Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
AR Sponsor
1/3/2014 12:14:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice.
1/3/2014 12:36:29 PM EDT
[#2]
It's about time you posted something,  I was experiencing withdrawal.  Sweet Rutabagas that 16 err 14 in the top pic is nice.
1/3/2014 2:14:43 PM EDT
[#3]
love that wood!  too bad this rifle never made it.
1/3/2014 2:51:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like someone broke off the rear sight ears (in the color photo). Wonder what the original source of that photo is.
1/3/2014 3:02:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice! Looks like a FAL and an AR-180 did naughty things together. I like it!
 
1/3/2014 4:31:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I love the design of the AR16/18, it should have been the M14 replacement.  Awesome pics, thanks for posting!
1/3/2014 4:34:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I miss my Sterling AR-180.
1/3/2014 8:40:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quote History
Quoted:
Looks like someone broke off the rear sight ears (in the color photo). Wonder what the original source of that photo is.
View Quote


The color one is actually an AR-12. From what I remember, it was a prototype for an AR that was simpler and lighter but, when Colt purchased the patents to the rifle and gas system, it was converted into a piston design and served as the basis for the AR-16.

I purchased a more thorough version of the AR-16 brochure and it contains a lot of information on the manufacturing processes and names of many of the parts. It's a very interesting design that I'd love to try and rebuild some day.
1/4/2014 8:33:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quote History
Quoted:


The color one is actually an AR-12. From what I remember, it was a prototype for an AR that was simpler and lighter but, when Colt purchased the patents to the rifle and gas system, it was converted into a piston design and served as the basis for the AR-16.

I purchased a more thorough version of the AR-16 brochure and it contains a lot of information on the manufacturing processes and names of many of the parts. It's a very interesting design that I'd love to try and rebuild some day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like someone broke off the rear sight ears (in the color photo). Wonder what the original source of that photo is.


The color one is actually an AR-12. From what I remember, it was a prototype for an AR that was simpler and lighter but, when Colt purchased the patents to the rifle and gas system, it was converted into a piston design and served as the basis for the AR-16.

I purchased a more thorough version of the AR-16 brochure and it contains a lot of information on the manufacturing processes and names of many of the parts. It's a very interesting design that I'd love to try and rebuild some day.



Yep, the top photo was originally published by Ian of the "Forgotten Weapons" website.  I can't find it now, but I could have sworn that he made a video concerning it during a seminar at KAC/IMT.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

AR Sponsor