Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 5/9/2003 7:39:01 PM EDT
I recieved my RRA 20" varmint upper, RRA 1 piece rings, and my leupold 4.5x14 glass today. When I went to mount it, I ended up getting the rings mounted halfway past the rail on my upper (half fits on the rail, and half hangs over the front edge).

Doing this, I can get pretty close to nose to chargin handle when at 14x, and about an inch or so back from chargin handle when down to 4.5x.

I mounted it this far forward because I'm used to keeping my head forward when using irons and my TA31F ACOG on my other rifle. Just wanted to keep fairly consistent.

Anyhoo... The rings/scope seems very stable, not at all lose. The base of the rings does not touch the FF tube, just hangs over it. It seems to me this would work w/o a problem, but wanted to make sure.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:47:18 PM EDT
I dunno, man.........that isn't a very durable way to mount the scope, and you've lost fully half of the contact surface, making the whole set-up pretty weak. Have you thought about maybe putting a scout rail on it to give you more rail to work with?
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:30:57 PM EDT
Yeah, I at first thought it wouldn't be too sturdy, but the suckers on there, I wiggled and knocked it around (not TOO hard) to see if it was gonna fail easily, and it seems like it's on there pretty good. I never considered a scout rail, I actually never used a scope that needed 4-5" of eye relief before, and didn't expect this when I bought it (mail order). I assume this would extend the rail further forward, by attatching a slightly higher rail to my existing rail, correct? If that's the case, wouldn't that be doing the exact same thing I am? Just with the rail rather than the rings? (feel free to abuse me for the possible newbish question, heh... new to the whole varmint type setups)
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 9:48:56 PM EDT
I assume this would extend the rail further forward, by attatching a slightly higher rail to my existing rail, correct?
View Quote
Yep.
If that's the case, wouldn't that be doing the exact same thing I am?
View Quote
Technically, yes, but the full clamping ability of the mount would be used; in the current way you have it mounted, you've lost half of that, and that makes the scope much more prone to being knocked of zero. But ya know what? If it works, keep it that way, what the hell? I've seen some pretty strange looking setups that worked just fine.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 10:13:28 PM EDT
I doubt I'll have time to get a scout rail ordered and to me before I go shooting it here in the next couple of days, but I'll consider it. What is a decent manufacturer, and price for one? I'll be "field testing" it in the config it's in now... but if the rail isn't too expensive, I'll probably get one regardless just to be on the safe side. Thnx for the suggestion.
Top Top