9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/23/2006 6:47:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/2/2006 2:36:34 PM EDT by shawn21]
delete
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:16:50 PM EDT
drill 1 hole 1 time with the part installed

i think its a #31 bit and use 1/8x1/2 pins avil at any hw store

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:36:17 AM EDT
the front sight and gas chamber didnt come predrilled, just have a place to start 2 holes on them. When i reposition the parts into place, will the drill bit do the rest? i want them to be nice clean holes. I have 1/8 drill bit and 1/8 dowel rod, will i need to use a smaller drill bit and work my way up? i dont want to mess this up. what type of drill would you guys recommend?

Shawn
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:07:37 AM EDT
a 1/8 bit wont work
you need it to be undersized and a 1/8 will be about .002 over sized

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:55:08 AM EDT
DO I NEED A DRILL PRESS TO DO THIS JOB?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:58:59 PM EDT
I haven't drill any yet but the guy I'm building with has drill several and the guns function good. He uses a handdrill and 1/8 but will try and verify tomorrow that is the size he uses.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:21:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tommy2399:
I haven't drill any yet but the guy I'm building with has drill several and the guns function good. He uses a handdrill and 1/8 but will try and verify tomorrow that is the size he uses.

Thanks, i have all the old parts off the gun, and getting them prepped for the new parts to be installed and drilled. I had to cut the front sight off but the gas chamber came off nice...

Shawn
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:37:44 AM EDT
bump, i need info on how to drill these out.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:50:45 PM EDT
Grind a small flat on the bottom of your barrel where the FSB slips over.

Grind it square to the front trunnion.

Drill and tap for a small set screw on the bottom of your FSB.

Mount the barrel in a V/block on the mill and indicate the front trunnion sqare to the mill head.

Use an indicator to pic up the two existing FSB pin holes on your barrel and then write down those locations on a piece of paper.

Mount the FSB on the barrel without moving the barrel any and tighten the setscrew and it will locate itself square via the small flat you ground.

Take an 1/8 carbide endmill and cut the holes out with small pecks until you went through the FSB and barrel.

This is how I did mine anyways.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:09:23 PM EDT
drill press and a carbide bit. I can't imagine being able to do it very well by hand. the press ought to have a self centering jig that allows the barrel to be held perfectly so the bit can find the exact center of the barrel before you even start drilling. use LOTS of oil....and let the bit do the work...g
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:52:46 PM EDT
Got the parts on, just need to drill the holes. Im having a hard time finding someone with a drill press, all i like is drilling the holes and refinishing the barrel assembly, and it will be finished.

Shawn
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:58:36 AM EDT
bump for help.....
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:10:46 AM EDT
ok guys, found my titanium drill bits and got access to a drill press. i will be drilling tomorrow so if anyone has anymore advice, speak up. I will need to figure out a way to center the front sight with the drill bit, but once i do that, it will do the rest itself.

Shawn
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:22:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By shawn21:
ok guys, found my titanium drill bits and got access to a drill press. i will be drilling tomorrow so if anyone has anymore advice, speak up. I will need to figure out a way to center the front sight with the drill bit, but once i do that, it will do the rest itself.

Shawn

Your drill bit will walk and wont make a straight hole. You need a center drill if your FSB doesnt have holes in it. You should have a way to drill through the existing holes so dont butcher your barrel. I suggest a mill.

Sometimes theres only one way to learn though
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:57:07 PM EDT
Hey,

There are already places to start the holes. The barrel was already drilled with the previous sight/gas chamber so i wont be drilling thru that. Im using a 7/64th drill bit for the holes. I will let you guys know the outcome. If worse comes to worse i can always use my 1/8 dowel rod for retaining pins.

Shawn
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:27:20 PM EDT
Hey guys, got the drill holes done, turned out damn well. I used a 7/64, but i need a drill bit just a tad bigger for the factory retaining pins, what kind of drill bit do you use? i was thinking a 2.9MM or a #31 size?

Shawn
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:23:55 PM EDT
bump for info...
Top Top