Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/12/2010 8:51:53 AM EDT
Question.....I see that alot of folks appear to use FA BCG in AR15 Builds, I see that BCM always has them listed primarily in the Drop down box when purchasing an Upper Assembly.
Am I miising something? BATF states quite clearly that ANY M16 parts in an AR15 Build are NFA violations...For many many years I have built AR's and Always used SP1 Parts for this
reason....What gives?

I see alot of folks giving there "Build Specs" and List alot fo times "BCM FA BCG".......

Link Posted: 4/12/2010 8:58:01 AM EDT
[#1]

ETA: While there is a healthy dose of government doublespeak in that memo, the past paragraph is what is important. Colt, LMT, BCM, and others have invested plenty to make sure they aren't selling illegal parts to the civilian market.
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 8:59:52 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 4/12/2010 9:03:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the updated letter Captain-I didn't have that one yet
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 9:06:27 AM EDT
[#4]
One of the better response I have seen on ARF... Informative, to the point and not opinion based!
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 9:09:36 AM EDT
[#5]
WOW!, That was Quick....Thank you.  I learn something new everyday.....Is there any advantage to using a FA BCG? IE..Weight, Balance?

Link Posted: 4/12/2010 9:10:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
One of the better response I have seen on ARF... Informative, to the point and not opinion based!

Agreed. It's pretty rare that you get two definitive response in the first two posts.

[ETA] I'm saving this thread as a reference since the question comes up fairly often.
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 9:23:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Seems like Mr. Spencer is better at his job the Mr. Nixon.
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 10:05:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got auto carriers in three of my ARs.

This is posted on the BCM site......

Written by Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE), Chief of the Firearms Technology Branch

...M16 bolt carriers are not designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun and are not any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled.  Further, an M16 bolt carrier is not a firearm as defined in the GCA or a machinegun as defined in the NFA.  An M16 bolt carrier is simply a machinegun part and as such its domestic sale and possession is unregulated under the Federal firearms laws.  It is not unlawful to utilize a M16 machinegun bolt carrier in a semiautomatic AR15 type rifle.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-p/bcm%20bolt%20carrier%20group%20auto%20mp.htm

Link Posted: 4/12/2010 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 10:27:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
WOW!, That was Quick....Thank you.  I learn something new everyday.....Is there any advantage to using a FA BCG? IE..Weight, Balance?

Heavier weight makes it cycle better s/a 11.1  f/a 11.5
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 11:18:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 12:15:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
that letter is a bit contradictory.

they advise not to use them, then state that if the gun is NOT made f/a it is perfectly legal

Which part you are interpreting as an advisory not to use them?
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 12:15:57 PM EDT
[#13]
The 'full circle' carrier is not required in a semi-auto AR for any purpose, but it has a better design under the firing pin which prevents the hammer from hitting it during cycling - this is what damages the FP retaining pins. But, it's a more robust carrier that everyone seems to want, so I put it in my latest, the 'Heavy-Duty' carbine, since everything else in it is HD. Colt has been using it their 'law enforcement' ARs for years.
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 12:26:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The 'full circle' carrier is not required in a semi-auto AR for any purpose, but it has a better design under the firing pin which prevents the hammer from hitting it during cycling - this is what damages the FP retaining pins. But, it's a more robust carrier that everyone seems to want, so I put it in my latest, the 'Heavy-Duty' carbine, since everything else in it is HD. Colt has been using it their 'law enforcement' ARs for years.

For what it's worth, even Colt's civilian Match Targets are shipping with M16 carriers and .154 FCG pins now

Link Posted: 4/12/2010 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

they advise not to use them, then state that if the gun is NOT made f/a it is perfectly legal

The part that says "previous FTB recommendations not to install this carrier".  It's pretty clear that the first letter is typical bureaucratic crap.

That being said I run auto BCG's in a half dozen of them, and since they all still only fire semi then it's not a problem (since it's not a machine gun).
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 3:49:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The part that says "previous FTB recommendations not to install this carrier".  It's pretty clear that the first letter is typical bureaucratic crap.

That being said I run auto BCG's in a half dozen of them, and since they all still only fire semi then it's not a problem (since it's not a machine gun).

My bad, I didn't even read the first letter.  The second letter is more recent and makes it pretty clear that FA BCGs are legal.
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top