Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/18/2005 10:57:09 AM EDT
I have noticed that alot of people on this forum prefer to buy or have an AK with dimples on the side of the reciever. My big question is why? What do the dimples do other than give the AK a different look from say WASRs.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#1]
The dimples (depressions) on a standard AK are actually what holds the magazine tight when it's inserted into the weapon .... WASR's use steel plates welded in place to do the same job ... Sometimes they are out of spec and this allows the mags to wobble ... Just poor workmanship on some of the WASR's ... Hand pick these if at all possible
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 11:04:43 AM EDT
[#2]
its a tradition thing really.  true AKM rifles have dimples, and that is what people want.  the wasr/vepr non dimple deal works fine, its just not true to tradition.

Link Posted: 5/18/2005 11:06:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Ahh ok, I never really understood the purpose of the dimples but thanks for the info guys.

See ya learn something new everyday on AR15.com
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The dimples (depressions) on a standard AK are actually what holds the magazine tight when it's inserted into the weapon .... WASR's use steel plates welded in place to do the same job ... Sometimes they are out of spec and this allows the mags to wobble ... Just poor workmanship on some of the WASR's ... Hand pick these if at all possible

just because there are dimples it doesnt mean that mags wont wobble.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 11:31:59 AM EDT
[#5]
My SAR2 wobbles like nobody's bisiness and it has the dimples
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 11:44:41 AM EDT
[#6]
My MAK wobbles too

dimples schmemples
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 1:01:59 PM EDT
[#7]
None of my SAR'S wobble .........
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 1:06:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
None of my SAR'S wobble .........

You got lucky
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 1:13:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Not Lucky ... I just hand picked mine ...

Link Posted: 5/18/2005 1:32:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Just went and checked my Saiga no wobble, neither does the VEPR have an wobble with mags. The WASR has noticeable wobble, loaded mags I doesn't wobble so much. With Bulgarian mags all three are tight.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 1:41:10 PM EDT
[#11]
If you use Bulgy waffle mags then it’ll solve most of the wobble problems.
My WASR-10 wobbles like my Ford Pinto but with Waffle mag it feels damn rock solid!!  I mean not even 0.1 mm of movement here!
After this experiment, I ended up buying 20 more waffle mags!  
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:47:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My WASR-10 wobbles like my Ford Pinto but with Waffle mag it feels damn rock solid!!  I mean not even 0.1 mm of movement here!

My WASR won't even take a waffle mag. I gotta use steel mags only in it. Other than that it's a great rifle.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 7:05:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
hr

My WASR won't even take a waffle mag. I gotta use steel mags only in it. Other than that it's a great rifle.

You may have to widen the mag well to accept them. I had to do some "work" on my wasr to get it to accept drum.

Boy that was one of the smartest moves I have ever made. The wasr was made to shoot a 75rd drums in rapid fire. The gun lets off this real nice "happy smoke" after each drum.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 7:06:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

take a file to the bitch and it will take waffle mags.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:10:45 PM EDT
[#15]
It was explaned to me that the dimples are really called "coining". This prosess helps to reenforce a stamped receiver, reducing flex in F/A fire.It dosen't seem that they even contact the mag usually.Off the AK subject, if you think about it an Uzi has dimples they're just skinnier and longer.Just a thought.

E.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top