User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Posted: 12/7/2011 8:32:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lancelot]
EDIT February 2012

I edited the title to reflect that the OP and intent of the thread was to discuss the very specific unit purchase configuration shown below, because of the Aimpoint T1.

Anyone building one of these? I haven't seen any on the interwebs just yet and very limited discussion.

Few mentions of it in the BCM thread. Seems that this was just a unit level purchase that has been ordered in quite a large quantity?

Here is augees response:

AFSOC does a lot of its purchasing in house for non-program parts. They've also been using the Surefire suprpessors for quite a while.

It has to do with budgeting and unit funds - and probably with someone high up's personal preferences. Same with the T1s and Aimpoint magnifiers.

Different units have different cultures regarding the kind of non-program support based on size, component, budget, and mission. Plus the Air Force and AFSOC is long since known for "non-standard" carbines, just look at the wide range of variation in the GUU-5/P series.
View Quote

Specs:

Upper = 14.5 M4 (not shure if socom or Govt)
Hand guard's = Omega 7.0 , KAC Ras ( as well )
Stock's = Vltor FDE club foot's , M4 2nd Gen , Sopmod
Muzzle attachment = Surefire FA556-212 , MB556
Optic's = Aimpoint's T1 & Magnifier , Acog's
Grip = Tango down
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Makes for a sharp looking carbine!
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 8:41:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: smithc6] [#2]

Does blue BCG = simunition?
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 8:50:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By smithc6:

I would imagine the green smoke means that also.  Great looking rifles.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 8:53:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jollyroger1969] [#4]
I had a friend that was a Combat Controller. He told me they were using 416s and switched to LWRCs due to bad customer support.

I thought it was strange they used those, but I had no reason to dispute his veracity, and the Air Force kind of does their own thing anyway.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 8:57:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Not sim, UTM.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 10:15:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Postal0311:

Not sim, UTM.

Is that the new version?

The utm kits we have are black with a blue stripe along and past the thumb detent.

The local PJs have m4a1's  (semi, safe, auto) and besides the above they have a couple guys running EOtechs.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 10:45:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dog_dad] [#7]
Another thing is that their TangoDown forward grips are the ones made for Surefire switches not the Insight ones that are in the SOPMOD kit.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 11:16:03 PM EDT
[#8]
The PJ's have a history of being able to source their own equipment.  My dad was a career PJ and the individual units where at times allowed to purchase their own gear (tents, packs, sunglasses, etc).  For what they do standard off the rack military issue isn't always effective.  I wouldn't think weapons would qualify, but they do qualify as special forces.
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 12:51:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fireman9080] [#9]
Aaaahh shit Matty, are you starting another "recce" myth creature?  Here we go, everybody is gonna get on this bandwagon, and start the builds.  Augee (mad scientist of everything AR) will be along shortly to correct your ass.  LMAO!!!!!  9080

Seriously though, those look pretty cool.  Would love to know more about them.
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 2:17:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: azoutdoorsman] [#10]
I'll go first I guess

M6X on the other side (I'm a lefty).

Link Posted: 12/8/2011 2:37:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By jollyroger1969:
I had a friend that was a Combat Controller. He told me they were using 416s and switched to LWRCs due to bad customer support.

I thought it was strange they used those, but I had no reason to dispute his veracity, and the Air Force kind of does their own thing anyway.

Ive also seen pictures of Combat Controllers using SCARS
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 6:37:50 AM EDT
[#12]
See Avatar.
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#13]
You do know the Air Force often times begs, borrows and steals anything they can get their hands on....
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 2:29:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I have seen alot of PJ's with decked out weapons and others with a plane jane M4.  Just what I have seen.
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 2:47:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 3:28:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By cowboy:
Originally Posted By Friendly_Crusader:

Not sim, UTM.

Is that the new version?

The utm kits we have are black with a blue stripe along and past the thumb detent.

The local PJs have m4a1's  (semi, safe, auto) and besides the above they have a couple guys running EOtechs.

