Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
AR Sponsor
11/9/2008 7:14:45 PM EDT
I haven't really seen many Aimpoints on A1 or A2 style AR's and was just wondering if anyone could post pics or comment on their experiences with this setup.  I was looking at a mount like the A.R.M.S #16A.  Yes, I understand a lot of people will say you shouldn't mount an optic on the carry handle, just spend the extra cash and go A3, etc. but I just wanted to know if any other people have tried it before.  Thanks!
11/9/2008 8:17:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I had an Aimpoint on my carry handle via ARMS #16A for about 3 years.  It's a solid mount and never experienced any loss of zero or any loosening of the mount.

Yes it's a bit high up but not untolerable.  I just recently got a A3 and have now moved my aimpoint over to that on a Larue Mount.  

I'd post a pic but don't know how.

I'll be looking to sell my ARMS # 16A soon.

Any questions let me know.

Thanks.
11/9/2008 9:56:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I had an Aimpoint on my carry handle via ARMS #16A for about 3 years.  It's a solid mount and never experienced any loss of zero or any loosening of the mount.
Yes it's a bit high up but not untolerable.  I just recently got a A3 and have now moved my aimpoint over to that on a Larue Mount.  
I'd post a pic but don't know how.
I'll be looking to sell my ARMS # 16A soon.
Any questions let me know.
Thanks.


I might be interested in your ARMS #16A mount for my A1. Where are you in TX?
Clint
11/9/2008 10:16:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Houston
11/10/2008 12:43:40 AM EDT
[#4]
It's not terrible, it'll work, and it has for a lot of people for a long time, before the flat top was a really readily available option.  



A flattop really is the better option, though, if you decide to carry handle mount your optic, you'll either have to deal with a chin weld or a cheek riser, which a) will, IMHO throw off some of the ergonomic advantages, and b) you will not be able to use your charging handle with your stock fully collapsed.  

Another option you may consider is the "gooseneck" type cantilevered mount for the carry handle, hnyah:



if you are determined not to switch to flat top.  Honestly, the only reason any of my rifles stay in carry handle configurations, with or without optics are as clones of one or another version.  For optics use, flattop simply outclasses carry handles in versatility and simplicity, not to mention, nearly anything that can be done with a carry handle can be done with a flattop with the use of a detachable carry handle.  

The only real reason to stick with a fixed carry handle upper is if you're cloning, or if you're determined to stick with irons, but I also understand that many rifles, such as the lovely 6520 come with fixed carry handle uppers, and some are loathe to swap them out, for whatever reason, in which case there are options available.  

HTH,
~Augee
11/10/2008 2:01:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I used that 16A on my issued Colt 727 for a while, no problems with it, it was rock solid and worked well.  Only problem is that it does sit a little high, and that has to be taken into consideration when engaging anything within close distance.  While I was still stuck with the 727 (A2 upper), I ended up swapping it to a LT mount and putting it on my KAC RAS, right above the VFG.  That offered the lower 1/3 co-witness and it allowed me to keep a good cheek-weld.  Super fast, and IMHO the way to go if stuck with an A1 or A2 upper.
11/10/2008 4:22:41 AM EDT
[#6]
YES, many many times. Before the M4 the standard in spec ops was a similar weapon that used a A2 upper, we just called it the car15, the recievers were from vintage M16a1s. Various optics were attatched o the carry handle: aimpoint 5000s, heisholt BLITZ, etc. FYI, even today, a lot of "old-timers" still do this on current M4s as a matter of preference. Also, for those of us who may need to employ the weapon with a protective (gas) mask on for riot agents, etc, it is much easier to see your dot.
11/11/2008 2:38:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
YES, many many times. Before the M4 the standard in spec ops was a similar weapon that used a A2 upper, we just called it the car15, the recievers were from vintage M16a1s. Various optics were attatched o the carry handle: aimpoint 5000s, heisholt BLITZ, etc.

My Colt started out as a CAR-15 SP-1. It now has an M16A1 upper,Bushy 11.5" hvy barrel w/1-7 twist,Noveske flash hider,GGG rails,RediMag,etc. I'll build a flat top before I ever think about converting this one.
Just thought it would be nice to install a modern optic.
11/11/2008 6:15:43 PM EDT
[#8]
This is a ML3 in an ARMS 16A mount.  It works fine for me.  One thing I didn't realize when I bought it, but that I like, is you can use the irons by just looking through the mount.  So switching to irons is effortless.  If you look closely in this picture, you can see the top of the opening that lets you look through the mount.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

AR Sponsor