Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
.45 ACP Conversion Guide (Page 20 of 22)
Page / 22
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 6:51:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 6:52:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mad-Machinist] [#2]
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had my .45 DI kit for a few weeks now. It's awesome! Got a few go fast parts I'm working with which is requiring some additional work to keep it reliable. But so far it's been great. I'll have pics and a write up in a few weeks. I have a carbine match at the end of the month I'm itching to take this to.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:23:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mad-Machinist:

Yes......CNC requires no modification to the magazine. Blowback, colt pattern is a no go with GG mags.....Olympic is the blowback you'd have to run....not sure if still available as they closed.
Di would be best....I cant imagine it being any tougher on a lightening link than a 5.56.
DI is giggle inducing on a full auto lower....
Let me know if I can be of assistance.
Rudy
View Quote
Thanks for the info Rudy.  A friend who broke his RLL with a FM-9 said that the blowback causes more stress on links.  Would your DI45 work with the CNC, and do you offer a di builders kit?
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:50:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#6]
So many options now!!!!  I must be old!!!!

Choices, choices.... Grease gun mag well or Glock 21 magwell..... I have GG mags since I have a CAV15 w/ Oly upper.  Yet, I also have Glock 21 mags..... (and want a 10mm DI upper...so the Glock is tempting...)

Yet I have an old shelved 7.62 Tok project.... have a magwell adapter I got from someone here YEARS ago using unmodifed PPSh43 (?) mags (curved with a rib on the back).....  It was way back when people were having the debate blow back Tok vs gas Tok....  really need to finish that (aka get a Tok upper)

I just retired my regular 9mm Colt style adapter and got a dedicated mag well.  Always had issues with the adapter and mags (this was before the sunset of the 1994 ban in 2004)....  Walked in to a store, saw the dedicated 9mm AR Colt type mag was on sale (much cheaper then buying online, shipping, transfer fee and "use"-aka sales tax).  From what I see, most are going to a Glock type AR lower... which I might do for my 357 Sig blow back... feeds much better in a double stack/single feed (anyone remember the old, old Cold 9mm AR South African type mag, kinda like a grease gun, but not...) the the OEM 9mm Colt double stack/double feed....

Now I know why I faded away from here.... the temptation!!!!
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 2:47:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 2:03:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Interesting....

If I had more time to reload, I would be tempted to load some up and use in in my old CZ52.  Been wanting to pick up one of those old Commie pistols that look like an old Colt 1903(?)...the TT33(?).  They say they are a bit better then the CZ52.... oh well.  (I've got a 22TCM/9mm Rock Island and a FN57.... a 22TCM9R chambered 9mm PDW would be interesting....maybe).

Kinda went off on a tangent here from the 45 ACP topic.....
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 2:50:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Kaliburz:  Interesting....

If I had more time to reload, I would be tempted to load some up and use in in my old CZ52.  Been wanting to pick up one of those old Commie pistols that look like an old Colt 1903(?)...the TT33(?).  They say they are a bit better then the CZ52.... oh well.  (I've got a 22TCM/9mm Rock Island and a FN57.... a 22TCM9R chambered 9mm PDW would be interesting....maybe).

Kinda went off on a tangent here from the 45 ACP topic.....
View Quote
I keep wondering what a .357" SIG necked down to .22" and held to 10x25mm OAL would do - feed out of any 10mm mags.  .22" NormIG?
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:57:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

I keep wondering what a .357" SIG necked down to .22" and held to 10x25mm OAL would do - feed out of any 10mm mags.  .22" NormIG?
View Quote
Ya mean something like this?

.224 BOZ, a relic from the past....

Back in the day, the creators of the BOZ said Govt/LE only.  Everyone wanted to copy and chamber it and use it in their 10mm (well, folks in the US)... but there was a patent or something.  I never heard of anyone making a chamber cutter/reamer for it....let alone dies.  If did, it was on the QT....

Looking at the links now, it looks like the Boz was modified to a 9mm case, but their top end was 1700fps.  I never knew of the 9mm tests.... not sure what the status is now.

Story here: Story on the 224 Boz

Fast forward to today.... ya have the 22 TCM which Rock Island sells in a 22 TCM/9mm combo.  And their 22TCM9R, same case as the 22TCM, just shorter bullet loading/different bullet.  The 22TCM I think has an OAL just under a 38 Super, as the double stack mags are similar to the old Para Ordance double stacks....  But it is kind of like the 224 Boz.....well, the 9mm version of the Boz.

