Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2013 5:30:07 AM EDT
Who produces the best/most accurate 308 in an AR platform? Money not with standing, how about some of the custom manufacturers such as JP & Les Baer?
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/19/2013 5:32:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Larue OBR.  

End of thread.
Link Posted: 5/19/2013 5:43:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I think most will agree the GA Precision GAP-10 is the most accurate 7.62 x 51 AR platform available.
Very hard to come by unless ordered direct.  Plan on a 6-8 month wait.

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2013-custom-rifles/ga-precision-g.a.-precision-gap-10-.html

http://www.gundigest.com/tactical-gear-articles/tactical-military-arms-blog/gun-review-ga-precision-gap-10

Link Posted: 5/19/2013 6:33:20 AM EDT
[#3]
http://www.lesbaer.com/AR308.html
1/2 MOA guarantee, just throwing it out there
Link Posted: 5/19/2013 6:43:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think most will agree the GA Precision GAP-10 is the most accurate 7.62 x 51 AR platform available.
Very hard to come by unless ordered direct.  Plan on a 6-8 month wait.

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2013-custom-rifles/ga-precision-g.a.-precision-gap-10-.html

http://www.gundigest.com/tactical-gear-articles/tactical-military-arms-blog/gun-review-ga-precision-gap-10

I would tend to agree, but there are a few others that that would also be in the same class like the LaRue etc.

One thing I do like really like about the GAP and would tilt me towards the GAP rifle is the Bartlein 5C barrel
one of the best available today...

One very Interesting thing with the GAP rifle is that they use a DPMS LR-308 pattern Instead of the original
AR-10 pattern platform...Likely due to the slightly better Industry support and easier parts availability etc.

Link Posted: 5/19/2013 12:18:55 PM EDT
[#5]
My OBR can shoot 1/2 MOA groups. I've likewise seen LB and GAP shoots one-ragged-hole groups. There are several top tier AR
308's that are capable of making itty, bitty groups on paper. KAC's are no slouches in the accuracy department and you can't forget about LMT either. Hell, I've  read a range report with an F&D defense rifle that shot 1/4 MOA groups. In the end, when speaking of "most accurate" or "best", it really has more to to with the person behind the trigger, than the capabilities of any of the many top tier AR's out there. It's really a great age if you're looking into precision gas guns.
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 4:42:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My OBR can shoot 1/2 MOA groups. I've likewise seen LB and GAP shoots one-ragged-hole groups. There are several top tier AR
308's that are capable of making itty, bitty groups on paper. KAC's are no slouches in the accuracy department and you can't forget about LMT either. Hell, I've  read a range report with an F&D defense rifle that shot 1/4 MOA groups. In the end, when speaking of "most accurate" or "best", it really has more to to with the person behind the trigger, than the capabilities of any of the many top tier AR's out there. It's really a great age if you're looking into precision gas guns.

Let's see it. Post your results here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1483386_THE_ARFCOM_1_MOA_ALL_DAY_LONG_CHALLENGE.html

I believe the most accurate 308 AR I have been behind is a GAP-10.  

I really like LaRue OBRs, but every one of them I have been behind tends to be about a 1.5 MOA gun, which is still excellent for a Semi-Auto rifle.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 4:26:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm sorry but I'd have to disagree with the OBR being the 1.5 moa gun you claim.  like noted above it is much close to a 1/2 to 3/4 moa.  I'll ask my friend to give me his next target when he is at the police range.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 4:31:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1483386_THE_ARFCOM_1_MOA_ALL_DAY_LONG_CHALLENGE.html

I really like LaRue OBRs, but every one of them I have been behind tends to be about a 1.5 MOA gun, which is still excellent for a Semi-Auto rifle.

Fixed it For you
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 4:36:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm sorry but I'd have to disagree with the OBR being the 1.5 moa gun you claim.  like noted above it is much close to a 1/2 to 3/4 moa.  I'll ask my friend to give me his next target when he is at the police range.

