Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2012 6:46:59 AM EDT
I have been contemplating purchasing one. I found one for $725. What are you alls thoughts on this for my LWRC REPR?
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 9:53:17 AM EDT
[#1]
while its nice, for that cash get the FFP 24x PST or bushnell in mil/mil... the trij is moa/mil and that's 1980's gay....
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:30:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I would say similar things as the previous poster.  Good scopes in my opinion, good glass.  Just not as feature rich or Mil/Mil.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 5:32:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JeffinVAB] [#3]
philips64:

I have 2 TR23-2G Trijicons (green dot), one on my Precision AR15 and one on a FN FNAR. For the money, this is one of the best value scopes out there. It uses the same Japanese mfg. glass as many of the $1,700 to $2,000 scopes like the NF.

The suggested retail price is about $1,200 and I got both of mine for $949 each. At $725 it's a total steal. You still need a Larue LT104 or JP scope mount.

You shouldnt even think about passing up a TR23 at that price. Nothing else at that price is even close.

It is a MIL dot scope with MOA dials, but I never even think about it. All the ballistic calculators have the MIL and MOA numbers right next to each other. It's a non issue. My Zeiss Conquest 6.5X20 mil dot is the same, MIL dot with MOA dials.

There is a picture of my AR with the TR23 on it in this thread:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/602533_Need_help_finding_why_my_AR_based_precision_rifle_isnt_grouping_well.html&page=3

Link Posted: 3/6/2013 12:08:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cmshoot] [#4]
I did a 1 year T&E on one when it first came out.  Shot it mainly on my .308 bolt gun, but also on a .308 gas gun, a .300WM bolt gun and it went to the range several times mounted on a Steyr HS50 .50BMG.  Never had a problem out of it.

Pros:
Great glass
Built like a tank
Super reliable and dependable

Cons:
Only the "old school" Army mil-dot reticle available when it comes to "tactical" ranging reticles
Like mentioned above, MOA/mil setup

I run a MOA/mil setup on my primary rifle because I'm used to it and have been doing it for over 20 years now, so it's a non-issue to me.  With that said, the last 2 NF's I bought (a 2.5-10x32mm and the ATACR 5-25x56mm) are both MOA/MOA.

I recommend the same/same setup to anyone that is just getting started, whether it's MOA/MOA or mils/mils.  If the student is American, likes to think in inches and yards, and doesn't know the mil system already, I steer them towards the MOA/MOA setup.  I learned mils inside and out as a Scout/Sniper in the Marine Corps, but you can easily be just as effective in the field using MOA's.

If Trijicon would offer just a few options in that scope, it would easily be a top performer.  Even the way it stands now, I would readily take it over any Leupold Mk4, regardless of setup.

That's a really good price, though.  I'm sure if you bought it you would be very happy with it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#5]
cmshoot:

I did forget to mention that I turn the illum reticle all the way down for highest precision shooting. They come with it all the way up and the blooming can make a 0.25 MOA difference.

And also, about Mil Dot in general, since I have been using a rangefinder and also shooting at mostly known distances, the Mil Dot system is not that useful for high precision shooting IMO. I need some type of reticle gradations, but shooting off the Mil Dot gradations is 0.25 MIL at best. Something like the S&B reticles would be nice for total precision shooting.

However, for the military, I totally understand the Mil Dot as the stand alone ranging system it is.

And for the MIL/MOA thing, I been shooting MOA so long, I think in MOA, although the MIL system makes more sense mathematically.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 3:14:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By OhioLongRange:
the trij is moa/mil and that's 1980's gay....

+1 on that. That feature alone makes it a non-starter IMO. There is NO reason to accept a mixed-unit optic today.

I'd say the same about a 2nd focal plane mid-range+ variable optic. Again, that's IMO.

Either unit of measure is fine, but pick ONE. I ran optics with both units (MIL/MIL & MOA/MOA)  for several years until it became clear to me that MILs were just a better way to go. It's simpler to use 7.2 MILS than 42.75 MOA. Ancillary equipment (spotting scopes, for example) are far more readily available in MILS than MOA, etc.. Yards/meters has nothing to do with either one.

Bushnell and Vortex both have FFP/MIL tactical optics available for under a grand that will do 99% of what most of us will ever need. I have a $3400 Hensoldt, but keep a $900 Vortex on my "Hard times" rifle. I've beat the hell out of it for several years now with no issues.
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 8:42:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Im starting to think that mil dot reticles in general are gay and about useless except for military application.

There are so many other very nice varieties of ranging reticles that actually work with the precision shooter in mind.

As far as Mil or MOA, dosent really matter except I would choose 1/8" MOA for long range shooting.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:55:06 AM EDT
[#8]
you should also check Vortex StrikeFire Red Dot Rifle Scope (Suitable for AR-15), i heard its good for AR 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top