UTMs are usually blue bolts. Sims are usually blue barrels or guns.

Some PJs I got to talk to earlier had decked out, Block 2 M4A1s and CQBRs with Elcans along with 308 Scars and some other fun toys.

This is what ours look like. The one in the other picture Looks
Much different
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 3:51:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Not sim, UTM.

Whats a UTM?
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 3:56:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Scored a FH556-212A today & I'll see it tomorrow ( muwhahaha )

And a local class 3/sot will pin it for $50.00   without having to ship it ( hell yeah )

Now all I need are a rail , vltor stock and tube and a Tango down grip ( Again muwhahahaha )
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 3:56:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 3:57:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 4:41:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By cowboy:

Not sim, UTM.

Whats a UTM?

Its like a sim, but more painful.

So paint filled projectile?
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 4:50:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 4:56:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I see, thanks cowboy..

We've had our kits for 6 years or so. FWIW
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 4:57:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Not sim, UTM.

Whats a UTM?

Link Posted: 12/8/2011 6:50:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By VentanaRider:
The PJ's have a history of being able to source their own equipment.  My dad was a career PJ and the individual units where at times allowed to purchase their own gear (tents, packs, sunglasses, etc).  For what they do standard off the rack military issue isn't always effective.  I wouldn't think weapons would qualify, but they do qualify as special forces.

I guess you mean special operations.  SF is Army only.
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 10:07:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By VentanaRider:

As is th case with any SpecOps unit.
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 10:35:29 AM EDT
[#28]
They're probably man-for-man, the fittest organization on the planet.  I'm sure they could give most of the Crossfit Games contestants a run for their money in normal daily activities.
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By TrackSol:
You do know the Air Force often times begs, borrows and steals anything they can get their hands on....

And sometimes they get ridiculous amounts of expensive and specialized crap, even just for towerguard duty.  

AFSOC has some of the most interesting variation in their weapons - how much of this is related to the fact that they "play with others" a lot is hard to say - but I've seen them with a lot of different types of equipment.

I think there's a lot of variety as to what individual STSs (Special Tactics Squadrons) choose to equip with.  The other thing to consider is budget - in general, the Air Force tends to play with bigger ticket items - so they have relatively bigger budgets per man, and AFSOC is a pretty small component.  

NSW doesn't really have to go outside of Crane too much, since the Navy "owns" Crane - what NSW wants, they can just ask for through NSWC-Crane, and it becomes "standard" for SOF.  NSW is also pretty small compared to the rest of the Navy.

The Army has the largest SOF components - plus it has to split their SOF budgets between 75th INF and the Groups, meaning they have to be a lot more frugal about expenditure per soldier, unit funds are tighter, and units are encouraged to "order out of the catalog" (SOPMOD items) as much as possible.  

As for the MSOBs, well, not only are they small, but the Marines are always digging for money, no matter who you are.  

That being said - I've seen a lot of Surefire suppressors and muzzle devices used on various AFSOC M4A1s.  

I think the DD Omega 7.0s have been pretty limited to that one unit (forget which those photos are attributed to).  Furthermore, that particular unit seems to issue:

Tango Down BVG-46 (Surefire pocket) and Battle Grips in FDE, as well as FDE Vltor Clubfoots.  

Someone there is probably an ARFCOMer, too - because optics are T1s and M2/3s in LaRue mounts with Aimpoint 3x magnifiers and twist mounts.  

They seem to be running M600C Scout lights, too.  

I've also seen various AFSOC / STS folks running M68CCOs (Aimpoint CompM4), as well as EOTech 552s.  Their carbines I've seen doument range from indistinguishable from other componets' weapons to "M4A1s" that were actually XM177 lowers with two position vinyl acetate stocks running RX01NSN Reflex sights, to HK416s, and beyond.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 3:47:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Couple more pics...

