Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2020 8:57:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alaskagrown]
So a coworker that shoots wound up talking me into getting into service rifle so I have been trying to piece together something on the cheap.  I am going to use a ar carbine that was already sitting in the safe.  Its sports an LMT M4 upper with a 1in7 chrome lined barrel I bought probably 12 years ago with a DD omega 7in rail on top of a Doublestar lower. I just bought a vortex cantilever mount and ordered an Athlon Argos BTR 1-4 ffp mil scope to go in the mount.  

I guess my question would be for using the sling should I put a sling swivel on the rail or use the fsb sling mount?
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 9:05:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#1]
MI's MCTAR-06.

I recommend taking the bolt out and loctiting the set screw inside before installing. The corners eventually bugged me, so I filed them.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 9:29:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
MI's MCTAR-06.

I recommend taking the bolt out and loctiting the set screw inside before installing. The corners eventually bugged me, so I filed them.
View Quote
I use those or GG&G's.  OP, don't use the swivel on the front sight base -- it'll pull you off-zero.

An M4gery with a 4.5X should get you started nicely!  Has it got a good trigger?
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 11:18:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sinister:
I use those or GG&G's.  OP, don't use the swivel on the front sight base -- it'll pull you off-zero.

https://www.brownells.com.au/image/cache/image/data/products/336000040_2-500x500.jpg

An M4gery with a 4.5X should get you started nicely!  Has it got a good trigger?
View Quote

Good trigger?  Lol no...

I have a list running of various things to upgrade, I am not sure what trigger to get.  Had been looking at a larue mbt
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 11:36:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#4]
I'd make the investment in a Geissele High Speed National Match.

If money's tight you might be able to get one used off the EE.  If you can't find one, then Geissele SSA, and finally a G2S (I got one direct for $99 last year on a holiday special -- maybe Christmas?).

I have no experience with the Larue trigger, but for what Mark asks it's a deal.  I have a number of Krieger-Milazzos and a whole bunch of Geisseles.

Rules for Service Rifle says the trigger has to lift a 4 1/2 pound weight off a table without firing.  GI triggers start at around six pounds.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 8:55:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had good luck with the Rock River Arms service rifle trigger.  They can usually be found for around $90 or so.

With a good trigger and high quality ammo a carbine can post surprisingly respectable scores, if you do your part right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top