Sounds good, but the ones I have been behind are closer to 1.5 MOA guns which is about average for any Semi-Auto (this is over a course of fire, not sitting down and shooting 3 shot groups every 15 minutes).

I believe people overestimate the accuracy of any rifle, and a true "1 MOA all day long" shooter/gun combo is very rare indeed.

LaRue makes fine guns and other products, and am more than happy to spend my money there, but he does not manufacture heavy bench rifles, nor is that what he is after.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed it For you

Thanks, I wasn't paying attention when I posted that yesterday.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 5:39:50 AM EDT
[#10]
My dpms 260 is a 1/2 - 3/4 moa shooter.  So was my AR-10T.  Just needs to be fed well developed hand loads.

I'd go as far to say there is no such thing 1/2 moa shooters with factory ammo on the ar platform, larue and gap included.  I'm not knocking the gun, I'm saying the limiting factor is the ammo you are putting down the tube.

In my opinion the stamp on the side of the lower has very little to do with accuracy.  You can throw in a match trigger, krieger barrel with a hand matched bolt, and shoot 1/2 moa with hand loads... doesn't matter if its a dpms or a larue.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 7:08:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My dpms 260 is a 1/2 - 3/4 moa shooter.  So was my AR-10T.  Just needs to be fed well developed hand loads.

I'd go as far to say there is no such thing 1/2 moa shooters with factory ammo on the ar platform, larue and gap included.  I'm not knocking the gun, I'm saying the limiting factor is the ammo you are putting down the tube.

In my opinion the stamp on the side of the lower has very little to do with accuracy.  You can throw in a match trigger, krieger barrel with a hand matched bolt, and shoot 1/2 moa with hand loads... doesn't matter if its a dpms or a larue.

I will agree...all of my OBR time was with FGGM, which is great for factory ammo, but does not let a rifle live up to it's full potential.  It is the same as race cars doing custom gear ratios to take advantage of the engine...they would still be fast with a stock transmission, but they are better with fine tuning.

In my experience, the biggest factors in an accurate AR are the barrel and the trigger.  A good trigger is not necessary for an accurate gun, but it really helps, alot.
Link Posted: 5/22/2013 7:20:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Larue OBR.  

End of thread.

Link Posted: 5/22/2013 2:11:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Hi,

I got a couple requests to add your claim to the 1 MOA All Day Challenge: Wall of Claim. It met the criteria, so I put it up.

I personally don't think .5 MOA from a Larue is that unachievable, but... I got multiple requests and it fell within the submission guidelines.

To see the challenge and rules for having your name removed from the Wall of Claim list, please see the first and third posts here

Thanks.

Stanton
Link Posted: 5/22/2013 7:24:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My OBR can shoot 1/2 MOA groups. .

On noes you didn't!  
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 4:18:48 AM EDT
[#15]
What about F&D Defense?
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 6:09:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What about F&D Defense?

Whom?
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 8:40:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Red Jacket Firearms
No....Just kiddin'
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 2:32:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Another question which might throw a wrinkle into the decision; I might be interested in installing a silencer  on the AR 308. Would that make a difference in which manufacturer or type of AR platform. AS of now I seem to have narrowed my choice down to either a Les Baer or JP. My current thinking is the JP route may allow me to customize the gun a bit more but perhaps the silencer idea changes everything. As you can tell I am a bit new to some of these options and the effect they might have on gun choices.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 3:41:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just needs to be fed well developed hand loads.

I'd go as far to say there is no such thing 1/2 moa shooters with factory ammo on the ar platform, .

True, for me to get that I have to make my own 75gr OTMs.

Solly, not .308

But the same is true also, mine is good using 168's I make.
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 11:22:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm sure there are a lot of great shooting Les Baer's, but my LWRC would out shoot it on a bad day. i have a Hogan Sniper Elite that shoots sub moa even with me  shooting, but I'm fixing to try out the Christensen CA-10.

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top