I'm sure a 357 Sig necked down to accept a .223" bullet would be similar, depending on bullet weight.....

When the 357 Sig came out, a whole BUNCH of necked down rounds came out.  The 400 Corbon, 40 Super, there was a .380 necked to .32 cal called the .32 NAA and then the .25 NAA- 32 ACP case necked down to .25 cal.  (I looked at the NAA site, shoot, they still make the 32 NAA!!!!???)
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 2:18:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, I looked @ the .224" Boz.  Think one version was based off a .45" case.  .22" TCM seems pretty slick; it would be nice to have a little more case capacity, but still fit a few more rounds in a pistol than a double-stack .45".
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 10:20:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Laserjock] [#12]
Back to 45ACP talk :D

Bought the upper from a local fellow. Came with mag block and 30? rd single stack Promags. Was told theyre USP maybe USC? I shot maybe 15rds using another pistol lower. Had some failure to feeds. Im goint to list them in the EE

Tried with the QC10 lower with similar results. Did some reading here but photobucket puking made it a little harder.

Removed weights from a spare buffer. Was using a 2.66 OZ buffer & standard carbine spring. Rock River 2 stage varmint trigger.

Had to do minor polishing to bolt lug & gas tube at the bolt port side, checked gas block to port and gas tube alignment, re-shape the extractor points similar to 458Socom. That experience came in handy. Made the action smoother and eliminated the scratching of the brass body and base.

Modified the mag follower & also the contact pad of the BHO lever to clear the mag body.

Will post additional pics later.

5rd group at 50yds at 4X. Will have to return to the range to test the function after modifications.

[

Link Posted: 12/3/2017 11:14:38 PM EDT
[#13]
That looks like Rudy's (Macon Armory) mag adapter and 15-rnd USC mags.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 11:36:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mad-Machinist] [#14]
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 1:32:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Laserjock] [#15]
Hey Rudy,

I have the USC adaptor and 2 mags listed for sale. I should pull them if there is an issue & I dont want the buyer to have problems with them. I did not get to use them in this rotation.

The upper is from you. Seller forwarded the emails from when he sent it back and there was a bolt exchanged. He is jobsonad from Virginia and the sale of the upper was from Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 10:52 AM according to the receipt.

This recent session was with the QC10 Glock lower. Getting some failure to feed & sometimes failure to lock back on empty mag. Loading only 3 rds to get optic dialed in. 3 Glock factory mags. 1 mag has weak spring so that didnt count. Another Glock mag has Kriss extension. Was using Federal 230gr FMJ & Geco 230gr FMJ. No difference

Inspected BCG & noticed a couple of things. The 2 bottom lugs are relieved but Im seeing some signs of brass. Does that area need more chamfer?

A minor feature at the rear of the carrier where the ramp has a step. I have a spare carrier to test next go around

The charging handle has strange wear. The bump is worn down & not as tall. I dont know if your uppers include a charging handle but I will be replacing that from my spare parts

Here's the weird part. At the end of the session I got frustated so loaded a full 13rd with a random mixed load of the above with my reloads and 185gr Wnchester hollow points mixed in. 3 different mag full. Did a mag dump at 25yds. No failures to feed. Lock back on empty each time. !!! Dont make sense to me but was impressed with the grouping at 25 yds. !!!

Pics are upside down =/

Link Posted: 12/12/2017 10:45:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mad-Machinist] [#16]
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 4:24:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 3:02:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I know I'm late to the party and this thread is actually TEN years old!

Can we have a current wrap up of what is available in regards to GG mag lowers, and .45 acp uppers?  80% lowers anymore?

This thread is great and all, but out of date and a bit long.

Thanks guys! Help a brother with a stack of GG mags find a new host for them.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 12:38:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mad-Machinist] [#19]
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 12:39:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Thank you for the update Rudy!

I will continue my research into the AR45 lower, hoping still to come across an intact 80% in the wild.

I will be in touch!
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 8:38:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 12:41:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MrPlayer] [#22]
This is a CNC GG mag lower.

