Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2021 5:34:25 PM EDT
My opinion is that ranges limiting people's ability to actually train will get people killed in real world situations. I've heard a lot of other people talk about the range Nazis and the "no rapid fire" rules.
I used to live in California, the only range was about an hour away and all you could do there was slow fire off a bench rest. I had never shot from any position but bench rest before I moved and bought my own 80 acre range. I remember going there with my first AR and I accidently bumped a double tap while bench rest shooting and I immediately had a sense that somebody was standing next to me, I turned my head the fucking creepy looking range Nazi is literally hovering over me.

Can anybody actually articulate why "rapid fire" is prohibited on so many ranges? Is it actually a safety concern, or is it just that they worry neighbors would complain about "machine gun fire"?
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 5:40:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BWood] [#1]
Look at the walls and ceilings

I trust no one at a range….seen too many idiots
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 5:51:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BWood:

View Quote

Well the place I was shooting was just a big mountainside. Outdoor range. I think if they see somebody who can't control the gun they can tell them to stop, but instead they pick on a person like Jerry miculek, or something, who can knock down plates or pins super fast while keeping all bullets on target.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 5:58:23 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote

I remember a few years back when the range I go to change get out their roof.  Within a week there were a few holes in it already
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 5:58:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grendelsbane] [#4]

View Quote

Essentially this.  I have patronized a number ranges where issues with encroachment cause serious sound or bullet escape problems.

Plus, clubs and range owners get tired of patching roofs and other equipment.  It doesn’t take to many dumbasses acting out before everybody pays the price.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 6:17:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I have seen peeps bounce rounds everywhere, and some angles are amazing.  Ceiling panels and lighting falling to the floor, target drive systems destroyed, etc.

Cross fire on others targets is also common.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 6:22:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey OP, were you talking about the old Azusa Canyon range by chance?
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 7:20:23 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

Bingo.  I can't tell you how many times I've been flagged, or had idiots start shooting as I was downrange.  Those, however, were mostly DNR ranges that were self-policed.

People wonder why I wore body armor sometimes. Or kept my CCW (or rifle) when I went downrange.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#8]
No idea, I shoot at home.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Look at the ceiling. There’s your answer. Of course it’s bullshit and few ruin it for the many.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 7:49:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
I have seen peeps bounce rounds everywhere, and some angles are amazing.  Ceiling panels and lighting falling to the floor, target drive systems destroyed, etc.  

Cross fire on others targets is also common.
View Quote

I was shooting at a 100yd range next to a couple other guys. I put a fresh shootnsee out during cease fire. 12” round black circle.

The guy next to me is shooting a scoped rifle. He also put up a new target. A large blue human silhouette.

I sit down at my bench, make an adjustment on my lpvo, look through the glass, and there’s 3 holes in my little black shootnsee. The guy next to me was blasting away. I leaned over and said hey man, I think you’re shooting my target.

He was shocked and couldn’t figure out how he could have made that mistake

He was a really nice guy and I didn’t make a fuss. We had been shooting next to each other for a little while and he walked to his truck and got some cool looking shootnsee zombie targets and insisted on giving them to my 2 boys who were shooting with me and he gave each of them a spent 45-70 cartridge case for their collection.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 8:55:49 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Exactly. A lot of the yay-hoos can't control rapid fire.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 9:03:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I’ve been yelled at for rapid fire at a DNR range before. I’ve seen enough asshats hit everything but their target in my days at public ranges. A good one was some guys I worked with shooting a glock 18 at an indoor range. Brrrrrrppppp straight up the ceiling.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 10:55:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By AASG:
My opinion is that ranges limiting people's ability to actually train will get people killed in real world situations. I've heard a lot of other people talk about the range Nazis and the "no rapid fire" rules.
I used to live in California, the only range was about an hour away and all you could do there was slow fire off a bench rest. I had never shot from any position but bench rest before I moved and bought my own 80 acre range. I remember going there with my first AR and I accidently bumped a double tap while bench rest shooting and I immediately had a sense that somebody was standing next to me, I turned my head the fucking creepy looking range Nazi is literally hovering over me.

