Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2009 7:50:57 PM EDT
So I've always used wolf in 7.62x39 no issues I can recall. Now with ammo getting crazy I finally broke down and started using Wolf on my AR's too. The thing is they smell like piss and old corrosive soviet bloc stuff, is it really non-corrosive with that smell?? I don't want to ruin my AR's. Like I said I've never had Wolf smell like this in AK loads. Thanks for any info and if it's non corrosive please technically explain why it smells. I'd just hate to ruin a good barrel by trying to save a few cents and getting wrong info.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:54:43 PM EDT
No, it's not corrosive.

Wolf is junk, but for blasting it's fine. Don't fret the smell, it's not supposed to be potpourri.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:58:14 PM EDT
K, thanks. Just never smelled it like that before from wolf and thought I got a bad batch or they were lowering their standards with the ammo crisis of late.

Along with hearing protection, I'll just bring nose protection next time to the range or wait until it warms up enough to go outside.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:05:20 PM EDT
Maybe its because of the DI gas system as opposed to the piston setup. The DI system sends alot more gas back thru the receiver, and with that tube getting so hot, i would think the smell would be alot more prominent with the AR system.

I am in the same boat as you as far as i have 7.62x39 but i just got an AR. I've used brass up til now in small amounts at a time, but just ordered 1k of wolf Military Classic. Berdan Primed non corrosive, hope my gun runs it no problems.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:14:10 PM EDT
Interesting thought but it's not the DI blowing it back cause I used it on a POF piston AR. My guess would be the powder or primer they use on 223 differs from the 7.62x39. I got the black box also, so not sure if that'll differ from yours at all as far as smell.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:28:39 PM EDT
Ammonia In the powder (maybe primers but I think not) is what makes the ammo smell so bad. A lot of cheap ammo has this problem, some more than others. I've almost gotten used to the smell.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:29:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/27/2009 8:30:24 PM EDT by Forgetfull]
whoops. disengage the mouse button.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:52:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Forgetfull:
Ammonia In the powder (maybe primers but I think not) is what makes the ammo smell so bad. A lot of cheap ammo has this problem, some more than others. I've almost gotten used to the smell.

Ammonia as a byproduct of the combustion of the powder is what you're smelling when you fire Wolf. Their powder doesn't smell any different from any other smokeless powder-pull a bullet on a round and see for yourself.

With that said, that smell sort of tips you off that their powder ain't like Winchester's. To me it says they are using a powder that, if it's "double base" (nitrocellulose and nitroglycerine) then there's awful little nitroglycerine in it. That means a lower energy level and probably lower combustion temperature, so it's also dirtier...
Top Top