AR Sponsor
[ARCHIVED THREAD] - 300 HAMR? Good, bad, or ...? (Page 1 of 2)
Posted: 9/15/2021 12:34:46 PM EDT
|
First, I'm not feeling the "love" for a 300 Blackout, 6.8SPC, or 350 Legend. A 6.8SPC based 30HRT (Herrett) or its derivatives isn't a viable option for me as I don't like the magazine options I have. I want something that stacks properly in an AR-15 magazine based on a .223/5.56 case that isn't a true 'wildcat' like the many alternatives. My DESIREMENT is effectiveness on feral hogs and various dogs inside 200 yards with more 'payload' for cleanly taking a hog out if shot placement is less than ideal. Is the 300HAMR a good caliber choice for this role? If not, what 5.56 based alternative do you recommend? TIA, Sid |
|
Quoted: First, I'm not feeling the "love" for a 300 Blackout, 6.8SPC, or 350 Legend. A 6.8SPC based 30HRT (Herrett) or its derivatives isn't a viable option for me as I don't like the magazine options I have. I want something that stacks properly in an AR-15 magazine based on a .223/5.56 case that isn't a true 'wildcat' like the many alternatives. My DESIREMENT is effectiveness on feral hogs and various dogs inside 200 yards with more 'payload' for cleanly taking a hog out if shot placement is less than ideal. Is the 300HAMR a good caliber choice for this role? If not, what 5.56 based alternative do you recommend? TIA, Sid If you don’t like what you read about the 300 Hamr, consider the 25-45 Sharps also known as 6.35x45 (5.56 necked up to .257) ![]() Failed To Load Title In the 2nd video, shooting starts around 2:00 mark. ![]() Sharps 25 45 vs Swine |
| I wouldn't do a 25-45 sharps again in an ar, really only made to shoot 90 grain or less bullets. The ocelot looks intriguing as does the 257 raptor, which will allow you to shoot any bullet you want. The only draw back to the later two are dies and the realization that you will spend a lot of time trimming cases. |
|
Quoted: I wouldn't do a 25-45 sharps again in an ar, really only made to shoot 90 grain or less bullets. The ocelot looks intriguing as does the 257 raptor, which will allow you to shoot any bullet you want. The only draw back to the later two are dies and the realization that you will spend a lot of time trimming cases. Yep, the 25-45 Sharps was one I briefly looked at while thinking about the 257 Ocelot. For the reasons mentioned on the 7mm Raptor page, I realized real quick it was not a good choice for me even with its slick advertising campaign. The 7mm Raptor is the one I was debating against the 300 HAMR. Factory brass and ammunition is giving the nod to the 300 HAMR right now. Now the 257 Ocelot versus 257 Raptor is one I need to consider. Previously I was pretty much set on the 257 Ocelot but, the gentleman behind the Raptor series has huge respect from me so, I would likely swap to that quarterbore once the COVID impacts around me are reduced. If I wasn't concerned with brass prep and brass loss in the field (high grass generally), the Raptors and/or Ocelot would be a much easier option for me to choose today. |
|
Quoted: Yep, the 25-45 Sharps was one I briefly looked at while thinking about the 257 Ocelot. For the reasons mentioned on the 7mm Raptor page, I realized real quick it was not a good choice for me even with its slick advertising campaign. The 7mm Raptor is the one I was debating against the 300 HAMR. Factory brass and ammunition is giving the nod to the 300 HAMR right now. Now the 257 Ocelot versus 257 Raptor is one I need to consider. Previously I was pretty much set on the 257 Ocelot but, the gentleman behind the Raptor series has huge respect from me so, I would likely swap to that quarterbore once the COVID impacts around me are reduced. If I wasn't concerned with brass prep and brass loss in the field (high grass generally), the Raptors and/or Ocelot would be a much easier option for me to choose today. Quoted: Quoted: I wouldn't do a 25-45 sharps again in an ar, really only made to shoot 90 grain or less bullets. The ocelot looks intriguing as does the 257 raptor, which will allow you to shoot any bullet you want. The only draw back to the later two are dies and the realization that you will spend a lot of time trimming cases. Yep, the 25-45 Sharps was one I briefly looked at while thinking about the 257 Ocelot. For the reasons mentioned on the 7mm Raptor page, I realized real quick it was not a good choice for me even with its slick advertising campaign. The 7mm Raptor is the one I was debating against the 300 HAMR. Factory brass and ammunition is giving the nod to the 300 HAMR right now. Now the 257 Ocelot versus 257 Raptor is one I need to consider. Previously I was pretty much set on the 257 Ocelot but, the gentleman behind the Raptor series has huge respect from me so, I would likely swap to that quarterbore once the COVID impacts around me are reduced. If I wasn't concerned with brass prep and brass loss in the field (high grass generally), the Raptors and/or Ocelot would be a much easier option for me to choose today. https://brassgoat.com/ Good to know that heavier than 100 gr bullets are a no go in .25-45. |
