Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/12/2005 12:24:07 AM EDT
Ok, so I know its not a probem on the current A2/A3 uppers with a brass deflector, but how about the early A1s? Did any of you lefty shooters have problems with them? I am trying to decide between an A1 upper with the forward assist and deflector and a classic slickside for my next build. It's going to be a semi-retro setup so I would to go with the slickside, but if I will constantly be taking hot brass to the face I'm thinking the deflector might be worth it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:09:12 AM EDT
Yes, hot brass in your cheek and down your shirt sometimes.

That's why I went with a C7 upper for my retro, which is an A1 with the deflector.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:38:19 PM EDT
Nice rifle, the more I think about it the more sense the deflector makes.

On a side note, does anyone know where you can buy an A1 pistol grip without buying an entire furniture set?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:32:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2005 5:33:44 PM EDT by shamayim]
Have an XM177E2 clone, built on a Colt SP1 lower, an Air Force M16 clone w/a Colt upper assy, and an M16A1 clone also on a Colt GI upper assy. Niether of the two rifle length pieces shoot the brass anywhere near my head. The XM177E2 clone does. It clangs the brass off the right ear piece of my muffs and once---ONCE in over 25 years of ownership and Lord knows haow many rounds, put one down my neck. And that was off a bench rest. On my hind legs or sitting, it doesn't even hit the ear muffs.

The secret? Put Wolff HD extractor spings in the piece. They chenge the angle of ejection to more nearly a sideways ejection pattern. In fact, on the M4gery and C7 clone at my house, the empties barely touch the extreme tip of the hump on the way out.

So if you want an early type clone,, do it w/o fear. Yes, the old A1s with the softer extractor springs did sometimes put one straight back, but with the stiffer springs, no problem
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:03:27 PM EDT
I’m left handed and most of the arf type rifles that I have shot that do not have a brass deflector have shot the hot brass right back at my head and down my shirt.

However, I had an opportunity to fire an Air Force GUU-5P. The brass shot straight out to the side, nowhere near my head. The armorer explained to me that it all has to do with the extractor spring. Just like shamayim already said. I have a pretty good hankerin to build a GUU-5P at some point and am still a little bit leery about using a slick side upper, but I know it works.

Top Top