Can anybody actually articulate why "rapid fire" is prohibited on so many ranges? Is it actually a safety concern, or is it just that they worry neighbors would complain about "machine gun fire"?
View Quote

The answer is because most people suck at shooting even slow fire.

This leads to two issues: safety due to bullets leaving the range and damage to the range infrastructure.

Go to an indoor range and take a look at the walls snd ceilings - and watch some of the shooters missing full size silhouette targets as close as 7 yards.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 11:04:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By HCM3156:

This leads to two issues: safety due to bullets leaving the range and damage to the range infrastructure.

Go to an indoor range and take a look at the walls snd ceilings - and watch some of the shooters missing full size silhouette targets as close as 7 yards.
View Quote

The last gun rag I read I think they were using a 3 yard target to show how accurate a pistol was.

Maybe it's just me, but that's point in that general direction and hit it kind of accuracy.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 11:06:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By AASG:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 11:30:59 PM EDT
[#16]
 envy
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 11:39:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By JustinOK34:
View Quote

Or Angeles
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 11:49:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 11:54:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 12:06:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Amish_Bill] [#20]
Originally Posted By Lexington:

Exactly. A lot of the yay-hoos can't control rapid fire.
View Quote

A lot of the yay-hoos can't control SLOW fire.

I can't count the number of 5 yard targets I've seen with holes from shoulder to shoulder and neck to groin. Lets not even talk about all the holes completely outside the silhouette from practically spitting distances...

I still remember the face on the guy who wanted to shut me down for 'shooting too quickly' at a local range, but stopped when he saw the lack of holes outside the 7 ring. It was almost like a semi-competent shooter was a rarity there.
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 6:15:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Our indoor range def has a ton of holes in the ceiling.

we allow "rapid fire" but machine guns and bump stocks are only allowed at approved shoots.

we still get an email once a week saying "hey guys, just a reminder machine guns are only permitted during approved times!"
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 7:01:49 AM EDT
[#22]
My ranges rule is reasonable. No method of firing which could be mistaken for full auto. That still allows triple taps and rapid fire drills.
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 7:54:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Was an rso at a public indoor range for a while. Most people that came in could barely hit the target without some instruction doing slow fire, much less rapid. We regularly had holes in the ceiling that needed patched.

I like the way a range local to me does it. They allow it, but watch when you do and as long as you're hitting your target while doing so, they let you have at it. Once you start slinging lead elsewhere, you're getting told to slow it down. Its a case by case basis.
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 8:32:00 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

The range where I used to shoot had a lot of holes in the partitions too, I always asked for the bay at the extreme left end. I stopped going there when the shooter next to me ducked under the partition and walked down range to retrieve his target which had fallen off the hanger. The range was still hot and folks were actively shooting…

Too little supervision was worse than too much supervision in that particular instance.
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 8:33:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 8:39:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 8:52:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Because even when trying to shoot slowly idiots will accidentally bump double taps
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 8:55:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#28]
Watch your fellow shooters at the range sometime and the answer will become clear.

Those yahoos trying to “train” represent far more danger than you having to “train” elsewhere.
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 8:56:46 AM EDT
[#29]
There are people out there with room temperature IQs. These are the people who ruin it for everyone else.
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 8:57:28 AM EDT
[#30]
LOL
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 11:23:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Why no "rapid fire".... Because those ranges that don't allow realistic rates of fire don't want skilled shooters or my business.  

They are pretty much a waste of time for all but my LTC quals and beginner students.
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 10:44:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By JustinOK34:
View Quote

No. I think it was called the San Luis Obispo Sportsmans Association.
Other stupid shit there: I wanted to zero in my slug gun for deer season. Was told "NO SHOTGUNS". Was told you have to shoot it over there on the trap range. I explained that its basically a rifle when I'm using slugs. He didnt care. I asked if he wanted me to go shoot slug in the air at the trap range, all I got was a dumb look.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 12:01:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By BornToLooze:

The last gun rag I read I think they were using a 3 yard target to show how accurate a pistol was.