|
At first I started with the 25/223 and I can say nothing but good about the experience. It was one of the most accurate rifles I ever owned. Then Wilson Combat came out with their 7.62x40WT and I was sold. The .30 with a 125 gr. bullet was exactly what I was looking for. I had tried three different 300 Blackouts/Whispers but could never get one to give me the accuracy I was looking for. Then WC brought out the 300 HAM'R and it edged out the 7.62x40. In my eyes, the 300 HAM'R could have been named the 7.62x40 Mag. I still have a 25/223 and a 7.62x40WT, but it is the 300 HAM'R I use more than anything else. The typical "this is better than that" threads aren't worth reading. All I can say is I'm happy with the 300 HAM'R. |
|
Quoted: I still have a 25/223 and a 7.62x40WT, but it is the 300 HAM'R I use more than anything else. The typical "this is better than that" threads aren't worth reading. All I can say is I'm happy with the 300 HAM'R. That is a pretty strong argument for the 30 HAMR. |
|
Quoted: At first I started with the 25/223 and I can say nothing but good about the experience. It was one of the most accurate rifles I ever owned. Then Wilson Combat came out with their 7.62x40WT and I was sold. The .30 with a 125 gr. bullet was exactly what I was looking for. I had tried three different 300 Blackouts/Whispers but could never get one to give me the accuracy I was looking for. Then WC brought out the 300 HAM'R and it edged out the 7.62x40. In my eyes, the 300 HAM'R could have been named the 7.62x40 Mag. I still have a 25/223 and a 7.62x40WT, but it is the 300 HAM'R I use more than anything else. The typical "this is better than that" threads aren't worth reading. All I can say is I'm happy with the 300 HAM'R. Is it easy to download to subsonic? |
|
Like Graycard I also started wildcatting from the old 25-223. I got into many AR wildcats, and along the way, the conclusion I came to is that there is so much overlap between them, that the only differences are really for the geek aspect in me. True field application/use, any difference is 95% moot. The nuances between them was just justification to explore a fun hobby and after 12 years and countless thousands of dollars, for my hunting use, a 12.5” 6.8 with ARP barrel and my handloads will do everything I need… and factory Ammo is available in a pinch. That said, from a logistics standpoint, if you really want a 223 based wildcat, nothing wrong with the 300 HAM’r. It makes a lot of sense from that perspective… as do other 223 based cats. The 358 yeti project was the funnest and actually opens a difference performance spectrum for the AR15 platform. However, my rifle ended up the same weight basically as my light weight AR308, so what does it really do for me?? Nothing besides being cool and fun. I sold it. Wildcatting is a hobby in and of itself and has to be enjoyable and that’s really the reason for it. Ballistically AR15 wildcats are so close to factory cartridges available now, I don’t see an objective point to it unless it is the above. I consider the HAM’r a wildcat even though Wilson sells Ammo for it. So if you want to handload using common 223 brass and 30 cal projectiles, go for it, it fills that niche as good as it can get. |
|
Is it easy to download to subsonic? I have never even tried to load sub-sonic. I'm sure it can be done but the cartridge was designed for super-sonic performance. It is a SAAMI approved cartridge so it isn't a pure wildcat anymore. Wilson Combat has ammo and SIG list it even though they have only put it out in limited amounts. If is wasn't for all the madness going on with ammo I would have expected to see more companies offering it. I do know Shaw is also a barrel supplier even though I have never seen a need not to use a Wilson Combat barrel. Chewbacca's post had a lot of wisdom mixed in. There is a lot of overlap in AR-15 cartridges. But if you want something other than 5.56, the 300 HAM'R is easy to get into. Change a barrel and go! Cases are available from Wilson Combat, SIG and Starline. Plus, as noted, it is easy to form brass from 5.56. There are 30-plus bullets suitable for the HAM'R ranging from 90 gr. to 150 grains. As Chewbacca brought up, there are other choices other than the 5.56 in an AR-15. |
|