[img]
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 4:35:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 10:41:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Anyone know if these rifles are using the SOCOM profile M4 barrel (M4A1), or the standard gov. profile M4 barrel?
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 11:20:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Oh look what I got today from the EE and a steal if I say so myself.

Oh I cant wait for monday to send it down the road from work to get pinned.

Anybody see any older VLTOR FDE stock's for sale anywhere?
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 11:25:20 PM EDT
[#35]

Not sim, UTM.

I fucking HATE utms. But blue marks sim guns as well.
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 11:29:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By FAB-10_Guy:
Anyone know if these rifles are using the SOCOM profile M4 barrel (M4A1), or the standard gov. profile M4 barrel?

SOCOM.
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 11:44:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Dan_Gray:

Not sim, UTM.

Why do you hate UTMs? It's the most stable and reliable training marking ammo I've ever used.
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 11:47:37 PM EDT
[#38]

Not sim, UTM.

Why do you hate UTMs? It's the most stable and reliable training marking ammo I've ever used.

I've dug too many out of my skin. The new Speer round is far better and more reliable.
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 12:31:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Mask, goggles, bdu top/bottom and gloves saves you from that

Interesting.. Looks like updated FX ammo.

Link Posted: 12/10/2011 1:00:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Mask, goggles, bdu top/bottom and gloves saves you from that

Interesting.. Looks like updated FX ammo.

I wear about 7 layers if the students are shooting UTMs
Last time I was out, for a couple of evolutions, I wore nothing but an underarmor tshirt a few times to piss off some other students.

the speer rounds are 100 times better than any other training round I've ever used. I've fired probably 2k rounds of them, and have yet to have one malfunction. With sim fx, it was hard to make it through one run without em fucking up.
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 10:00:13 PM EDT
[#41]
btt
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 11:41:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By sgwlower:
Originally Posted By AstraPat:

I'm looking it to making a "clone" of one of these.  The nice thing is that they are affordable to build and have a wide variety of what can be used on them.  It would be nice to get a set of specs on one to start off with.  The pics that you guys have posted have helped quite a bit.

So far I have:

BCM 16" upper
Daniel Defense Omega 7
Aimpoint
Spikes or CMMG lower still not sure which one I want to use.

Still need:
SOPMOD or IMOD stock
Surefire light
Tango Down VFG

Personal touches for my own piece of mind.
Spikes NiB BCG
BCM Gunfighter CH

I'll post pics a little later.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 12:10:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TrackSol] [#43]
Originally Posted By Augee:

And sometimes they get ridiculous amounts of expensive and specialized crap, even just for towerguard duty.  

AFSOC has some of the most interesting variation in their weapons - how much of this is related to the fact that they "play with others" a lot is hard to say - but I've seen them with a lot of different types of equipment.

I think there's a lot of variety as to what individual STSs (Special Tactics Squadrons) choose to equip with.  The other thing to consider is budget - in general, the Air Force tends to play with bigger ticket items - so they have relatively bigger budgets per man, and AFSOC is a pretty small component.  

NSW doesn't really have to go outside of Crane too much, since the Navy "owns" Crane - what NSW wants, they can just ask for through NSWC-Crane, and it becomes "standard" for SOF.  NSW is also pretty small compared to the rest of the Navy.

The Army has the largest SOF components - plus it has to split their SOF budgets between 75th INF and the Groups, meaning they have to be a lot more frugal about expenditure per soldier, unit funds are tighter, and units are encouraged to "order out of the catalog" (SOPMOD items) as much as possible.  

As for the MSOBs, well, not only are they small, but the Marines are always digging for money, no matter who you are.  

That being said - I've seen a lot of Surefire suppressors and muzzle devices used on various AFSOC M4A1s.  

I think the DD Omega 7.0s have been pretty limited to that one unit (forget which those photos are attributed to).  Furthermore, that particular unit seems to issue:

Tango Down BVG-46 (Surefire pocket) and Battle Grips in FDE, as well as FDE Vltor Clubfoots.  