Edited to add that it is a DI gun as well as select fire.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 6:28:57 PM EDT
[#23]
The CNC GG lower with an Oly Arms blowback upper is stupid simple and ultra reliable, even with the funky ejector spring. But you still have the drawbacks of a blowback system. Heavy bolt movement affects recoil management and getting back on target speed. Bolt bounce can be an issue but a heavier buffer can fix that. Olympic Arms is still in business but most items are made to order.

But if you shoot a blowback gun and them one of Rudy's DI guns, it will take a week to get the shit eatin' grin off your face. The difference is a sight to behold.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 12:42:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By TANGOCHASER:
The CNC GG lower with an Oly Arms blowback upper is stupid simple and ultra reliable, even with the funky ejector spring. But you still have the drawbacks of a blowback system. Heavy bolt movement affects recoil management and getting back on target speed. Bolt bounce can be an issue but a heavier buffer can fix that. Olympic Arms is still in business but most items are made to order.

But if you shoot a blowback gun and them one of Rudy's DI guns, it will take a week to get the shit eatin' grin off your face. The difference is a sight to behold.
View Quote
Stupid simple sounds about right for me. From what I understand, Rudy's uppers will not run with the AR45 GG lower?

I'm hoping to fab and or build as much of this as possible, I really enjoy building as much as I can. I've also been considering making an upper using a 16" Ruger Ranch Rifle barrel like i did for my MAC10.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 11:38:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Rudy's DI upper run with the AR45 lower. I have one in my safe now. His blowback do not run with the AR45 lowers as the mag needs to sit farther back in the magwell to work. The mag sits at the very front of the AR45 magwell.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 11:24:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By efxguy:  Thank you for the update Rudy!

I will continue my research into the AR45 lower, hoping still to come across an intact 80% in the wild.

I will be in touch!
View Quote
You could make one out of wood, particularly for a DI upper.  GWACS' Cav Arms Mk 2 will take the Hahn mag block for Grease Gun mags, or you could look through the $300ish AR thread to find the folks who got 20 or more of the Sabre Defense Cav Arms Mk 2s.  They'd probably sell you a couple cheap - they've got $5 or less in em.  Not me - I gave my $5 lowers away for Christmas presents.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

You could make one out of wood, particularly for a DI upper.  GWACS' Cav Arms Mk 2 will take the Hahn mag block for Grease Gun mags, or you could look through the $300ish AR thread to find the folks who got 20 or more of the Sabre Defense Cav Arms Mk 2s.  They'd probably sell you a couple cheap - they've got $5 or less in em.  Not me - I gave my $5 lowers away for Christmas presents.
View Quote
That's interesting, curious to see one. The standard forged lower is simple too narrow at the magwell to machine it to accept the GG mags. Cav Arms must have made them pretty wide there.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 10:21:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By efxguy:  That's interesting, curious to see one. The standard forged lower is simple too narrow at the magwell to machine it to accept the GG mags. Cav Arms must have made them pretty wide there.
View Quote
GWACS still makes the Cav Arms Mk 2 that way, and carries the warranty on Cav Arms made ones, including the Sabres.  GWACS also sells the Hahn mag blocks.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 12:09:10 AM EDT
[#29]
The Cav Arms GWAC lower place the GG mag in the middle of the magwell. They did this so a standard AR mag will work in the same magwell.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:41:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Polished the areas I highlighted above & the feedramp/lugs of the barrel extension

Replaced the charging handle

Added SB Tactical PDW brace

Now she runs smooth like butter

Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:59:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 7:48:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks Rudy. Many props to you. Thank you for answering my many questions when I called. Great to talk to someone very knowledgeable and willing to share. I was able to fix the stuff we talked about and glad I didnt have to send the upper back.

I think I want a shorter upper. 8 or 9 inch maybe. I dont wanna cut this one down. Is there a barrel, BCG, gas block builders kit available? I have a capable mancave full of tools and have assembled many 458Socom, 556 7.62X39 DI & 9mm blowback uppers.

Guys who are reading this - if you are looking for a DI upper get a Macon Armory upper.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 10:12:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mad-Machinist] [#33]
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 9:20:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Rudy - I'm new to the .45 game but have built several, including a 9mm dedicated suppressed.

I want to build a similar in .45. I have a stripped lower coming from Karri's Guns to start.