There's definitely something to be said for wildcats, it's fun, it's different, if not expensive. But, as mentioned, at this point there really isn't a cartridge for the AR that doesn't have an overlap with stuff already out there. It's really getting to the point that "new" cartridges, in order to set themselves apart, have to focus on a more task specific regime of performance. The AR is limited in cartridge OAL and diameter, so there's only so many combinations of caliber and bullet that can be used. 300 Blackout was/is popular because it can satisfy a large range of performance, everything from subsonic to supersonic with it's ability to shoot lightweight (110 grain) through heavies (220+ grains), but across the board, it is arguably, a compromise. In the supersonic realm, there are other cartridges that easily out perform it, the same for subsonic, but it's appeal is that broad scope of usability. As the saying goes, a jack of all trades, but master of none. 300 HAMR, even though it's not a wildcat, is what I call a "boutique" cartridge. Wilson Combat has been around a long time making high-end stuff, and having their own cartridge is common for bigger outfits. Alexander Arms, for example, came out with their 50 Beowulf, etc. Not a wildcat, but certainly niche and more expensive than ubiquitous mainstream stuff to shoot. I actually have a wildcat drawn up that I'd love to have made that is strictly a subsonic cartridge for suppressed pistol length AR's, but the costs involved are prohibitive for me. Maybe one day. If you want something different because you want something different, then go for it. Nothing wrong with that at all if you don't mind the extra cost involved. |
|
Out of the various AR cartridges, the 6 ARC is near the top of the list for energy at distance. It surpasses the 6.5 Grendel starting at about 300 yards. 300 HAM'R at the muzzle is on par with the 6.5 Grendel, but since it trades shorter bullets for case length and capacity, it loses out to the likes of Grendel and 6 ARC, at longer ranges, dropping below 800 ft-lbs of energy at just 300 yards. If your goal is 200 yards or less, the Grendel is still hard to beat, bested in energy by only the 30 AR cartridge. At 100 yards or less, then the big fat boys (50 Beowulf, 450 Bushmaster, etc) start shining. |
|
Quoted: There's definitely something to be said for wildcats, it's fun, it's different, if not expensive. But, as mentioned, at this point there really isn't a cartridge for the AR that doesn't have an overlap with stuff already out there. It's really getting to the point that "new" cartridges, in order to set themselves apart, have to focus on a more task specific regime of performance. The AR is limited in cartridge OAL and diameter, so there's only so many combinations of caliber and bullet that can be used. 300 Blackout was/is popular because it can satisfy a large range of performance, everything from subsonic to supersonic with it's ability to shoot lightweight (110 grain) through heavies (220+ grains), but across the board, it is arguably, a compromise. In the supersonic realm, there are other cartridges that easily out perform it, the same for subsonic, but it's appeal is that broad scope of usability. As the saying goes, a jack of all trades, but master of none. 300 HAMR, even though it's not a wildcat, is what I call a "boutique" cartridge. Wilson Combat has been around a long time making high-end stuff, and having their own cartridge is common for bigger outfits. Alexander Arms, for example, came out with their 50 Beowulf, etc. Not a wildcat, but certainly niche and more expensive than ubiquitous mainstream stuff to shoot. I actually have a wildcat drawn up that I'd love to have made that is strictly a subsonic cartridge for suppressed pistol length AR's, but the costs involved are prohibitive for me. Maybe one day. If you want something different because you want something different, then go for it. Nothing wrong with that at all if you don't mind the extra cost involved. I’d think that deep setting some BIG cast bullets like 230 or 245 gr with low powder volumes could make it work, but I’m still a newb as far as reloading. I’m basically clueless as far as wildcatting goes. |
|
Quoted: I’d think that deep setting some BIG cast bullets like 230 or 245 gr with low powder volumes could make it work, but I’m still a newb as far as reloading. I’m basically clueless as far as wildcatting goes. I'm not a reloader (yet), but I think the twist rate is also too low. Would there be chamber issues as well? Recommended bullet weight is 110gr to 150gr. I don't think I've heard or read anything bad about 300hamr...just a lot of competition in the space it is trying to carve out. |
|
Quoted: I’d think that deep setting some BIG cast bullets like 230 or 245 gr with low powder volumes could make it work, but I’m still a newb as far as reloading. I’m basically clueless as far as wildcatting goes. I'd think that might place the ogive of the bullet in the neck of the HAM'r case which wouldn't be good. Why re-invent the wheel? If you want to run sub's, get the BLK. If you never plan to run sub's, get the HAM'r. |