Maybe it's just me, but that's point in that general direction and hit it kind of accuracy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BornToLooze:
Originally Posted By HCM3156:

The last one I read talked about how the gun had 10 malfs but they were all shooter error...... so why do they let people who can't shoot test guns for review again?
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 12:28:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 12:43:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Somebody may have trained with VODA. No ceiling is safe when he is on the range.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 12:54:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 1:02:56 AM EDT
[#37]
My range doesn't allow it and there are still holes in the canopies. I can only imagine what it would look like if they allowed rapid fire.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 1:14:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Because all ranges are just one round away from being closed.  And if you are a public range and allow rapid fire the gang bangers and wanna-be's will show up doing side hold mag dumps sending rounds everywhere but into the correct berm.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 11:42:08 AM EDT
[#39]
It's not BS. Go buy some property, build a range, open it to the public... come back and let us know how it goes.

Bottom line, people do stupid shit, with or w/o rules. I've actually watched people rapid fire with their eyes closed... I've watched people attempt rapid fire and they end up spraying the lanes to their left and right as well as over the horizon and a few feet from their own feet.

When I give classes on my own range, the crap I have to cover with folks before the first round is fired is ridiculous... but... it's because someone did some stupid shit in the past. My range is not open to the public, just my classes or the classes I host.

After class, I use to let people recreationally shoot while the steaks cooked... no more, because like I said, people do stupid shit.  

Link Posted: 11/5/2021 12:01:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Because most people are morons, that's why. All it takes is one retard to arc a round into the side of a house a mile away and the club is done. There are a lot of variables too with range setup. The range I go to is on flat ground with dirt mounds at various intervals. There's just not a lot of containment for errant rounds from some dink mag dumping his AK. So I kinda understand
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 3:05:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Two main reasons: Liability & stupid people. You can't really blame them either, most dudes I've seen "training" at public ranges just blast wildly downrange and aren't doing anything worthwhile anyway.
It's usually not the skilled 3 gun or match shooter they have problems with, it's Tactical Timmy who watched too many T-Rex arms videos.

Plus it's just really obnoxious for everyone near them, especially if the rifle has a brake or a short barrel. If you have to share a range, it's best to be courteous.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 3:17:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Sajer:
I’ve been yelled at for rapid fire at a DNR range before. I’ve seen enough asshats hit everything but their target in my days at public ranges. A good one was some guys I worked with shooting a glock 18 at an indoor range. Brrrrrrppppp straight up the ceiling.
View Quote

Aren’t there only two of those in the country?
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 3:21:54 AM EDT
[#43]
My LGS/Range allows rapid fire but if you get carried away like a douche, you will be asked to leave in a persuasive manner. This same LGS/Range also allows full auto on certain days. You can even rent full autos.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 4:08:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 6:58:01 AM EDT
[#45]
"Conservative" gun people: "you can't make me wear a mask or get a shot or distance myself from others! Even if they work, it's not MY responsibility to keep other people safe! Any restriction on what I want to do is tyranny!"

Also "conservative" gun people: "OMG of course you can't shoot rapid fire at a gun range! Are you mental? Have you seen the damage to the roofs of the pavilions? You have to do what we tell you to do because we know what's best - you need to make sure others are safe!"

At the end of the day, most people who call themselves conservatives get off by forcing others to do/not do something, just like progressives. "Freedom is scary" only applies when OTHER people are scared.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 7:27:19 AM EDT
[#46]
My club brought up some "reasonable restrictions on rate of fire and mag capacity" at our last meeting. They want to ban "rapid fire" but arent sure how to define it. Apparently neighbors to the club complained (club/range has been there since the 1930s). I told them if they wanted to be democrats and institute gun control at a gun club, Ill take my money and leave.

Shoot at the rate of fire you can control while getting shots accurately on target.

Link Posted: 11/18/2021 10:50:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:
Originally Posted By Sajer:

Two DNR ranges?
Two indoor ranges?
Two G18s?

I'm sure there are more than just two of any of those.  Heck, I've shot (what I believe) to be a G18 from the guy I bought my suppressors from.  He has a fun collection.  That was 15+ years ago but I do believe it was a true G18.  Now if it was transferrable or not, I don't remember.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 12:16:56 AM EDT
[#48]
For outdoor ranges, rounds have to go into the backstop.  Rapid firing could launch rounds over the backstop or into the ground before it causing ricochet hazards.  Or hitting other shooters target frames.  Or shooting the target stand pipes in the ground.  Etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top