Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
AK Sponsor
1/30/2008 2:50:15 PM EDT
Greetings -

I have a question regarding the ORF Galil, and am wondering about the quality of their current offering. Compared side by side with a Century Golani, the ORF seems better in terms of fit, finish, and overall although a couple hundred dollars more expensive the better of the two rifles.

General consensus, are ORF Galil's good to go?

Appreciate the input.

1/30/2008 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you looked at the Galil's at atlantic firearms.
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=482

It looks like they are built from complete kits. I think the century are using green mountain barrels. The ones at Atlantic are less expensive also. I can't comment on the quality of any of them. Just starting to think about a galil myself.
1/30/2008 6:28:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Both ORF and Century are utilizing Green Mountain 1/12 barrels.

Aim Surplus has Galils for $699.95.

Century, Atlantic, and Aim are offering the Galil AR model, while the ORF is an ARM. Aim notes their offering is Century built, and when compared to the Atlantic model, they appear the same rifle. I wonder if Atlantic is thus also selling a Century build?

ORF is supplying Galil receivers to all manufacturers, and all the current offerings are built from IMI suplus "kits". I've read the ORF Galil's are supposed to have the highest quality levels,  (i.e., fewest issues) and if problems arise are willing to back their rifles with warranty repairs.
1/30/2008 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I was able to compare an ORF Galil build side by side with a Century built rifle about nine months ago.  The ORF build came home with me.  I hear that the Century Galils that they are turning out now function fine, but the fit and finish on the ORF build was a lot better and the furniture was new.  I have been very pleased with my ORF Galil and feel it was worth the extra money.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj106/Smittyd5r/Gun%20Stuff/ORFGalilAR1.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj106/Smittyd5r/Gun%20Stuff/ORFGalil2.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj106/Smittyd5r/Gun%20Stuff/ORFGalilARFG1.jpg
1/30/2008 6:54:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Demon5Romeo -

Glad to hear you're satisfied and happy with your ORF.

I had the chance to examine and compare an ORF Galil with bipod and carry handle, with a Century Golani with wood handguard ( no bipod or carry handle ) at a recent show. The ORF certainly had the better fit and finish. Price on the ORF was $1200, and Century $900. ( I knew Century Galil's could be had for less, and also thought the asking price of the ORF was less than is listed on ORF's website. )

Several folks have noted the ORF is worth the extra expenditure over the Century, and your positive experience with the ORF Galil also seems typical. That's a fine looking Galil you have.
1/30/2008 7:55:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Atlantic says theirs are built on a new Rapid Fire Milled Reciever.
1/31/2008 7:00:56 PM EDT
[#6]
height=8
Quoted:
Atlantic says theirs are built on a new Rapid Fire Milled Reciever.


So are the Century Galils.  Who puts them together makes a big difference.

2/1/2008 5:47:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Received my Century built from AIM yesterday and am thrilled with the quality!

The rifle looks perfect in fit and finnish , my IMI factory mags fit perfect and there is no slop in the handguards or stock.

The thumb safety moves freely with postive engagement.

Came with 2 refurbed mags that look almost new.


Have not fired it yet , but did hand cycle a full mag of dummies w/o any trouble.

At $699.99 delivered from AIM I think it is the deal of the year!!!

Will post a range report soon.
2/1/2008 12:58:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought Atlantic was selling Vulcan's guns? They used to have their own receivers from somewhere.
2/19/2008 6:03:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Guys,
Atlantic stocks the Century assembled guns.  Easy way to tell is if it does not say Rapid Fire on the receiver, and RFG223 as the model, it was not made by us, now that does not mean we assembled it either, so really research your buy if you think your buying a true Rapid Fire assembled gun.

Centurys guns are marked with there info and Golani as model

Rapid Fire guns assembled and receivers sold marked Rapid Fire and RFG223 as the model (and now RFG308, and RFG762, but lets not get too confused just yet).

Forgot to add, yes we do mfg the receiver for Centurys built guns, so the add is correct.  I would like to add though to some that have inquired, we do not service these guns if there is a issue, we did not do the assembly, Century did, Century will warrant it.

Todd@ORF
2/19/2008 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, I bought the ORF Galil, marked as TGrove has stated.

Cleaned, lubricated, picked up some of the DSA SA magazines, and will have a range report available soon as these cold temperatures moderate a tad: hopefully this will occur early next week.

One quick question regarding barrel twist: 1/9?
2/19/2008 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
One quick question regarding barrel twist: 1/9?


Correct.

2/20/2008 7:11:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Guys,
My GM barrels in the builds are 1/9.

Todd@ORF
2/26/2008 7:50:23 AM EDT
[#13]
To: Demon5Romeo

May I ask, where did you get that great looking, 8 mag chest pouch?
Looks light, sturdy and ready to go.

reddhawk, out.
2/26/2008 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
To: Demon5Romeo

May I ask, where did you get that great looking, 8 mag chest pouch?
Looks light, sturdy and ready to go.

reddhawk, out.


It is a Spec-Ops MOUT rig.  I got mine from a Spec-Ops rep that came to my battalion right before our second tour to Iraq.  We were able to get them a little before they released them for general sale and for about half the cost.  I really like mine.  I really don't like ACU, but they are availalbe in other colors.  You can get them through Spec-Op directly or I deal a lot with www.optactical.com.  It is a great, simple rig for AR mags.

If you want something along the same lines for Galil or AK mags, I would highly recommend the Tactical Tailor AK Iraqi SF rig available through Rainier Arms.  It is a little larger, but not by much.  The magazine pouch covers can be removed to make it in a very close configuration to the Spec-Ops MOUT rig.





2/27/2008 11:06:53 PM EDT
[#15]
the tactical tailor rigs are top notch, if they dont offer it they can make it for you and they back their product better than most other places  
3/1/2008 5:00:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Hello Todd,
When will the Yugoslavian M76 .8mm with the Zrak scope and mount be for sale? I have all my money saved for one. Also when will the 25 RD .308 Galil mags be in ?. I have been calling for over a year and the Young Lady tells me in about 3 to 4 weeks at the most.
Thank You Very Much For Your Reply.
Don.
3/2/2008 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Don,
I am told my M76 extras, scopes, mags, etc will be leaving customs in a few weeks.  We have the M76 rifles avail now without the extras.  308 Galil mags I still do not have a del date.

Todd@ORF
3/13/2008 6:03:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Guys,
My GM barrels in the builds are 1/9.

Todd@ORF


How much does the ORF Galil weigh? Looks tempting...
3/13/2008 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Guys,
My GM barrels in the builds are 1/9.

Todd@ORF


How much does the ORF Galil weigh? Looks tempting...


About 9.5lbs.
3/16/2008 7:40:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Todd,
I dont mean to change the topic, But when am I going to be able to buy one of your Yugoslavian M76 .8MM sniper rifles with the scope and all of the extras that you have for sale ?. And also the 20 round Galil magazines ?
I Thank You In Advance For Your Reply,
Best Regards,
Don..
Dear Todd,
Im sorry about this post, I did not see your first reply, Again, Im very sorry.
Don.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

AK Sponsor