Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/28/2006 8:45:20 PM EDT
Howdy all. I'm in the process of putting together my first AR, and hope to have it completed in the next few months. Hopefully by July. At the moment I have a Bushmaster LPK, and a 4 position stock w/assembly on the way. Next month will probably bring a stripped lower from either Stag Arms or RRA along with a reduced power trigger spring kit.

This rifle will be used for predator hunting primarily. At the present I do my calling with a 26" heavy barrelled 22-250, and while it is more accurrate than I am, it's sometimes a hassle to maneuver about, especially while night hunting.

So here is my dilema. I am not quite sure whether or not I should go with a 20" upper or 16". Either way it will probably be from J&T distributing, with a flat top receiver and gasblock sight base. I haven't done much shooting with the 20" model, and absolutely NONE with the 16" platform.  

So what do you guys think, based upon your experiences. My preferred ammo is a 55 grain Federal HP.

Jake
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:41:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm going to put an 18 inch barrel on my varmint/predator rig.  I would say to use the longer barrel if you take more LR shots, use the 16 if your shots are closer in range and if you want a more compact set up.  

Why the 18 on my future build?  No reason, it just looks neat.

Predatormasters (forums) might have some good info for you as well.  So might the hunting forum on this site.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:17:23 AM EDT
[#2]
What range are your normal shots ?
if you are in east TX woods and have short shots I would go with the 16" as it will make for an easer time in the brush.

if you are in west TX with longer shots go with the 20" for the higher speed at range

what do you normaly shoot ? yotes? cats?

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:00:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the information! My shots vary, from the majority being inside of 100 yards, to some stretching out to 300 when I have a yote hang up. I hunt from east Texas, to West of San Antonio, and up north as far as Woodson......so the terrain varies greatly!

I'd say that 90% of what I call in is yotes, then I get the odd cat every once in a while. I was really leaning towards a 16" model, but can't really make up my mind at this point.

I'll look into those 18" platforms as well!

Jake
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top