|
If you want to go subs with more oomph, go 350 Legend. Maker Bullets sells a 280 grainer that expands well at subsonic speeds. Being a long straight wall case, it is efficient and does well in pistol lengths. The only issue is twist. If you want to shoot the big 280 grainers, you need a 1:10 twist. Most 350 Legend barrels are 1:16. And like the 300 Blk, you can go to the other end. 90 grain LeHigh Defense Xtreme Defense solid coppers at 3,000+ FPS. 280 grain subs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l63FYUNiQic 90 grainers at 3,033 FPS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlhHwLECr24 If you really want to thump something with suppressed subs, LeHigh Defense make a 570 grain wicked all copper "Controlled Fracturing" hollow point that is being loaded in 458 SOCOM. Folds deer like a plastic bag. I imagine it would be good on hogs too. The only issue is that the round is a tad too long for the AR, 2.63", dunno of there is enough room to seat the bullet deep enough to make AR COAL or not. But, it's still pretty wicked, and it is being used at 450+ yards on them with good effect too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu8_0Y2IGF8 Same guy has another video where it he shoots steel with it at 1,000 yards. That big, long heavy bullet just holds velocity forever. It wallops 'yotes too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BHxbFTk0u8 |
|
Had to create a new profile, hadn't been here in a while, since before the "hotmail bad" hammer dropped. Thinking about a 300 HAM'R barrel as my next set for the takedown ar. I assembled 5.56, 300 blackout, and 6.8 spc front ends for my Dolos upper. My first full ar was a 5.56 16" carbine, then a 300 blackout 16" carbine. Same bcg and mags have my attention. Might go subsonic only with the 300 blackout and get a suppressor. Supersonic 300 blackout kinda defeats the "let's be quiet with a suppressor" concept anyway. I have reloading gear and the squirrel daddy/harbor freight cutoff saw and was planning on making my own brass. This sounds like more fun. I've had the Wilson 16" 1:13 barrel in the shopping cart a few times in the last week... More ammo for everything else or another Pantheon Arms handguard kit and a 300 HAM'R barrel? |
|
Quoted: Maybe, but doubt it drops it to the ogive of the 245s. They're really long. https://i.imgur.com/wzm0Ult.jpg Jeeeeeeez, Hamr is a .26 longer case, so the case mouth would be hanging out way beyond the point where the 300 case mouth sits on the cast bullet. Probably wouldn't feed properly. Quoted: Maybe, but doubt it drops it to the ogive of the 245s. They're really long. https://i.imgur.com/wzm0Ult.jpg Jeeeeeeez, Hamr is a .26 longer case, so the case mouth would be hanging out way beyond the point where the 300 case mouth sits on the cast bullet. Probably wouldn't feed properly. If you want to run heavy subsonic, the 300 HAM'R is a bad choice IMHO. The 300BO has barrel twist rates to support this and a case that works better with longer subsonic options. 600gr 458 Socom subsonics will take things to another level if that's where you want to go. Quoted: As to "why"? I say "why not"? I'm looking at adding a 6.8/6.5/6mm ARC and I'm currently leaning toward 6.8 simply because there is a company that makes 6.8 barrels and projectiles for subs ETA: I've deviated from OP's purpose in this thread. Can you get a 6.8SPC to run subs? Sure, but why? Simply put, there are much better options. A 22LR will run subsonic but, a 45gr payload doesn't hit very hard. 220~240gr loads from a 300BO are better but, 600gr options from a 458 Socom will put more oomph on target. I don't get taking a cartridge meant for supersonic use and then trying to reverse engineer it to a subsonic option. In the end, you end up with a poor subsonic cartridge when any of the commonly available subsonic options are simply better and a whole load cheaper. Does anyone remember subsonic 308 Winchester? ![]() Quoted: YES. 300 Hamr with 125-150 gr projectiles will absolutely hammer hogs up to 400 or so yards. 300 HAM'R 16.25" Barrel Sierra 110gr HP 2600FPS MV, 1651FP ME Sierra 125gr SBT 2520FPS MV, 1763FP ME Sierra 135gr HP Varminter 2400FPS MV, 1727FP ME Hornady 150gr SST 2290FPS MV, 1747FP ME 300 BLACKOUT 16.25" Barrel Hornady Black 110gr V-MAX 2395FPS MV, 1401FP ME Hornady 125gr HP American Gunner 2175FPS MV, 1313FP ME Hornady 135gr FTX 2055FPS MV, 1266FP ME Federal 150gr Fusion 1900FPS MV, 1202FP ME Yes, 300BO versus 300 HAM'R isn't dramatic on paper or from the keyboard. The case itself has advantages that matter to people who are looking for more dedicated supersonic use. Then there is the issue of barrel twist rates. I don't subscribe to "overtwist" being catastrophic but, a 1x7 or similar barrel isn't a good choice for faster longer hunting bullets in the more traditional hunting velocities. [rant]Boutique cartridges are proliferating beyond all reason. Many seem to be either poorly thought out or I have totally missed what they are trying to achieve. Many are a passing fad and are hyped by 'shills' to drive advertising revenue. YMMV![/rant] |
