know of an outfit that makes custom bolts. Specifically a bolt face smaller than 223.
I want to do a custom 17 vha build and need a smaller than standard bolt face.

Thanks 
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/12/2017 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone who is manufacturing bolts could do it.

I'm assuming the bolt lugs will remain the same and work with a .223 barrel extension?

Will it use a .223 extractor and ejector in the same locations?

You are likely going to need proper manufacturing drawings before anyone will touch it.

This might be a bit more complicated than you thought.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone who is manufacturing bolts could do it.

I'm assuming the bolt lugs will remain the same and work with a .223 barrel extension?

Will it use a .223 extractor and ejector in the same locations?

You are likely going to need proper manufacturing drawings before anyone will touch it.

This might be a bit more complicated than you thought.
View Quote
Thanks, not quite the answer I was hoping for.  

Being in NZ complicates the issue also. I have seen blokes braze a bushing in and mod the extractor, but my build will be used for a high round count work gun so I don't think that will hold up over time.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 6:05:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks, not quite the answer I was hoping for.  

Being in NZ complicates the issue also. I have seen blokes braze a bushing in and mod the extractor, but my build will be used for a high round count work gun so I don't think that will hold up over time.
View Quote

Just curious, why do you want to go .17 over a .223 for what you need to do?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 6:50:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:45:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Just curious, why do you want to go .17 over a .223 for what you need to do?
View Quote

Was gonna ask the same thing.  Seems silly
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I am a commercial rabbit shooter. I do a lot of shooting close to built up areas. I use suppressed 17 hmr but I would like something with a longer legs and flat shooting.
All shooting is done with thermal scopes. so distance estimation is problematic. I use a 223 suppressed in more open country but even suppressed, it is loud. From what I have read
the 17 vha with 20g v-maxs gives 3500 odd fps, with 9 grains ish of powder. Not much louder than hmr and can be reloaded for less than hmr costs here. Semi auto would be great as there very frequently multiple targets.

Hope that makes sense.

AR57 rechambered would be ideal if it would function with 17 cal. But being blow back it could be an issue.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Even if you find someone who will do it, a one of will be very expensive.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 3:59:14 PM EDT
[#9]
A few thoughts

Franklin armory 17wsm

Alexander arms or Ray Bin 17hmr upper

What about a 22lr converted to 17hm2 ammo (it is harder to find but still being made)

Can you use a suppressor?

What's wrong with the 5.7x28 round?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:07:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Would a 5.7x28 bolt work?  Find an AR 57 bolt?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top