Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2010 7:15:03 PM EDT
I may know lots about the AR platform but I know basically nothing about AKs.

As someone who is interested in the prospect of an AK underfolder does anyone know of a "The Chart" for AKs?

Whats a good buy for your buck while maintaining good quality? As an example is there a BCM equivalent for AKs?

Thanks for your input guys!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:34:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Yugoslavia AK's are nice but lack chrome lined barrels.

That's all I got to say about that.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:31:01 AM EDT
[#2]
A quality Polish build from a reputable builder would be hard to top.  My Polish underfolder (Overland build) is a very fine rifle.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:05:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A quality Polish build from a reputable builder would be hard to top.  

+1; you can find them built from matching-numbers kits.

If you want immediate gratification (and who doesn't?) you could look at Henderson for a certified unit.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:25:43 AM EDT
[#4]
There is no “The Chart” for AK’s (thank God).

That said, yes…some AK’s are put together better than others.

If you want a higher-end underfolding AK, I agree…Polish AK’s are very nice.  Just make sure you get one from a reputable builder.  Good Polish underfolders are hard to find for under $700.

You can also find some Chinese underfolders and Arsenal (Bulgarian) underfolders if you look around.  Those will cost more ($800+), but will be solid rifles.

At the lower end, Yugo M70AB2 rifles can be readily found at several dealers for around $500.  Don’t let the price fool you…these are good rifles, too.  True, they do not have chrome-lined barrels.  But unless you’re going to be putting a serious round count through the rifle in a short period of time, I wouldn’t let that stop you.  If you take proper care of it, the rifle and its barrel will outlast you.

Since you’re new to AK’s, I would start with the Yugo and see if you like it.  If so, you can either sell it at a later time and upgrade it, or keep it and move onto higher-end rifles as your interest and budget allow.    
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:58:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:51:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Since most kits these days lack barrels, why not just get the $135 chrome-lined barrel from Green Mountain for a Yugo?

Planning on one for my shot-to-shit Yugo sewerpipe.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:55:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Awesome thanks for the advice guys.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:50:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm gonna go the other way, and say I am not that impressed with Polish Underfolders.  I've owned two, and both had issues from the mother country with canting and missalignment.  One it was just a canted FSB, but it was pretty bad.  The second with not only a canted FSB, but also a canted rear sight block as well.  And I know someone is going to say "but the ears on the trunnion, blah blah blah...."  Well, it was within the ears, but hard pressed against the left ear and significantly gapped from the right.  Combine that with an FSB that is canted in the opposite direction, and its  The barrel pin was drilled at an angle, so any attempt to straighten it would not work...

I know my experience is not the norm for all Polish kits...
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top