|
The Ham'r intrigues me because I'm a BIG FAN of .30 WCF along with 7.62x39mm as hunting cartridges. I sold all my 7.62x39mm AKs but I still have my Tula SKS and my kick ass CZ 527M plus my pile of Lever Actions in .30 WCF. I'd like to build s hunting AR that is a proper .30 Caliber Cartridge that can replicate the .30 WCF and I'd like it to be in a C7 configuration. ![]() But honestly, the cartridge does interest me and I'd like to build a lightweight hunting rifle in it. |
|
The HAMR to me is a solution in search of a problem. Outside of a couple very specific niches I don't see what the HAMR or 300 BO for that matter accomplish. The Wilson page touts the HAMR as having similar characteristics of a 30-30. Thats not a selling point for me, it's a hindrance. But shoot what makes you happy. I got into grendels before you could get really any commercially available components or ammo outside of AA's website. And at the time the 6.8 vs 6.5 war was fierce and looking like 6.5 was going to lose. So if you think it fits your niche, by all means have at it. |
|
Quoted: The HAMR to me is a solution in search of a problem. Outside of a couple very specific niches I don't see what the HAMR or 300 BO for that matter accomplish. The Wilson page touts the HAMR as having similar characteristics of a 30-30. Thats not a selling point for me, it's a hindrance. But shoot what makes you happy. I got into grendels before you could get really any commercially available components or ammo outside of AA's website. And at the time the 6.8 vs 6.5 war was fierce and looking like 6.5 was going to lose. So if you think it fits your niche, by all means have at it. |
|
Quoted: The reason I went with it over the 6.8 or 6.5 was the use of standard AR bolts, and easy find working magazines. |
|
Quoted: I like .30 WCF and I don't need it to be a rifle to reach out at 800 yards. That's what is appealing to me. How are mags for it and can it use a 5.56 mag in a pinch? So it uses run of the mill 5.56 AR bolts? Quoted: Quoted: The reason I went with it over the 6.8 or 6.5 was the use of standard AR bolts, and easy find working magazines. The brass is made from 5.56 brass so standard bolts. 300 Blackout specific mags work best. I have used Magpul and Lancer with no issues. |
|
Quoted: The reason I went with it over the 6.8 or 6.5 was the use of standard AR bolts, and easy find working magazines. I get that. So why not 300 BO with commercially available ammo, components, support, etc? I'm not knocking you. It's just I don't see what the HAMR does more than very marginally better than the 300 BO to warrant picking it over the caliber that has 500 vendors selling barrels. Disclaimer: I'm not a 300 BO fan either. The HAMR is probably what the BO should have been from the start. |
|
Quoted: The HAMR to me is a solution in search of a problem. Outside of a couple very specific niches I don't see what the HAMR or 300 BO for that matter accomplish. The Wilson page touts the HAMR as having similar characteristics of a 30-30. Thats not a selling point for me, it's a hindrance. But shoot what makes you happy. I got into grendels before you could get really any commercially available components or ammo outside of AA's website. And at the time the 6.8 vs 6.5 war was fierce and looking like 6.5 was going to lose. So if you think it fits your niche, by all means have at it. A 30 CAL intermediate rifle round out of small frame AR. |
|
Quoted: I get that. So why not 300 BO with commercially available ammo, components, support, etc? I'm not knocking you. It's just I don't see what the HAMR does more than very marginally better than the 300 BO to warrant picking it over the caliber that has 500 vendors selling barrels. Disclaimer: I'm not a 300 BO fan either. The HAMR is probably what the BO should have been from the start. Quoted: Quoted: The reason I went with it over the 6.8 or 6.5 was the use of standard AR bolts, and easy find working magazines. I get that. So why not 300 BO with commercially available ammo, components, support, etc? I'm not knocking you. It's just I don't see what the HAMR does more than very marginally better than the 300 BO to warrant picking it over the caliber that has 500 vendors selling barrels. Disclaimer: I'm not a 300 BO fan either. The HAMR is probably what the BO should have been from the start. Significantly improved Muzzle Energy over the 300BO (around 1/3 improvement). I own 2 different 300 BO rifles and another upper, and I also handload for it. |