I dont want to build an SBR, but since the suppressor will be permanently mounted, I want a short barrel, no longer than 7" (Form 1 can is 12") to make it right at or just over 16"

Do you have anything that would work?
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 4:39:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mad-Machinist] [#35]
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 4:48:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Laserjock:
Polished the areas I highlighted above & the feedramp/lugs of the barrel extension

Replaced the charging handle

Added SB Tactical PDW brace

Now she runs smooth like butter

http://i68.tinypic.com/5p2cmt.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/124dgdi.jpg
View Quote
Laserjock,
I have a similar setup as yours, only with a Ron Williams upper.
I did similar follower mods but cut the front of the mag down to the BHO cutout level, that Glock mag's little metal front tab was disrupting the feed path.
You can take those lugs down more, I angle sloped from nothing to the front corner. The lugs slam the cartridges down 'into' the mag on recoil, can then misfeed.
I tried every carrier finish, Melonite, FailZero, NiB+Teflon, and even high temp lubes(like Krytox XHT-BDX) but still only get a few mags before the bolt/gas rings locks up.
The ol' mil-spec chrome gas cylinder runs the longest, I use an adj gas block and a 1/2 weight Carbine buffer and a worn out old buffer spring.
I run Federal +P HST's at just under supersonic, and always get curious look's and questions at the range(it's such a smooth shooter).

Just wonderin' just how long yours shoots "smooth as butter"? :)
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 1:18:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Laserjock] [#38]
Over 250 rds of factory & my reloads with no cleaning and no failures to feed or eject. Will continue to test shoot without cleaning until I get 2 failures.

The locking lugs had very sharp corners and needed chamfer. See the lug inline of the ejector. And at the "3" of 3M

The rear contacts needed it more than the front but I dont like sharp corners as they are stress risers. Compared this bolt to a 556 JPrifles, a piston LWRC & a Teppo Jutsu 458Socom to see where it needed work.

Cut back 1/16" from the bumper to make LRBHO reliable. Read somewhere the SB PDW buffer is shorter

Link Posted: 2/11/2018 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Laserjock:
Over 250 rds of factory & my reloads with no cleaning and no failures to feed or eject. Will continue to test shoot without cleaning until I get 2 failures.
http://i67.tinypic.com/27y0jea.jpg
View Quote
250rds? Excellent. What powder are you using in your reloads? Reloads seem to be the secret to long running.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Im using Unique powder the recipe given to me by a mentor reloader many years ago. Didnt find a need to even tweak the powder weight as it shoots great in my 1911s & Glock 21 to a Mechtech upper I got rid of a long time ago. 230gr Rainer or Berrys

I use Bullseye or 231 for cast lead
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 5:20:24 AM EDT
[#41]
I've read this thread and I'm very interested in building. Cnc45 lower and a macon armory di upper work together if I'm reading this right. Is there any way I can get a bare bones upper without the rail and muzzle device? Are the upper receivers proprietary? Thanks for your time and this amazing source of information.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:27:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mad-Machinist] [#42]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:09:58 PM EDT
[#43]
10+ year old thread.. but always interesting.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 12:31:51 AM EDT
[#44]
A 45 ACP Radial Delayed Blowback fed from grease gun or some other-than-Glock magazine would be fun...
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 10:23:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Ryo:
View Quote
Just went back through most of this thread.

Interesting to think back on all the developments over the years.

I see that TANGOCHASER has not posted in several months.

Anyone hear from him recently?
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 7:23:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:36:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Great to see everyone still loves the 45 AR. one of my favorites. So a Hello Bump is in order
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 8:58:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sburd7] [#48]
Rudy, I have one of the Stern Defense magazine adapters that allow use of 45M&P magazines.
Any chance your 45 DI will work using this adapter?
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 9:15:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By efxguy:
I know I'm late to the party and this thread is actually TEN years old!

Can we have a current wrap up of what is available in regards to GG mag lowers, and .45 acp uppers?  80% lowers anymore?

This thread is great and all, but out of date and a bit long.

Thanks guys! Help a brother with a stack of GG mags find a new host for them.
View Quote
Like Rudy said, the Gold Standard for GG mag lowers is the CNCGuns but this works too.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 9:18:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Ryo:
View Quote
I've been here since '08 and you are right.  It's been an adventure.
Page / 22
.45 ACP Conversion Guide (Page 20 of 22)
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top