Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2003 10:38:40 PM EDT
My 12 year old looks like he is cross-dominant.  A couple of buddies worked with him on SASS shooting in Little Buckaroo classes in the past and he can take shooting or leave it.  He didn't have too many problems but there was little emphasis on speed or accuracy.  Just intro to shooting at fairly large targets at close range.  

Hasn't ever shot the AR and seems a little wary.  I let others teach him to this point so I wouldn't inject any frustration or bad habits.

I'm wondering if I should start with bench shooting at close ranges and block his left eye or try to get him to keep both eyes open.  I'm sure the Army and Marines have methods to work quickly past the challenge, but I'm not sure he needs that.  He seems to be getting a little ambivalent about shooting, not sure the influence at school is helping and I definitely don't want to overpressure him.  The last time out was the first time I took my shotguns out and he had fun throwing birds so if I could find a fun drill that may do the job.

I'm thinking breaking clay birds and/or taking some cheap soda cans out to get some good reactions before I move to paper punching with him.

Sights available are standard iron and a 3x-9x compact scope with duplex reticle mounted very low on handle.

TIA
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:12:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m cross eye dominant.  Left eye, right hand.

I shoot rifle right handed and just use my weak eye. I just close my left eye and use the sights.  I never had a problem, never needed to sticky note over my glasses on my left eye or any voodoo.  It just works for me to do that.

I wouldn’t worry too much.

After I had been shooting for a while I tried shooting left handed and using my left eye but it was too late to learn to do that well.  I can shoot that way and I practice every once in a while but I’m really not very good at it.

With a dot type scope I shoot with two eyes open.

With pistol I just use my left eye.

One thing…  I can’t shoot skeet or trap to save my life because I track the targets with my left eye.  I need to learn to do that left handed so I can track and shoot with the same eye.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:28:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm the same way - right handed/left eye dominant. I shoot left handed, and it seems to work OK for me. My 6 year old son is the same way, so I've got him shooting left-handed also - he seems to do pretty good with iron sights in that setup.

I would say - don't fight it. In my case, it's easier to learn using my left finger to pull the trigger than it is to learn how to use my right eye. YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:32:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I was cross eye dominant but closed my left eye to use sights and after 3-5 years of that I started getting lazy and not closing the eye and I found that I had actually become right eye dominant and cannow shoot with both eyes open.

It will happen if you shoot enough.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top