|
Quoted: I get that. So why not 300 BO with commercially available ammo, components, support, etc? I'm not knocking you. It's just I don't see what the HAMR does more than very marginally better than the 300 BO to warrant picking it over the caliber that has 500 vendors selling barrels. Disclaimer: I'm not a 300 BO fan either. The HAMR is probably what the BO should have been from the start. Quoted: Quoted: The reason I went with it over the 6.8 or 6.5 was the use of standard AR bolts, and easy find working magazines. I get that. So why not 300 BO with commercially available ammo, components, support, etc? I'm not knocking you. It's just I don't see what the HAMR does more than very marginally better than the 300 BO to warrant picking it over the caliber that has 500 vendors selling barrels. Disclaimer: I'm not a 300 BO fan either. The HAMR is probably what the BO should have been from the start. I didn't need 500 vendor selections when WC makes a great barrel. I reload, the cases are easy to form and Starline makes brass. |
|
Quoted: I get that. So why not 300 BO with commercially available ammo, components, support, etc? I'm not knocking you. It's just I don't see what the HAMR does more than very marginally better than the 300 BO to warrant picking it over the caliber that has 500 vendors selling barrels. Disclaimer: I'm not a 300 BO fan either. The HAMR is probably what the BO should have been from the start. I'm a total BO fanboi....but I think the run in different circles. HAM'R is a better hunting caliber. Slower twist rate and a chamber that is made for a narrower range of weights allows for better accuracy. More case capacity allows for higher velocity, especially when pushing heavier bullets (even more so when barrel length increases). BUT...it is really blasty out of short barrels, and can't do subs. I think its biggest competition in the AR platform is 6.8, but for some reason, it is always compared to .300blk. |
|
Quoted: I'm a total BO fanboi....but I think the run in different circles. HAM'R is a better hunting caliber. Slower twist rate and a chamber that is made for a narrower range of weights allows for better accuracy. More case capacity allows for higher velocity, especially when pushing heavier bullets (even more so when barrel length increases). BUT...it is really blasty out of short barrels, and can't do subs. I think its biggest competition in the AR platform is 6.8, but for some reason, it is always compared to .300blk. Quoted: Quoted: I get that. So why not 300 BO with commercially available ammo, components, support, etc? I'm not knocking you. It's just I don't see what the HAMR does more than very marginally better than the 300 BO to warrant picking it over the caliber that has 500 vendors selling barrels. Disclaimer: I'm not a 300 BO fan either. The HAMR is probably what the BO should have been from the start. I'm a total BO fanboi....but I think the run in different circles. HAM'R is a better hunting caliber. Slower twist rate and a chamber that is made for a narrower range of weights allows for better accuracy. More case capacity allows for higher velocity, especially when pushing heavier bullets (even more so when barrel length increases). BUT...it is really blasty out of short barrels, and can't do subs. I think its biggest competition in the AR platform is 6.8, but for some reason, it is always compared to .300blk. This is a good summary. 6.8 and 6.5 suck because of proprietary bolts and magazines. They are a non starter for me. 300 Hamr is the boss inside of 300 yards which covers the VAST majority of the actual shooting/hunting that most people do, especially east of the Mississippi. Blackout is for ninja shit or fighting 2 legged critters. |
|
If you trim back about .030" as is done with 25-223, you can go up to 110 gr, probably 115gr depending on overall bullet length and ogive shape. |
|
"I agree. But, even in a shortie, the ham'r will outperform the blk by a good margin." That's not what I'd seen when Bill Wilson posted these 8" numbers: 110 HP High 2251 FPS Low 2213 FPS Aver. 2238 FPS E.S. 38 FPS S.D. 15.5 125 PH High 2231 FPS Low 2193 FPS Aver. 2204 FPS E.S. 38 FPS S.D. 15.3 125 TNT High 2173 FPS Low 2161 FPS Aver. 2168 FPS E.S. 12 FPS S.D. 4.2 I don't shoot 125's, but my Chrono says my 8.5" 300BLK 110gr Barnes load with 20.2grs of H110/W296 goes 2200fps. Above 125gr bullet weights maybe the difference becomes more noticeable? |
[ARCHIVED THREAD] - 300 HAMR? Good, bad, or ...? (Page 1 of 2)
AR Sponsor