Someone there is probably an ARFCOMer, too - because optics are T1s and M2/3s in LaRue mounts with Aimpoint 3x magnifiers and twist mounts.  

I've also seen various AFSOC / STS folks running M68CCOs (Aimpoint CompM4), as well as EOTech 552s.  Their carbines I've seen doument range from indistinguishable from other componets' weapons to "M4A1s" that were actually XM177 lowers with two position vinyl acetate stocks running RX01NSN Reflex sights, to HK416s, and beyond.  

~Augee

True enough. I hadn't considered AFSOC, so while the rest of the USAF begs, borrows and steals, AFSOC is "special". I actually have to problem with that due to the nature of their jobs.

Because their equipment varies so much and there is no "standard", don't you guys think the idea of building a AFSOC / PJ carbine sounds preposterous? Their rifles look like any arfcomer's rifle on any given sunday anyway.
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 12:19:47 AM EDT
[#44]

~Augee

True enough. I hadn't considered AFSOC, so while the rest of the USAF begs, borrows and steals, AFSOC is "special". I actually have to problem with that due to the nature of their jobs.

Because their equipment varies so much and there is no "standard", don't you guys think the idea of building a AFSOC / PJ carbine sounds preposterous? Their rifles look like any arfcomer's rifle on any given sunday anyway.

not really, from those pics, the only real variable is the stocks and optics

DD omega 7.0
SF FH
M951
TD VFG

all taht stuff is pretty much the same
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 12:32:27 AM EDT
[#45]

~Augee

I hope what I'm about to say is on topic.

As a side note, one of my cousins was stationed at Aviano AB in the Security Forces a few years back (in the 2005-2007 timeframe), and she called me to tell me all about their new M4's. It's difficult to remember (and I was less into ARs back then), but as I recall, besides being brand new M4s, they had Aimpoints (M2, I believe), M4 RAS, and, as needed, standard length M203. She said it was all brand new as opposed to the reworked M16s she used at Minot.
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#46]

on the left

on the bottom

I'm only about half way done with it but I want to keep this thread going.  This is the first gun I've ever put together that's even close to a clone.

Specs:
BCM 16" upper
DD Omega 7
Off brand vertical grip for now
Spikes NiB BCG
BCM Gunfighter Mod 4
Aimpoint ML 3, also have an EOtech I can use
CMMG Lower w/ Standard M4 Stock

Hopefully finish it after Christmas.  Still need a:
EMOD/IMOD stock
Tango Down grip
Sure fire light.

Sighting it in tomorrow morning though as long as the wind is decent.
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 8:09:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Alot of these pics appear to show SOCOM Block II M4A1's, with some intermediate 1.5's in there.  I don't have as keen an eye as some for gear, but I've paid a lot of attention to the M4A1 thread in here.
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 11:19:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dan_Gray] [#48]

That's a major issue with Mk18s, CQBRs, and others as well. I've seen to many up close to believe that there is a  universal standard. Maybe a set intention, but they're not like A2s, getting cranked out by the thousands, all good little twins of one another. The weapons are still very much a victim of "hey, we're out of X, guess we have to use Y" And that's not taking into account what a unit level armorer does sometimes.
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 11:24:23 AM EDT
[#49]

That's a major issue with Mk18s, CQBRs, and others as well. I've seen to many up close to believe that there is a  universal standard. Maybe a set intention, but they're not like A2s, getting cranked out by the thousands, all good little twins of one another. The weapons are still very much a victim of "hey, we're out of X, guess we have to use Y" And that's not taking into account what a unit level armorer does sometimes.

There isn't a "standard" once it gets into the operators hand. There is however a "standard configuration" as it comes from the armorer or from crane.

Building clones means building a rifle AS ISSUED without the addition of "personal touches".
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 11:32:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By AMMOTECH:
Couple more pics...

http://www.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/111021-F-FF603-161.jpg
[url=http://

PAC-4C?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top